PDA

View Full Version : More experimenting

corbs
24th October 2009, 10:17 PM
Still playing around with inside out turning. I was always impressed with this style of turning but have a new respect for the people that do it now. I am really not happy with the forms but will keep playing with them and see if I can clean them up. I think I need to experiment with bigger pieces though. Have been using scraps but I am really not well set up for turning on this small scale. Have another couple glued up in the shed so will see how they turn out.

Corbs

artme
24th October 2009, 10:55 PM
Ok Corbs, so you are still learning! So what? I would be embarrassed to put some of my experiments up.:B:B

Persistence is the name of the game and you get an official :2tsup: from me for trying something new.:)

nalmo
25th October 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm also thinking of giving "inside out" turning a go. You might get some good ideas here: YouTube - Wood Lathe Projects 1 of 5 and the 4 videos that follow.

Texian
25th October 2009, 01:30 PM
Corbs, What size are the pieces you posted? Do you glue the whole pieces or just the ends? Made an I/O vase some years ago, maybe 175-200 mm tall, but don't have a picture.

Ozkaban
25th October 2009, 04:28 PM
Very instreresting construction. Looks fun and frustrating all at the same time.

Thanks for the vids, Nalmo. Now I know what Inside Out Turning is :B

Cheers,
Dave

corbs
25th October 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the vids Nalmo, his are a lot more intricate than mine:D.

Texian, they are a bit under 80mm tall. I turned another one today which I am much happier with but still the same basic design and its a fair bit bigger too. I am putting a poly finish on it so will post pics once thats done.

Texian
26th October 2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Corbs. Looking forward to seeing the new one.