PDA

View Full Version : Heritance FP nib group buy

BoomerangInfo
26th October 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Folks,

Preliminary post for a group buy for Heritance Fountain pen nibs from Lou Metcalf in the USA. I have yet to work out costs, prices, postage etc etc, or even whether Lou has any available currently. Web site is here (http://www.heritagepens.com/index.php) for gold or here (http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=47&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60) for steel for those who don't know what they are. There is an aricle on how to replace them here (http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/nibreplacement.pdf).

If you are interest, please list the foillowing

1. Nib type (SS or Gold)
2. Nib size (Small or Large)
3. Tip size ( Fine, Medium or Large)
4. Number required

Not not all nibs are availabile in all specifications and if anyone does want the gold ones, there willprobably have to be a severe limit due to customs restrictions.

Also please note, due to the potential cost involved, I will need payment in advance.

Will post again when I have more details.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
26th October 2009, 11:02 PM
Ok folks,

Well it looks like they're out of the main nibs currently (1sf small fine and medium) so I'm awaiting a reply on lead times.

Will update when I can.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 07:08 AM
OK, Lou has plenty of nibs, so place your bets! I'd like to get the numbers sorted by Thursday night if we could.

Full price per steel nib is about AUS$6.60 from Lou but I expect we will get a discount, add somewhere between $5-$10 for final postage costs delivered to you per package and that's the price range you are looking at.

Russell.

Simomatra
27th October 2009, 08:20 AM
Russell

What is the price of the 18carat gold nibs I note on Lou's site they are $110 and on exotic they are $80? The steel nibs are also $4.4 for more than 5

I have an interest in
2 18 carat gold large medium at $80 and
5 sf small fine
5 sf medium small

Just let us know

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 08:39 AM
Russell

What is the price of the 18carat gold nibs I note on Lou's site they are $110 and on exotic they are $80? The steel nibs are also $4.4 for more than 5

I have an interest in
2 18 carat gold large medium at $80 and
5 sf small fine
5 sf medium small

Just let us know

Yeah I noticed that too and am following up with him. All Lou has told me so far is that the SF nibs are normally 6 for US$30, and you can't get a web price on the other unless you're a whoelsaler, so I'm a little confused. I'm assuming we'll at least get down to the $4.40 each, unless the web site is out of date.

Russell.

PenTurner
27th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Russell my price for nibs may be a little different than yours, I have worked something out in the past with Lou. I will PM you lest we cross wires. Amos:)

PenTurner
27th October 2009, 09:29 AM
I can only see the small gold nibs on his site, maybe the Large gold nibs are out of stock. Amos:)

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 09:32 AM
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do we know which nib suits which kit? I have no idea if small or large will suit, or even if they're interchangeable... The kits I'd mainly do are the Berea Barons or similar.

I'll probably get something in the order of

5x Heritance 1SF Steel Nib, Small, fine tip
5x Heritance 1SF Steel Nib, Small, medium tip

that's assuming rhe small nibs suit the pen kits...

Thanks,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 09:44 AM
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do we know which nib suits which kit? I have no idea if small or large will suit, or even if they're interchangeable... The kits I'd mainly do are the Berea Barons or similar.

I'm already following up on that, but I think it generally goes up to Baron/Sedona/ and the Jr's are small nibs, and you have to go up to the big ones (Emperor, Majestic etc) before you need the large.

If Amos or Sam could enlighten us would be good, otherwise I should get the info back from Lou sometime in the next day or two.

Russell.

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm already following up on that, but I think it generally goes up to Baron/Sedona/ and the Jr's are small nibs, and you have to go up to the big ones (Emperor, Majestic etc) before you need the large.

If Amos or Sam could enlighten us would be good, otherwise I should get the info back from Lou sometime in the next day or two.

Russell.

