PDA

View Full Version : Proserpine turners - Vermec sphere cutter

jefferson
26th October 2009, 02:27 PM
Would any of the Prossie guys have one of the sphere Vermec cutting jigs? Jim Carroll just sent me mine (thanks Jim). :2tsup:

DJ showed me how to operate the beast some time back and unfortunately I didn't take notes.

Can one of you guys able able to give me a quick demo over the weekend?

Thanks in advance.

wheelinround
26th October 2009, 09:32 PM
http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/spherecuttingjig.pdf you mean you got one of these you didn't make it yourself :roll: gee

Easy as turning a finial I'd say.

jefferson
26th October 2009, 10:17 PM
Wheelinaround,

I couldn't open the link for some reason.

No, I couldn't make the tool myself. I havet enough trouble with making something out of wood. :doh:

But I have seen DJ use one and it's definitely easier than a finial. IMHO of course. Still waiting for the FNQ guys to assist ....... :rolleyes:

wheelinround
27th October 2009, 08:01 AM
Wheelinaround,

I couldn't open the link for some reason.

No, I couldn't make the tool myself. I havet enough trouble with making something out of wood. :doh:

But I have seen DJ use one and it's definitely easier than a finial. IMHO of course. Still waiting for the FNQ guys to assist ....... :rolleyes:

Sorry Jefferson still working for me this morning but here's the pdf

Ball turning jig's are easy to use rough turn shape first is easiest then set tool to centre height, set to diam & centre of required ball size, cutter tool distance and do a test swing RPM to suit required finish.

Manuka Jock
27th October 2009, 08:52 AM
I see from that link that it can also cut internally . How is it for bowls and platters ?
Is it worth the time to set up for them ? Is the finish any better

DJ’s Timber
27th October 2009, 09:16 AM
I see from that link that it can also cut internally . How is it for bowls and platters ?
Is it worth the time to set up for them ? Is the finish any better

You still need to remove the bulk by hand in the traditional way with a gouge otherwise you'd be there for a while.

It leaves a finish ready to sand from 180/240 as long as the last couple of cuts were fine and you took your time. I've only used mine for turning spheres but I'm sure it do just a good a job internal as well.

Manuka Jock
27th October 2009, 09:39 AM
You still need to remove the bulk by hand in the traditional way with a gouge otherwise you'd be there for a while.

It leaves a finish ready to sand from 180/240 as long as the last couple of cuts were fine and you took your time. I've only used mine for turning spheres but I'm sure it do just a good a job internal as well.

Cheers for that .

hughie
27th October 2009, 12:27 PM
I made my own some what similar, you will find they are not to hard to master. A couple spheres and you have it down pat. :2tsup: