PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Vic Ash 550 x 550 x 35

Calm
20th October 2009, 06:36 PM
<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <hr style="color: rgb(240, 233, 208); background-color: rgb(240, 233, 208);" size="1"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->To make a special platter i need a peice of Vic Ash (light coloured hardwood). No cracks, no bark inclusions. Dry - An end off a slab would do the trick.

Willing to swap blackwood or pay reasonable price.

The finished size of the platter will hopefully be 500 minimum diameter by about 10 to 20mm thick. I intend to insert a peice of highly figured redgum hence the need for light colour.

This could end up as a square platter or round.

Similar to this platter but flat.

Cheers

thefixer
20th October 2009, 10:00 PM
The closest I can get is claret ash which looks very much like vic ash only much better to turn. I posted this some time ago and still have the log on the left.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/claret-ash-94645/

Cheers
Shorty

brendan stemp
22nd October 2009, 12:48 PM
I have some but it has been joined. Came from Melb Uni law library. Bookshelves. You are welcome to it if you want it.

Calm
24th October 2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the offers but i really want one piece and dry

I may have to cut up a couple of dry trees at the farm and see whats in them. White gum (i think) but i reckon they are full of cracks so wont be any good.

Maybe a plain bit of Blackwood and inset the Redgum in that but i thought a light dark scheme would look better.

This is my first attempt at a "Gallery quality" piece so i can wait for the right bit of wood.

Cheers