That's what I was guessing - I couldn't imagine the smaller FP's having the large nibs. If the small ones are not going to be available for the group buy, I may wait and put in my own order (they have lots of goodies on that site :D)

Cheers,
Dave

Simomatra
27th October 2009, 10:41 AM
All the junior series and small ones carry the #5 the larger ones use the #6

Some measurements for you

Nib Small (#5) Large (#6)
Feed Diameter 5.45 mm. 6 mm.
Total Length of nib only 26 mm. 35 mm.
Width at Shoulders 7 mm. 8.5 mm.
Center Vent Hole to Tip 9.4 mm. 11.5 mm.
Thread (at the back) 6.4 mm. (not available) 7.3 mm.
Total Length of Nib in Section
Without Nipple 46.25 mm. (not available) 43.1 mm.
Tipping width .7 mm (a generous medium) .7 mm (a generous medium)

The large nib assembly with the feed & housing will simply screw into the following common kits without any modifications: Gentlemen's, Statesmen & Emperor. They will also work for some others, but with slight modifications.

The smaller nib unit will fit Jr. Gentlemen's, Jr. Statesmen V1 & V2, Baron, Navigator and most other kits using this size nib. Some minor modifications will need to be done for some other kits.
Hint: most kit pen nibs themselves can be pulled straight out of the pen along with the feed. The new gold nib can then be slid back into the section along with the feed.

I hope this helps they are extracts from an IAP members site

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 11:54 AM
That's what I was guessing - I couldn't imagine the smaller FP's having the large nibs. If the small ones are not going to be available for the group buy, I may wait and put in my own order (they have lots of goodies on that site :D)

Cheers,
Dave

Here's the direct quote from Lou when i asked what we has currently :-

I have plenty of steel nibs in both large and small size and both sizes in medium and fine tips.

So availability doesn't seem to be a problem with the steel at least.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 01:54 PM
Right, another update.

He's out of the standard gold nibs. I've asked for an ETA. Only has the Anniversary nib, which it seems from the web site is a large one.

I have a price on the nibs, which is cheaper, but I'm not going to post it publicly yet until Lou gives the OK, otherwise all those interested will get a PM with the price.

Russell.

Rum Pig
27th October 2009, 02:06 PM
I will interested in buying some.
I would be interested in the small nibs 5 of each fine and medium and if it is possible one of the calligraphy sets

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 02:09 PM
I will interested in buying some.
I would be interested in the small nibs 5 of each fine and medium and if it is possible one of the calligraphy sets

I was looking at those as well (along with everything else :rolleyes:) so may add them too, just gotta watch the effect large items have on postage, so we'll put them as tentative for now, until we see final numbers.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 02:42 PM
Sorry folks I just realised I've been confusing web sites for you all. Heritage Pens is Lou's site, Exotic Blanks is Ed Brown's site. We're looking at getting supplies from Lou, not Ed at this point in time. So we're just talking about the FP nibs.

Russell.

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 02:59 PM
No worries. But thank you for introducing Ed's site as well. Will definitely be coming back to this one... Too many fun goodies to miss with the dollar this high!

Cheers,
Dave

scorpio_oz
27th October 2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, I don't know if I'm missing something.

At the Heritage Pens site, they only show the 18k gold nibs at $110.00 each.

I can't see any other nibs, so is this what is on offer with the group buy? Just the gold nibs?

At the exotic pens site, they have the gold and steel nibs and the calligraphy pens set, but this isn't where we are buying from. Is that correct?

-Gavin

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, I don't know if I'm missing something.

At the Heritage Pens site, they only show the 18k gold nibs at $110.00 each.

I can't see any other nibs, so is this what is on offer with the group buy? Just the gold nibs?

At the exotic pens site, they have the gold and steel nibs and the calligraphy pens set, but this isn't where we are buying from. Is that correct?

-Gavin

I know it's confusing. You can look at exotic blanks to see the nibs available, but you have to be registered as a wholesaler on Heritage to see the stock, plus Lou is making concessions for our group buy on top of that. So, the steel shown at exotic in all sizes are available from heritage, plus the large anniversary gold nib shown on the heritage site (I think you can see it) is the only gold one available currently.

Russell.

PenTurner
27th October 2009, 04:07 PM
The Churchills and Cambridge use the Larger Nib, Jnr. Style pens normally use the smaller nib., With the Larger size pens, Emperors/Statesman/Gentleman they usually use a larger nib also BUT, consider your buyer here; the more expensive kits usually have an Iridium tip which is quality, except that often they put their name on it and then no matter how good it is, " it is useless as a selling point"; the prejudice against names that seem to be Asian is great, so if it says "Dayacom" or something of that sort, the buyers, if they are pen savvy. will wrinkle up their noses.
However, keep the nib of those pens, as I said they can be a fairly good quality nib and be used for those less fussy on names, or some other kit .
I will try to photograph the pulling apart of a nib tonight. Amos :)

Rum Pig
27th October 2009, 04:18 PM
Now I have looked at the correct site I think I have been under charging for my pens:o

But I can only see the gold nibs. Having said that if he is offering the steel nibs I am still interested:2tsup:

Rum Pig
27th October 2009, 04:20 PM
The Churchills and Cambridge use the Larger Nib, Jnr. Style pens normally use the smaller nib., With the Larger size pens, Emperors/Statesman/Gentleman they usually use a larger nib also BUT, consider your buyer here; the more expensive kits usually have an Iridium tip which is quality, except that often they put their name on it and then no matter how good it is, " it is useless as a selling point"; the prejudice against names that seem to be Asian is great, so if it says "Dayacom" or something of that sort, the buyers, if they are pen savvy. will wrinkle up their noses.
However, keep the nib of those pens, as I said they can be a fairly good quality nib and be used for those less fussy on names, or some other kit .
I will try to photograph the pulling apart of a nib tonight. Amos :)

Sorry forgot to say thankyou for that info Amos and the pictorial would be much appreciated:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 04:23 PM
There was a pictorial PDF link (http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/nibreplacement.pdf)in the first post that showed how to replace them. Is that what you meant, or am I being daft again (brain going dead - rotten day at work :(( )?

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
27th October 2009, 04:35 PM
There was a pictorial PDF link (http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/nibreplacement.pdf)in the first post that showed how to replace them. Is that what you meant, or am I being daft again (brain going dead - rotten day at work :(( )?

Cheers,
Dave
I must have missed that thank you :2tsup: Might have a practise tonight:)

PenTurner
27th October 2009, 07:09 PM
Please put me down for
10 Steel nibs Large with Medium tip
1 x Heritance Gold nib
Thanks Amos:)

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 07:28 PM
Please put me down for
10 Steel nibs Large with Medium tip
1 x Heritance Gold nib
Thanks Amos:)

No problems Amos. Wish I had a kit I could use the large gold nibs on, but I guess I'll have to be patient a while longer.

For those wanting nibs, I'm assuming you're all happy to pay by bank deposit (as painful a process as that is, it's the cheapest). if not, please PM me so we can discuss options.

Russell.

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 07:39 PM
Quick question for the more experienced - does anyone know if the fine nibs are OK to write with? Normally I prefer a fine pen but part of the FP appeal is the luxurious writing style they have. Would the fine point ruin that?

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 08:18 PM
Quick question for the more experienced - does anyone know if the fine nibs are OK to write with? Normally I prefer a fine pen but part of the FP appeal is the luxurious writing style they have. Would the fine point ruin that?

Cheers,
Dave

My research has indicated that fine is actually the preferred size of most, for normal writing by those in-the-know, with other sizes being for the flair factor. But I have no first hand experience yet to speak of. However I believe the uninitiated would probably find a medium smoother and easier to write with for a start.

You have to be careful also, that like shoes sizes, one companies medium is another companies fine. I believe the Japanese system is one grade up or down (I forget atm) from the rest of the world,

The kit suppliers aren't very helpful in classifying their nibs either, apart from all stating they're the bees-knees, regardless of what users have been saying compared to nibs like Lou's or better. Even then, there are people who say they can't tell the difference.

Hmm - re-reading that, I think I'm fence sitting, which is why I'm going to get some of every size :)

Russell.

Ozkaban
27th October 2009, 08:55 PM
My research has indicated that fine is actually the preferred size of most, for normal writing by those in-the-know, with other sizes being for the flair factor. But I have no first hand experience yet to speak of. However I believe the uninitiated would probably find a medium smoother and easier to write with for a start.

