PDA

View Full Version : Micro Finials , for those who dare

Manuka Jock
20th October 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not a Finial turner myself , yet , but I though this might be of interest to those who are , and to those who are not :)

Micro Finials (http://www.australianburls.com/Tips/TurningInProgressPhotos.htm) , about halfway down the page .

Could be a challenge in it for those who dare :p

orificiam
20th October 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not a Finial turner myself , yet , but I though this might be of interest to those who are , and to those who are not :)

Micro Finials (http://www.australianburls.com/Tips/TurningInProgressPhotos.htm) , about halfway down the page .

Could be a challenge in it for those who dare :p

Thanks for the link Jock. nice work
Cheers Tony.:)

tea lady
20th October 2009, 10:47 PM
:cool: Might have a go.:D With my new micro spindle gouge. have to make a handle first.:D

TTIT
20th October 2009, 11:13 PM
Not bad - but I got to see KenW's mastery today when he dropped in to say G'day - detail and finials so fine my eyesight couldn't see it without a magnifying glass :o

munruben
20th October 2009, 11:28 PM
Fascinating. Thanks for the link.:2tsup:

joe greiner
21st October 2009, 12:00 AM
Interesting use of a razor blade as a turning tool, but doing it on a giant lathe escapes me. Looks like a Powermatic (Mustard Monster). Probably very stable, though.

Cheers,
Joe

artme
21st October 2009, 12:01 AM
Great Link Jock. Thanx>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not game. My one and only functioning eye would not stand the strain!:doh:

Grumpy John
21st October 2009, 01:35 AM
Some brilliant stuff there, but a very badly designed site (IMHO). I had to shrink it to 50% to get more than one photo and a line of text on the page at a time.

tea lady
21st October 2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting use of a razor blade as a turning tool, but doing it on a giant lathe escapes me. Looks like a Powermatic (Mustard Monster). Probably very stable, though.

Cheers,
JoeApparently bigger lathes have less vibration. And since vibration and such small turnings don't go together very well.......(acording to KenW)............. But you don't need one as big as 's. :rolleyes::D

Frank&Earnest
21st October 2009, 03:49 PM
Piece of cake. With my tools, of course. :D

wheelinround
21st October 2009, 04:23 PM
minute finials thats nothing compared to 7 minature goblets with captive rings on a 5c (yes Five cent piece) If I can ever achieve the level Collin Hemmings has set I'll be a happy man.

tea lady
21st October 2009, 04:57 PM
minute finials thats nothing compared to 7 minature goblets with captive rings on a 5c (yes Five cent piece) If I can ever achieve the level Collin Hemmings has set I'll be a happy man. At least you don't need a big wood collection.:rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
21st October 2009, 06:07 PM
minute finials thats nothing compared to 7 minature goblets with captive rings on a 5c (yes Five cent piece) If I can ever achieve the level Collin Hemmings has set I'll be a happy man.

I hope I won't offend anybody, but I do not consider miniatures a real test of skill, (as proven by the fact that even I can do it:D), if anything a test of steady hands and good (corrected:D) eyesight, qualities we are all slowly losing anyway. I humbly submit that miniatures are only a minute :D part of the craft of turning.

wheelinround
21st October 2009, 06:40 PM
I hope I won't offend anybody, but I do not consider miniatures a real test of skill, (as proven by the fact that even I can do it:D), if anything a test of steady hands and good (corrected:D) eyesight, qualities we are all slowly losing anyway. I humbly submit that miniatures are only a minute :D part of the craft of turning.

No offence FE even Col would have to admit that.:roll:

It is when you use a hatchet with only one real eye, aged 82 had numerous strokes.

Manuka Jock
21st October 2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/119854d1256100572t-micro-finials-those-who-dare-finial.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/119854d1256100572-micro-finials-those-who-dare-finial.jpg)

Piece of cake. With my tools, of course. :D

Crikey , if thats ya matches , how big are ya fags ? :oo:

Frank&Earnest
21st October 2009, 09:49 PM
Crikey , if thats ya matches , how big are ya fags ? http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/eek.gif<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I don't have any fags. :oo: Would you care for another reference? :D The numbers in the photo are correct, how many microns' tolerance do you allow me? :)

Allan at Wallan
22nd October 2009, 08:19 PM
Not bad - but I got to see KenW's mastery today when he dropped in to say G'day - detail and finials so fine my eyesight couldn't see it without a magnifying glass :o

Glad to see you got to meet KenW - he is certainly a man on
the move.

