PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Escoulen Chuck review/assesment

Grumpy John
22nd October 2009, 10:55 AM
I have not actually used the chuck yet so this a "first impression" assessment.

Packaging: As usual for Vicmarc products the chuck was packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. The chuck and 40mm cup chuck were well coated with antirust compound and all accessories included.

Finish: The finish quality was top class apart from some machining marks in the centre of the faceplate (optional accessory). There were no sharp edges as every corner was either chamfered or radiused, all drilled holes were chamfered also. The threads were well cut and everything screwed together smoothly. The "push in" accessories fitted perfectly, not sloppy, not tight. The engraved marks to assist with offsets were crisp and well defined.

General: Rotating the workpiece is done by releasing 3 grub screws and rotating the piece to the desired setting. There are 12 marks around the circumference of the cup chuck giving 30 deg. increments. My personal opinion it that 15 deg. increments would be better, 10 deg. would be perfect (obviously the decision for 12 increments is a financial one). To offset the chuck you loosen 2 hex head bolts and turn the capscrew on the side of the chuck there are increments at 10mm, 20mm and 30mm to guide the amount of offset.
* First negative comment. The cap screw used for the offset is not long enough and disengages from the chuck at about 28mm. A tap with a soft hammer is required to achieve the full 30mm offset. You will also need to tap the chuck back onto the screw.
I made a slight modification here. I put a centre punch mark on the screw head and on the body, I can now offset accurately in 1mm increments, and come back to the same place with reasonable accuracy. Don't forget to tighten the hex head bolts before commencing any turning.
The ballchuck allows the workpiece to be swivelled up to 15 deg. off the centre line. By making use of the engraved lines around the circumference of the ball you can offset in 5 deg. increments.
* Second negative comment. The ball chuck comes supplied with 1 pointed grub screw for location and 1 flat grub screw for clamping. The inclusion of 3 pointed grub screws would make centering the ball chuck much easier.

Conclusion: Vicmarc have done an excellent job with this chuck and I look forward to turning many interesting pieces with it.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Well defined markings
119934 119937 119938 119936

A slight modification

An extra 2 pointed grub screws would be nice :)

The chuck complete with standard accessories

The extras I purchased, M30 Ball, M30 Faceplate and Ball Adaptor

Slightly rough finish on the centre of the faceplate

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2009, 11:28 AM
General: Rotating the workpiece is done by releasing 3 grub screws and rotating the piece to the desired setting. There are 12 marks around the circumference of the cup chuck giving 30 deg. increments. My personal opinion it that 15 deg. increments would be better, 10 deg. would be perfect (obviously the decision for 12 increments is a financial one).

I've never understood why, on a tool like this, they only have the one indexing reference mark. If they'd put just one extra mark at 10° on each side it would, in effect, give you what you want. :~

Surely a whole two more marks wouldn't break their budget?

That gripe out of the way, it looks like a nice toy, and a good, informative initial review.

So... when are you going to spin it in anger? Are you going to show before and after shots of the shed walls? :innocent:

Grumpy John
22nd October 2009, 05:35 PM
So... when are you going to spin it in anger? Are you going to show before and after shots of the shed walls? :innocent:

Oh ye of little faith :rolleyes:.

I turned up a quick bowl from cedar kindly given to me by Steck (one man's allergy is another man's good fortune). I've never had much luck with waste blocks and hot melt glue, but this one held together (I was s#!^^ing bricks the whole time :runaway::sweat:).
I can see this chuck makes it very easy to do off-centre/eccentric turning, but it's gunna take a long time to master, there's a little bit of chipping around the inner rim. A quick skim through the DVD and I know just enough to be dangerous :D.

119962 119961 119972

119971 119963

119964 119965 119966

119967 119968 119969

tea lady
22nd October 2009, 06:50 PM
:cool:

Ken Ws had three pointy grub screws AND three flat ones. :shrug:

I have some ideas for some chisel handles.!:D

Groggy
22nd October 2009, 07:12 PM
Now THAT looks like fun :)

Nice crisp turning by the look of it :2tsup:

steck
22nd October 2009, 07:28 PM
Now that does look like fun!
Glad to see some of that cedar going to good use!!:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
22nd October 2009, 07:59 PM
Usually when we see a sight like this , its' cause for alarm

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/119971d1256192989t-vicmarc-escoulen-chuck-review-assesment-off-running.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/119971d1256192989-vicmarc-escoulen-chuck-review-assesment-off-running.jpg)

This time :2tsup: :U

artme
22nd October 2009, 09:41 PM
Good on you GJ.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I know they are pricey but they add a whole new aspect to turning.

Have lots more fun with it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2009, 12:12 AM
:brava:

Nicely done. Cedar can be a right mongrel for chipping out, being so soft and sometimes coarse grained. I'd be proud of that bowl, warts 'n all.

Grumpy John
23rd October 2009, 08:24 AM
:brava:

Nicely done. Cedar can be a right mongrel for chipping out, being so soft and sometimes coarse grained. I'd be proud of that bowl, warts 'n all.

Thankyou :B

Manuka Jock
23rd October 2009, 09:12 PM
I was having a cast around the net , to find out a bit about Escoulen himself , and I found this , from our mate in the Tokyo dungeon .

Then it occurred to me , that I have not seen any of his postings for about a year .
Anyone know what Stu is up to ?