You have to be careful also, that like shoes sizes, one companies medium is another companies fine. I believe the Japanese system is one grade up or down (I forget atm) from the rest of the world,

The kit suppliers aren't very helpful in classifying their nibs either, apart from all stating they're the bees-knees, regardless of what users have been saying compared to nibs like Lou's or better. Even then, there are people who say they can't tell the difference.

Hmm - re-reading that, I think I'm fence sitting, which is why I'm going to get some of every size :)

Russell.

Fence sitting sounds like a great idea! Lock me in for 5 fine and 5 medium in the small size.

Thanks,.
Dave

PenTurner
27th October 2009, 09:51 PM
Russell is correct in his summation, fine seems to be the preferred nib, but a quality medium is also quite acceptable. Amos:)

Sawdust Maker
27th October 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure of sizes
what would fit sedonas and what would fit churchills?

depending on the answer I would like some fine and some medium in the steel nibs

sorry to be a pain in the bvm, but I really do not know the different sizes

BoomerangInfo
27th October 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure of sizes
what would fit sedonas and what would fit churchills?

depending on the answer I would like some fine and some medium in the steel nibs

sorry to be a pain in the bvm, but I really do not know the different sizes

Small Sedona, Large Churchill.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 07:18 AM
Morning all.

An overnight update from Lou.

I can now state that the special group buy prices for the steel nibs are US$4 each, and the Anniversary nibs are US$80 each, which are a great deal compared to the retail prices.

Bad news on the normal gold nibs, they won't be available till new years most likely, so looks like we miss out for now.

Final nib prices delivered to me will be AUS$4.90 each for the steel, and AUS$90 each for the gold.

Delivery to you, you have two options

1. Cheap & nasty as a large letter with little padding - $2.20
2. 500g parcel post satchel, bubble wrapped fror protection - $6

If you want it registered up to $100, add $2.80. More than that, contact me.

If anyone wants anything else from Lou's site, we can add some extras into the package. PM me and we can discuss prices etc.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 07:43 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask about feeds and housings. Sam's the only one who has mentioned them so far. Does anyone else want any to go with their nibs?

The steel's come in 5 packs for about $25, the golds individually at $3.50 each. I'm clarifying the pricing.

Russell.

Rum Pig
28th October 2009, 09:02 AM
I would be interested in a pack for the steel:).
If Churchill's are large nibs then I will get a couple of them as well.
Do they have calligraphy sets if so how many$$$$ I can see 1 on the exotic site for $25 if Lou has something similar I would be keen:2tsup:

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:07 AM
Following up on the feed etc.

Local price will be AUS$25 per pack of 5 for the steel, and AUS$3.90 each for the gold.

Anyone interested in taps to match the holders, they are available for AUS$34 for the small, and AUS$40 for the large. Not sure on the weight of these, so local postage may go into the 3Kg class, adding about $4 local postage extra.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:30 AM
I would be interested in a pack for the steel:).
If Churchill's are large nibs then I will get a couple of them as well.
Do they have calligraphy sets if so how many$$$$ I can see 1 on the exotic site for $25 if Lou has something similar I would be keen:2tsup:

OK a large or small pack?

And what's a "couple" of the large nibs. :rolleyes: Nick's numbering system is similar, but I'm afraid my mind reading skills are a little slow today :p

Lou has the calligraphy sets, but it's $25 a set. Dawn has them for $20 that I can see, so I'd prefer to pick them up in the exoticblanks group buy which I've just posted. Postage should be proportionally the same regardless of who we get them from I think.

Russell.

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Russell,

Could you please make my order:
5 small fine steel nibs
5 small medium steel nibs
1 5pk of housings/feeders for small steel nibs

I think that puts the total cost at about $74, plus local postage of $6, makes $80. Is this right?

If so, PM me with details and I'll make payment.

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:49 AM
Hi Russell,

Could you please make my order:
5 small fine steel nibs
5 small medium steel nibs
1 5pk of housings/feeders for small steel nibs

I think that puts the total cost at about $74, plus local postage of $6, makes $80. Is this right?

If so, PM me with details and I'll make payment.

Cheers,
Dave

Yep, spot on mate.

I'll PM everyone who's expressed interest with my banks details, although some of you may have them already. As usual, forum name in the reference if you can. If you've got one of those dinky banks that have no clue about references, get whatever identifying info you can about the payment and send to me.

Now if only Terry would pop in and tell us what he's up to, I think we have everyone covered off.

Russell.

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Russell,

PM Received, Money sent, PM sent. Now the wait for the goodies :D

Thank you for your efforts in this - it's not an easy thing to do and you're organising 2 at the same time :o. You're either very generous with your time and community minded, or just plain nuts :youcrazy::lbs:

I'll stick with the generous spirit option :;

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2009, 03:37 PM
can I have
3 of each in small, medium and large - fine point
2 of each in small, medium and large - medium point

thanks and I'll go the 500g satchel option
totals $79.50 I think

Thanks for doing this Russell :2tsup:

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:26 PM
can I have
3 of each in small, medium and large - fine point
2 of each in small, medium and large - medium point

thanks and I'll go the 500g satchel option
totals $79.50 I think

Thanks for doing this Russell :2tsup:

Err, not quite. You've mixed up two descriptions.

Nib sizes are small and large, tip sizes are fine and medium. The nib size affects the pen it fits in, the tip size affects how think an ink line is put down when writing.

So you can have

1. small nib, fine tip
2. small nib, medium tip
3. large nib, fine tip
4. large nib, medium tip

So, want to try again?

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you for your efforts in this - it's not an easy thing to do and you're organising 2 at the same time :o. You're either very generous with your time and community minded, or just plain nuts :youcrazy::lbs:

I'll stick with the generous spirit option :;

My wife would go with your other option I think. Remember I'm not completely altruistic though. If you guys benefit, I benefit also, assuming I've done all my calculations correctly that is :)

Glad I can help.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:42 PM
Ok last call for anyone else wanting to get in on the buy. Still no word from Schaf, and awaiting clarification from Nick and Rum Pig on their orders. As soon as that's sorted, I'll be placing the order, tomorrow hopefully.

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2009, 08:50 PM
Err, not quite. You've mixed up two descriptions.

Nib sizes are small and large, tip sizes are fine and medium. The nib size affects the pen it fits in, the tip size affects how think an ink line is put down when writing.

So you can have

1. small nib, fine tip
2. small nib, medium tip
3. large nib, fine tip
4. large nib, medium tip

So, want to try again?

Russell.

OK
So I'm an idjit :B thought there might have been a medium size nib. Just shows shouldn't think. :doh:
We'll try again

I'll take
6 small = 3 x fine, 3 x medium
6 large = 3 x fine, 3 x medium
and the $6 postage option

all up $64.80
oh well at least it is cheaper. :U

Russell
Thanks again, especially for taking the time to do this :2tsup: (and I probably agree with your wife) :D

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:56 PM
I'll take
6 small = 3 x fine, 3 x medium
6 large = 3 x fine, 3 x medium
and the $6 postage option

all up $64.80
oh well at least it is cheaper. :U

I knew you'd say that. I already had those figures down in my spreadsheet :D

Russell.

gawdelpus
28th October 2009, 09:33 PM
All very educational :) I am going for (5 small fine) thanks Russell , so far the german made iridium tips on the kit pens seems acceptable to most of my customers, supposed to be medium , but possibly on the lower side of medium hehe. I have been asked to replace a name brand pen nib with one of the medium kit nibs ,always a chance someone may want a fine nib at some point in time :) cheers ~ John

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:41 PM
All very educational :) I am going for (5 small fine) thanks Russell , so far the german made iridium tips on the kit pens seems acceptable to most of my customers, supposed to be medium , but possibly on the lower side of medium hehe. I have been asked to replace a name brand pen nib with one of the medium kit nibs ,always a chance someone may want a fine nib at some point in time :) cheers ~ John

Whoa, a late comer. Always one...

Guess we'll have to PM to work out the fine print.

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2009, 09:42 PM
I knew you'd say that. I already had those figures down in my spreadsheet :D

Russell.

