PDA

View Full Version : 3 little bowls - Stress releif.

Calm
21st October 2009, 09:28 PM
Spent a bit of time in the shed since 's BBQ and would just picked up a lump of wood and put it in the lathe (Yep the STUBBY of course).

Shape was just what happened with no plans just turned then down and ended up with these 3 bowls. A different shaped foot on one to "see what it looked like".

With the "what tools do you use" thread in mind all was done with a 3/8" Henry taylor Bowl gouge, a 1" Henry Taylor skew (used for the tenon/recess for the chuck)

All had plenty of cracks so they were filed with 5 minute araldite or CA, the "closed" shape one (1st three photos) was not sanded well, then the kids thought it was ok so once again i got caught with a badly finished bowl.

The 2 "open" shaped ones (photo 4 to 9) were sanded to 400, then 800 and 1200 (wet & dry left over from daughters ute repairs). All are finished with EEE then Glow.

These were done just for something to do and probably should have just been thrown in the bin but talking to Jeff on the phone he said "put them up" so here they are.

Not my best work but "interesting bits of wood" - first 2 are Blackwood last one (photo 7,8,9) peppermint

Do others always finish everything or like me sometimes just turn with the intention of just throwing it away because it is plain or cracked - not very appealing?

Cheers

thefixer
21st October 2009, 09:48 PM
Sometimes ya just gotta chuck a lump of wood in the lathe and go for it. I've done it plenty of times for no other reason than just to relax and relieve a bit of stress ( you might even say it has a CALMing effect:D) Occasionally something good comes out of it but more often it just ends as a practice session and a pile of kindling and firewood. It helps to forget about other problems even if for a little while.

Cheers
Shorty

artme
22nd October 2009, 06:37 AM
Nothing like the relaxing whir of a lump of timber, provide it is not heading your way at 900mph.:q:q

Noice bowls BTW.

Calm
22nd October 2009, 08:13 AM
Changed photos this morning, still dont claim to be a photographer but most of the fuzzy stuff has gone.

Cheers

Rum Pig
22nd October 2009, 08:42 AM
They look OK from here :2tsup::2tsup:

I like the Blackwood nice looking timber.

I never throw a bowl away even if it is full of cracks and resembles a jigsaw puzzle rather than a turned master piece because they always come in handy even if they just still in the shed hold nuts and bolts:)

TTIT
22nd October 2009, 09:29 AM
I always finish off to some degree these days. Regardless of what I think of it in the shed, I usually put a finish on them and sit them on the table for a few days to ponder what's good or bad about them. Too many times, I've wished I hadn't wasted the oil on it and someone has walked in, taken a liking to it and taken it home with them. :shrug: - there's no accounting for taste - good or bad :shrug:

Nice work by the way :2tsup:

Calm
22nd October 2009, 10:12 AM
They are all sanded from 180, 240, 320, 400 & finished with eee & glow it is just the first one i started at 180 grit and didnt bother to remove the "tool marks" before i moved to the next grit, the base was not finished either just hand sanded flat.

Just lazy but like you Vern i always finish with at least eee & glow and take them inside for show & tell and look at them for a while to see what i think of them.

Sometimes they get taken and sometimes after about a week they go into the firewood box with the bandsaw offcuts.

Cheers

jefferson
22nd October 2009, 10:27 AM
David, good to see you using the Subby again. :2tsup:

I like the 3rd last pic. The bead really sets the piece off IMHO. How you cut the bead this time?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2009, 10:35 AM
:2tsup:

What TTiT and Rummy said!

About the only ones I toss straight away are the ones where I'm working to a plan (which I hate) and screw up, so need to start again - or the ones that fall to so many pieces that there'd be more araldite than wood and no diagram for re-assembly. :rolleyes:

rsser
22nd October 2009, 10:49 AM
A bit of play is good but once the tool work is finished I decide whether it's a keeper. I hate sanding with a vengeance and don't do it with a piece that's clearly flawed.

But like TTIT it may take some time to make a decision; sometimes months, and it may be remounted to refine something.

Calm
22nd October 2009, 10:57 AM
David, good to see you using the Subby again. :2tsup:

I like the 3rd last pic. The bead really sets the piece off IMHO. How you cut the bead this time?

3/8 Henry Taylor bowl gouge, same tool grind as the inside of the first bowl. - no catches

The 2 similar ones show the difference between wider base to thinner base - i think the closser to 1/3 rd rule is definetly better.

A bit of play is good but once the tool work is finished I decide whether it's a keeper. I hate sanding with a vengeance and don't do it with a piece that's clearly flawed.

But like TTIT it may take some time to make a decision; sometimes months, and it may be remounted to refine something.

Same here Ern (you may have taught me that bit as well) trouble is if left it is often out of round or i have removed the tenon/recess and that makes it harder to finish when someone takes a liking to it.

Thanks for the remarks.

Cheers

Ed Reiss
22nd October 2009, 11:53 AM
well, David...at least the Stubby is getting some use and your gaining experience with every piece...that's a good thing :2tsup: