PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec crosses to the dark side?

simon c
9th August 2004, 11:46 AM
I noticed at the weekend that Carbatec are now a sponsor of better homes and gardens and renovation rescue (or whatever the Channel 7 one is called).

They visited what I assume was the new melbourne store and did a piece on planes. Classic comment about what would be your first plane: a power plane, of course

Simon

Ivan in Oz
9th August 2004, 01:08 PM
Classic comment about what would be your first plane: a power plane, of course

Simon

Simon,
Did you say:-
Lemmings or was that Lemons :confused:
The poor masses :(

Count
who has both Hand and Power wood Planes

Wood Borer
9th August 2004, 01:10 PM
MMMmmmmmm dark side indeed.

Depends on the job at hand of course but I am a handplane person.

My mate (does odd jobs) trimmed the top of an old girl's door the other day with his power plane. Zoooooom - fixed the jammed door in about 10 seconds but spent the next half an hour picking up the shavings which had flown all over the kitchen including in the sugar bowl, amongst the ornaments ....

A few swipes with a sharp block plane would have been much quicker and less messy. ;)

- Wood Borer

simon c
9th August 2004, 02:07 PM
To be fair, they did spend more time discussing the virtues of a block plane over the power plane but I wonder if it indicates a shift in carbatecs market, I would imagine there are a lot of home renovators in the outer East.

Simon

Sturdee
9th August 2004, 05:43 PM
Classic comment about what would be your first plane: a power plane, of course

I agree. I use my power plane :) much more than my handplane :eek: .

In anycase this show is aimed at the renovator's market and a power plane does not need hours of tuning up and/or sharpening or a long learning curve, but can be used straight out of the box.

BTW Woodborer if your mate attached a vacuum cleaner to his plane he would not make such a mess. :D

Peter.

Wood Borer
9th August 2004, 06:12 PM
But Sturdee the Vacuum Cleaner would have sucked up the sugar and the shavings - talk about a sweet sucker :D

Yes I do understand, and as we all agree - horses for courses.

That clamp of yours has since started multiplying? Another mate saw yours and was amazed at it. He came across three others for next to nothing and donated them to me. Had none a couple of months ago and now I have 4! At this rate I should have ......... in 20 years time.

- Wood Borer

Sturdee
9th August 2004, 07:29 PM
That clamp of yours has since started multiplying? ...... Had none a couple of months ago and now I have 4! At this rate I should have ......... in 20 years time.

If in a couple of months 1 became 4 , and if in a few more month these 4 breed again and become 16 , and in a few more months, etc,................ soon you'll have plenty. :D :D :D

Peter.

Bob Willson
10th August 2004, 12:41 PM
What clamp? What are we talking about here?

Wood Borer
10th August 2004, 01:14 PM
Bob,

See Sturdee's post on some clamps he made. I was fortunate to be given one when I attended the Sandfest 2004 event held at Ozwinner's shed.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8265

- Wood Borer