Damn
I'm getting predictable :doh:
I've just transferred the funds - thanks again

BoomerangInfo
29th October 2009, 02:31 PM
Ok everyone's got their requests in, so I'll be placing the order soon. Of course wouldn't you know it, the Aussie $ has dropped below 90c today :(( Hope it's not the start of a trend which sees it go down again. Any Forex traders out there want to give me a tip??

Russell.

Ozkaban
29th October 2009, 03:41 PM
Don't sweat it. If there's a shortfall (like what happened on the Thompson tools buy), we'll all chip in a few extra dollas. Order Away!

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
30th October 2009, 09:00 AM
Don't sweat it. If there's a shortfall (like what happened on the Thompson tools buy), we'll all chip in a few extra dollas. Order Away!

Cheers,
Dave
Yes if you need more $$$$$$$$$ let us know
:o Better put my money in today:doh:

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 09:05 AM
Well I paid for the order this morning. Exchanged at 0.89 so is all OK. Looks like good old Paypal are forcing customers to use their stored funds before putting it on the credit card these days. next they'll be adding CC surcharges...

Only one lot of funds still to receive :wink: so all good so far.

Will let everyone know when I receive the gear.

Actually I just had an idea. If anyone is not in a hurry for their nibs, and is buying in the exotic blanks buy, I could combine both lots into the one postage and save you even more money.

Let me know if you're willing to combine packages. Just means you'll have to wait a week or two longer.

Russell.

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 09:22 AM
Well I paid for the order this morning. Exchanged at 0.89 so is all OK. Looks like good old Paypal are forcing customers to use their stored funds before putting it on the credit card these days. next they'll be adding CC surcharges...

Only one lot of funds still to receive :wink: so all good so far.

Will let everyone know when I receive the gear.

Actually I just had an idea. If anyone is not in a hurry for their nibs, and is buying in the exotic blanks buy, I could combine both lots into the one postage and save you even more money.

Let me know if you're willing to combine packages. Just means you'll have to wait a week or two longer.

Russell.

Hi Russell,

:2tsup:

I'll be in the exotic blanks buy as well, so please hold my stuff to be posted together. I'm in no rush.

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2009, 08:33 PM
I'll probably take part in the exotic blank buy - so combination posting is ok by me

Rum Pig
2nd November 2009, 10:41 AM
I'll probably take part in the exotic blank buy - so combination posting is ok by me
Combo post ok with me

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 07:41 PM
Got an update from Lou today saying the nibs have been posted. Got a USPS tracking number too, but if it's like other OS post tracking numbers, once it goes international, they lose track of it. At least the chinese ebayers seem to work that way...

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
10th November 2009, 10:05 PM
Update for those wondering.

Still no sign of the nibs as yet. Not home till Friday again now, so we'll see if it's there when I get home.

Russell.

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the update, Russell

cheers
Dave

BoomerangInfo
12th November 2009, 08:05 PM
Well I'm home again. Still no nibs.

Decided the check the USPS tracking web site. Really useful information it provides. Here's what I go when I put the label number in :-

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on November 1, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later. :~

Well it hasn't been 2 weeks yet, so not particularly worried just thought it may have said SOMETHING more useful.

Stay tuned....

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
12th November 2009, 08:38 PM
That's public service speak for "I dunno" :doh:

BoomerangInfo
15th November 2009, 06:26 AM
Oh I got another update. This is what it said.

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Electronic Shipping WOODBRIDGE VA 22191 11/01/09 9:27am
Info Received

Russell.

NewLondon88
15th November 2009, 09:59 AM
The first one means that they printed out a shipping label via the USPS website. That
label has to be used that day, so shipping is being done. .it's been paid for.
The second one means that it was shipped out of the Woodbridge post office.

USPS tracking is pretty much useless. You might not see any update till after it
has been delivered.. and that's in the US. International shipments don't get tracked
at all, because the USPS has no control once it goes overseas.

Big Shed
15th November 2009, 10:24 AM
Ooh, that was done on the 11th of January 2009, and it still hasn't arrived here?:oo:

Slack!:doh:

BoomerangInfo
15th November 2009, 11:22 AM
Ooh, that was done on the 11th of January 2009, and it still hasn't arrived here?:oo:

Slack!:doh:
LOL, good one fred :)

Russell.

