PDA

View Full Version : PHOTO TOUR: Melbourne Working With Wood Show 15-18 Oct 2009 - BANDWIDTH WARNING

Groggy
18th October 2009, 09:17 PM
There will be a lot of photos following this post so it will take a while for those with limited bandwidth.

The photos were taken on Sunday 18th October 2009 in the half hour before the show opened. You can see the wider aisles and take note of the rest areas scattered around the place. I particularly like the way the public could come early, get a ticket then sit and have a cup of coffee before the gates were removed.

Notice how the aisles filled up with people once the show opened, all that space disappeared, it takes a lot of people to do that.

If you stayed at home this year then you missed a very relaxed and interesting show. If you didn't have a booth then maybe you missed out on a bumper year.

Anyway, on with the show.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 09:46 PM

Pic #6 & 7 Chris Vesper's stand just before opening on Sunday. I managed to get a 7" Sliding bevel from Chris this time around and what a joy to use it is. If you like exceptional hand tools then this is one bloke you need to go and see.

Pic #12, Jim Carroll and at Jim's stand. They appeared to be busy all weekend.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 09:48 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 09:53 PM
... Note the last pic shows a really decent grinder rest that is sold by Shane Connell Wolf. They were $60 ea and his email is timberwolfturner at gmail.com.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 09:57 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:01 PM

Lignum
18th October 2009, 10:04 PM
Great stuff Groggy:2tsup::2tsup:

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:04 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:05 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:13 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:14 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:16 PM
.......... Lie Nielsen fans may be interested in the new 16" tenon saw. Only released for a few weeks before the show.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:21 PM
........... 10am and the doors open. From here the pictures repeat to show how the crowd fills the open spaces.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:25 PM

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:27 PM
Pic #9, outside tables, food stall and entertainment harmonising with the sound of a Lucas Mill in operation. It doesn't get any better than that.

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:29 PM

Pic #6, follow the tales off into the distance - that is where you bought the tucker.
Pic #7, the kids were having a ball (I couldn't get in there :( )

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:31 PM
..............Somewhere in here one of our membership is about to outlay a whole lot of money. The machine isn't fubar, the member is :)

Groggy
18th October 2009, 10:35 PM
................That's all until next year. Don't forget to put some feedback in for the organisers in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f135/feedback-melbourne-working-wood-show-15-18-oct-2009-a-106669/)

This series: Note Alistair with the two rulers - he is testing the dovetails to ensure they match. They rulers accentuate any error.

Last pic - our host just prior to the doors opening on the final day.

EDIT: The original of these pics are 5-6 mb in size. Anyone who would like an original in full size sent me a PM and I will make it available to you.

munruben
18th October 2009, 11:15 PM
Great pics, Thanks for taking the time to show us. :2tsup::2tsup:

GC
18th October 2009, 11:56 PM
Awesome pics, great show!

AUSSIE
19th October 2009, 03:17 AM
Great job Groggy as well as a great show.I met you briefly at the WWF hideout:2tsup:

Expat
19th October 2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks mate. I'd love to be down there for one of the local shows at some point but it seems like they're all on when I'm not around or planning to be!

Woodwould
19th October 2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks Groggy for the pictures and a big thanks for dedicating all your free time over the three days of the show. :thyel:

Cliff Rogers
19th October 2009, 08:31 AM
:2tsup:

It seems odd to see people wearing coats & jumpers. :D

wheelinround
19th October 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Groggy great insight into the show.:2tsup:

I can see at the U-beaut stand Christopher in his usual pose's ..............
1 "I'll never look as big as the Boss"
2 Bored!!
3 Neil asking "Where the F*&^% is he??
4 Still looking for Christopher
5 He's really done it this time they've left me all alone!!!

Groggy
19th October 2009, 09:53 AM
Great job Groggy as well as a great show.I met you briefly at the WWF hideout:2tsup:Yes, as I was barrelling off back to the stand. We were checking each other's hats (as your missus pointed out :) ).

Sorry I didn't stop to chat longer but Sunday I was running around trying to get all the pics done. Good to meet you anyway :2tsup:

NCArcher
19th October 2009, 10:22 AM

Is that what they are? I thought they were all just fat :doh:

(I'm allowed to say that because i'm an ex Mex as well)

Great shots, thanks Groggy

issatree
19th October 2009, 10:27 AM
Morning Groggy,
What a Great Set of Photos, & that wood ? have taken up a fair amount of your time.
Dedication is the "word". Congrats on your Big Effort, & to the other Forumites that Helped out as well, & there were quite a few of them. " Great Show ".
Best Regards,
issatree.

AUSSIE
19th October 2009, 11:15 AM

Is that what they are? I thought they were all just fat :doh:

(I'm allowed to say that because i'm an ex Mex as well)

Great shots, thanks Groggy
Cant work NSW & QLD out at all.A year or so back,there was a box making Challenge.It was extended from a month to 2 MONTHS .One of the reasons from memory was it is to cold and I may get my fingys cold.Or my shed floated away.Plus other lame excuses:D:D:D
Maybe we better stop telling them how good the show was,we dont want them jumpimg the border do we?

dai sensei
19th October 2009, 12:00 PM
Great effort Groggy :2tsup:

For those of us that couldn't make it this year to Melbourne, it provides a really good overview of the show.

Thanks mate

WoodJunky
19th October 2009, 10:38 PM
Great pics, Thanks for taking the time to show us. :2tsup::2tsup:

My words exactly

:2tsup: you have certainly done a great job :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
20th October 2009, 09:01 AM
Great work greg it gives a very good overview of the show.

Shedhand
17th November 2009, 11:49 AM
Excellent photo tour Greg. :2tsup: Looks a fantastic venue. Hope Liz CAN organise a package deal for Tassie people as I'd love to get over there next year.
Cheers
Sheddie in the shed.

KevM
17th November 2009, 01:10 PM
Excellent photo tour Greg. :2tsup: Looks a fantastic venue. Hope Liz CAN organise a package deal for Tassie people as I'd love to get over there next year.
Cheers
Sheddie in the shed.
Mike,
What sort of package are you after?

I go regularly, the dates are advertised well in advance, so all you need to do is keep an eye on the airlines for cheap prices for the dates you want to travel. Have you registered with Jetstar and vigin to get the e-mail special offers?

Accommodation too can be picked up at a good price by looking around.

You may even be able to negotiate with some Tasmanian exhibitors to bring your bulkier/weighty purchases back.

Shedhand
17th November 2009, 01:31 PM
Mike,
What sort of package are you after?

I go regularly, the dates are advertised well in advance, so all you need to do is keep an eye on the airlines for cheap prices for the dates you want to travel. Have you registered with Jetstar and vigin to get the e-mail special offers?

Accommodation too can be picked up at a good price by looking around.

You may even be able to negotiate with some Tasmanian exhibitors to bring your bulkier/weighty purchases back.G'day Kev. I' suggested to Liz (EEE) that a Travel and Accomodation package might be worthwhile for Tassie people as we don't have our own show anymore. She said she will get to wotk on it. I suggested she contact TT Line and Forestry Tas to see if they would do something. As for the airlines mate, stuff 'em. Won't be treated like cattle (probably been spoiled by 20 years flying business class everywhere :-) Would rather the overnight comfort of the ferry. I posted (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f135/2010-melbourne-t-ww-show-108387/)a poll for Tassie forum members to gauge interest.
Cheers
Sheddie in the shed

BryanMc
20th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Hey,

The photo of Alastair checking the dovetails with rulers shows the back of my head, probably my best side but no need for the original size photo, thanks anyway!

watson
20th January 2010, 09:41 PM
We all thought so too :U :U :U