PDA

View Full Version : Hafco lathe

Treecycle
18th October 2009, 09:05 PM
Does anyone own or have any experience with a Hafco WL-46 lathe. I was looking at purchasing a Nova 1624-44 lathe with manual speed changes, but saw the Hafco lathe on special from Hare & Forbes for the Melbourne Wood Show for the same price. The Hafco has electronic variable speed. The equivalent Nova is double the price. Does anyone know if there is a good reason why there is such a difference in price?:?

Thanks,

Dallas

wheelinround
18th October 2009, 09:20 PM
Dallas this is one I have seen http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/unveiling-new-ot-lathe-105200/

Harry72
18th October 2009, 09:34 PM
Does anyone own or have any experience with a Hafco WL-46 lathe. I was looking at purchasing a Nova 1624-44 lathe with manual speed changes, but saw the Hafco lathe on special from Hare & Forbes for the Melbourne Wood Show for the same price. The Hafco has electronic variable speed. The equivalent Nova is double the price. Does anyone know if there is a good reason why there is such a difference in price?:?

Thanks,

Dallas
The DVRXP nova is a good mid range lathe with excellent speed and torque control, although compared to some other lathes available now they could afford to come down in price a tad IMHO.
There wasn't much of range in the price bracket when the nova DVR come out a few years back.
You can get some nice lathes around the $2~3k bracket(including a stand... and nicer colour:D)I cant vouch for the Hafco:?.

artme
18th October 2009, 10:22 PM
As Harry says the Nova has a good range of speeds and is a well made machine.

Corbs and I both have older model Novas - TL1200. They are good machines but suffer from age as they don't have cam locks for the tailstock and banjo., but that is a minor annoyance.

That Hafco lathe is an almost exact clone of a model now becoming common. I have seen them under a different brand and the people I know who own one are quite happy. You might want to check out the speed range on it.

I am wary of the figures quoted on Chinese motors. They invariably overestimate their power, sometimes by up to 20%.

Ad de Crom
18th October 2009, 11:24 PM
A Dutch forum member of me bought just a Nova 1624 woodturning lathe, which is a well designed lathe. In one word, a hell of a lathe.
Ad