Simomatra
15th November 2009, 12:05 PM
My last lot took about 10 days all up, quite happy with that. USPS tracking still has the parcel on the way somwhere.

BoomerangInfo
18th November 2009, 09:16 PM
Hey folks,

A quick update. I've just got home and the nibs arrived some time during the week. I'll have a sort through the parcel tomorrow and for those getting them delivered separate from the Exoticblanks buy, I'll start packaging up.

It's the wife's birthday weekend coming up though, and I'm still to yet finish making her present :C so it'll probably be early next week before I start posting off. I have addresses still from the Micromesh buy, but anyone new who hasn't sent me their mailing address, please do so. Maybe I've already asked for and received the details. If so, ignore this. It's late, I'm tired and I'll have a look when I can think straight in the morning.

Russell.

Ozkaban
19th November 2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the update Russell. I'm still waiting on the Exotic blanks buy, so no rush from me.

It's the wife's birthday weekend coming up though, and I'm still to yet finish making her present :C

Would she appreciate a 5 pack of gold nibs :p ??? Maybe a calligraphy set instead :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
19th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Would she appreciate a 5 pack of gold nibs :p ??? Maybe a calligraphy set instead :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Haha. No, I don't think so. I've just finished. 3 of the little Confetti lampt that Timberbits sells. I must say, turning pens in no way prepares you for turning "traditional" turned objects. Had troubles with the parting tool (big lump of wood flew off the lathe and hit me in the upper lip. Still smarting. Also shortened one fo teh lamps a little trying to do the end grain. Kept catching everywhere. tried to do a bead witha skew too, and had a few "do-overs".

But anyway. Lou said to remind everyone that if anyone has any problems with his gear, just let him know and he'll fix it right up. Customer service sure is a big plus for sticking with the little guys these days. Big companies don't want to know you once they have your cash.

Russell.

Rum Pig
19th November 2009, 02:24 PM
thanks Russell
Your time and effort is much appreciated:2tsup:

Ozkaban
19th November 2009, 02:29 PM
...I must say, turning pens in no way prepares you for turning "traditional" turned objects...

oooo, don't say that too loudly, you'll never shut up abut pen turners :D

How do the confetti lamps look? I've seen the kits, but would love to see a completed one. Maybe a new thread - wouldn't want to hijack your own thread :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
19th November 2009, 03:13 PM

How do the confetti lamps look? I've seen the kits, but would love to see a completed one. Maybe a new thread - wouldn't want to hijack your own thread :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Will take a pic once they've been lit up. Probably post in the turners forum. Problem is, I can't find any lamp oil for them yet :oo:

Russell.

Rum Pig
19th November 2009, 04:47 PM

Cheers,
Dave
Have a look on Timberbits web site he has a photos of some completed ones.
http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/confetti-lamps-p-229.html?osCsid=49e94f9099c7d1c3d209fcb2ce88ad7f

Ozkaban
19th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Have a look on Timberbits web site he has a photos of some completed ones.
Pen Kits & Wood Turning | Timberbits.com (http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/confetti-lamps-p-229.html?osCsid=49e94f9099c7d1c3d209fcb2ce88ad7f)

:doh: So you mean I should actually scroll down a bit

Thanks..
Dave

NewLondon88
19th November 2009, 11:30 PM
The confetti lamps are pretty neat.. can be eye catching too. They can be simple
or ornate.. and easy ro difficult as you want. Lots of fun and a nice break from
pens.

Here's a few I gave away last year. There's a few 'oops' in these, too. :p

Ozkaban
20th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the photos - very nice! I like the goblet shaped ones.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
20th November 2009, 10:00 AM
The confetti lamps are pretty neat.. can be eye catching too. They can be simple
or ornate.. and easy ro difficult as you want. Lots of fun and a nice break from
pens.

Here's a few I gave away last year. There's a few 'oops' in these, too. :p
How did you turn them?
Someone said to drill the hole then use pin jaws to hold on from inside the hole but I had trouble with the blanks trying to move forward. Maybe I'm using the jaws?