While he is away from the club we can display our "second rate"
turnings without a great deal of fear.:D

Look out when he returns though - he will be expecting some
quality items to be on show.

Allan

jefferson
22nd October 2009, 11:00 PM

Yep, Vern, he is an interesting fellow isn't he?:wink::wink: Dunno how Helen or the rest of us put up with him.....

Like , he's given me some free lessons that have helped immensely.

But after a trip to Ken's "humble" holiday accommodations - they call it "Millionaire Row" on the lake for good reason (plus his 25m x 10m shed and turning on his 3rd Stubby), I realised that I had to get to the eye doctor.

Even with 1.5 times mag. I can't see the entry cuts on the really fine stuff.

I hope Vern you'll be bringing some REAL STUFF to Prossie for WWW to turn. Got any diamonds?

Now that will fix the bugger wouldn't it - why haven't I thought about it before??? :?

We just need to find a benefactor with a lump of the blue stuff from WA, say 75mm square..... I'd love to be there.

TTIT
22nd October 2009, 11:13 PM
..............................I hope Vern you'll be bringing some REAL STUFF to Prossie for WWW to turn. .......................Already sorted - gave him a chunk of the hardest stuff I've got - glad to see the last of it - you'll just have to convince him to try it at Prossy so we can all see how it goes :;:U

jefferson
23rd October 2009, 11:49 AM
Vern,

As Ken often says / warns me, be wary as it will come back "ten-fold".

So if I dare him to turn the piece - and he will accept the challenge and turn it well - I'd then have to put up with his little victory. :rolleyes:

Thus, undecided. Let me have a look at the offending lump first. What was it BTW?

Travis Edwards
23rd October 2009, 09:15 PM
Apparently bigger lathes have less vibration. And since vibration and such small turnings don't go together very well.......(acording to KenW)............. But you don't need one as big as 's. :rolleyes::D

I do similar in steel on a 6 ton 9 ft bed lang model 10A4 lathe...lol

dont know that it would be too practical with the kids but it looks good.

Frank&Earnest
31st October 2009, 09:06 PM

Here it is, Wheelie. A 5c piece has a diametre of almost 20mm, more than 3/4", so the goblets need to be 1/4" diametre to fit 7 on it.

The goblet is nothing, it is the @#$% ring that's the problem. I snapped 3 before getting the hang of it.

This one will have to do, life is too short to turn the other 6. :wink:

Thanks to Andy and Vern for the 3" concrete nail idea.

tea lady
31st October 2009, 09:38 PM
Did you sand the inside of the ring? :D:p Very tricky F&E! :cool:

wheelinround
31st October 2009, 09:38 PM
Here it is, Wheelie. A 5c piece has a diametre of almost 20mm, more than 3/4", so the goblets need to be 1/4" diametre to fit 7 on it.

The goblet is nothing, it is the @#$% ring that's the problem. I snapped 3 before getting the hang of it.

This one will have to do, life is too short to turn the other 6. :wink:

Thanks to Andy and Vern for the 3" concrete nail idea.

Well done FE :2tsup: I won't ask which eye you had the patch over :U

No honestly a brilliant job I can't see me doing it :no:

As Col used to say "It can be done"

Ray

Frank&Earnest
31st October 2009, 09:53 PM
Well done FE :2tsup: I won't ask which eye you had the patch over :U

Thanks Ray, I was actually worried I might end up with one... being shortsighted I had my nose too close to the chuck for comfort and no glasses to protect my eyes...:U

TL, life is also too short to sand that stuff...:D

wheelinround
1st November 2009, 07:56 AM
Forgot we had one of Col's little turnings here he had given Sue.

A AAA battery beside this would be one of his bigger miniatures :U yes its off centre turned