PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Robert Sorby's modular tool rest system

Sturdee
26th October 2009, 08:23 AM
Having upgraded my lathe I'm thinking of improving the tool rest with some ( or all) of Robert Sorby's modular tool rest system which is a collection of 6 different hardened steel crossbars to replace the standard one that came with my lathe.

Has anyone any experience with this system and is it as good as the makers claim and is there an equivalent but cheaper system available? All help gratefully received as I'm only new to turning.

Peter.

rsser
26th October 2009, 09:19 AM
Peter, I've eyballed them and have my doubts. Seem a bit light weight to me.

There's a range of angled and curved rests on the market now produced by lathe makers and 3rd parties. They're heavier but cost more. I'd suggest you start with one or two of those as suits your needs.

Added: apart from the box rest the Sorby's use round section steel. These mean more tool overhang cp. bent or cast 'plate' section (that said, I use custom-made curved rests, all out of bent rod). As for the box rest, the angles a horizontal plate require you to adopt when scraping make for difficulty in tool control.

Woodwould
26th October 2009, 09:24 AM
I bought the tool post and several of the tool rests and attachments. The quality is second to none. The advantage of such diversity is a great bonus to someone like me who uses the lathe to turn anything from 5/8" diameter drawer knobs to chisel handles to chair legs. Others may not gain the same value from the adaptability as I do.

I bought a 1" stem in error (my lathe actually accepts a 25mm stem), so if anyone wants a 1" stem (part # 765/S24) at cost price plus postage, drop me a PM. :U

Jim Carroll
26th October 2009, 12:46 PM
Peter, I've eyballed them and have my doubts. Seem a bit light weight to me.

Ern they are made to a size to compliment the posts. As you say they would not want to be any larger. The 9" toolrest is big enough for most applications and the S shape are not too big to be awkward.

Their big advantage over most toolrests is the hardened steel toolrest in not getting any nicks or dings like a conventional tool rest.

steck
31st October 2009, 06:29 PM
I bought the 6" and the S curve rest and I'm happy with them. As Jim said, they are hardened and i haven't put any dings in mine over the last 12 months.
:2tsup:

bellyup
1st November 2009, 09:52 AM
I've bought the "s" rest and the 4" jobbie and am very happy..... I wish I had bought a separate stem for each though as changing them (unscrewing)once they are screwed up tight is PITA.
Bruce.

Little Festo
1st November 2009, 10:21 PM
I have the "S" and a straight one. They "S" has been very useful when turning undercut rims that restrict my normal tool rest. I can get further in with a gouge rather than use the Munroe hollower - and get a cleaner cut.

Peter

Sturdee
5th November 2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I had an opportunity to try them out over the weekend, thanks to Soren, and that and the positive advice given has convinced me to get them.

I'll get the 9" and S bend (together with a stem for both) as a start and add to it as required.

Peter.

hughie
5th November 2009, 01:22 PM
Their big advantage over most tool rests is the hardened steel tool rest in not getting any nicks or dings like a conventional tool rest.

A very good point and in this they are much better than conventional cast iron rests.