Ozkaban
20th November 2009, 10:13 AM
How did you turn them?
Someone said to drill the hole then use pin jaws to hold on from inside the hole but I had trouble with the blanks trying to move forward. Maybe I'm using the jaws?

A jam chuck would work just as well, I think. I was planning on buying a vicmarc chuck with a few jaws to do just this sort of thing due to an unexpected bonus :D, but along with that came an unexpected cloud of steam from the front of the car :~. Will have to make do with jam chucks for a while yet!

I think this thread has been well and truly hijacked by now, but until the parcels start arriving, it's probably ok :;

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
20th November 2009, 11:05 AM
A jam chuck would work just as well, I think. I was planning on buying a vicmarc chuck with a few jaws to do just this sort of thing due to an unexpected bonus :D, but along with that came an unexpected cloud of steam from the front of the car :~. Will have to make do with jam chucks for a while yet!

I think this thread has been well and truly hijacked by now, but until the parcels start arriving, it's probably ok :;

Cheers,
Dave
I bought one of these kits some time ago for the same reason
Gary Pye Woodturning :: Gary Pye Woodturning - Gen 3 GPW100 Deluxe Chuck Set (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445144)
maybe I need to add some non slip pad to help the chuck hold?

Yes I think this thread has a temporary hick in place but it is keeping it alive:U

Ozkaban
20th November 2009, 11:11 AM
Gary Pye Woodturning :: Gary Pye Woodturning - Gen 3 GPW100 Deluxe Chuck Set (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445144)

Yes I think this thread has a temporary hick in place but it is keeping it alive:U

I'd be suprised if the pin jaws wouldn't hold them - surely that's the type of only job pin jaws are good for, right? I guess if you tighten them up too much you'll explode the blank, but there has to be a firm middle ground where the blank wouldn't move :shrug:

EDIT: nice chuck, BTW. that kit looks useful.

Cheers,
Dave

NewLondon88
20th November 2009, 11:18 AM
Sorry about the hijack.. I forget what the threads are about :oo:

I'll answer this last one and then shut up.I used a forstner bit and then a jam chuck.
I faced the bottom first, then used a 60 degree center drill so I could find my place
later on. Drilled out the bowl and then put it on a jam chuck with the foot in the
live center. Then shaped the outside of the bowl and then the stem and foot.

Not hard to do, but I kept forgetting which order to do things in and then I'd end
up stuck. :-

ps .. I got the lamp oil where they sell candles and lamps.
Usually about $1 for a quart.

BoomerangInfo
20th November 2009, 02:05 PM

Yep, that's he chuck I have. Turn the block roughly round first between the dead/live centre, then parted a tenon on one end. Swapped to the chuck, medium size jaws to hold the tenon, then went at it. Used the live centre in the tailstock to help hold while outside shaping, then chucked a 38mm forstner bit (I had to buy the whole set from GPW to get one, before David started selling them individually :doh:) in my shiny new jacob's chuck to drill it out, All that was required then was a little finishing across the top (where I blew out some chunks :~) and a Shellawax coat and polish, parted off the block to the final size and pretended no one will look at the bottom to see the mess I made of it :)

I don't mind the thread going off topic, as it's nearly finished anyway, but sorry for those wanting to know about the nib buy and getting spammed with turning posts :)

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
20th November 2009, 02:09 PM
ps .. I got the lamp oil where they sell candles and lamps.
Usually about $1 for a quart.

Well Charlie, I'm sorry to say that it's another win for the US over Aus in thus department. I've been to about 14 different stores (who all sell candels, essential oils, incense burners etc) looking for lamp oil now, and no luck. When I ask the shop assistants if they know where to get it, they either look at me blankly like I'm asking how to build a nuclear bomb, or simply say "no idea". The best I can find, which we have already anyway, is that Citronella oil for the garden lamps and Kerosene, neither of which are really suitable indoors (or would have that "Honey I Love You" feel to them).

Just got back from my last shopping trip before her birthday, so unfortunately it's going to be an IOU on that one :(.

Russell.

Ozkaban
20th November 2009, 02:28 PM
Well Charlie, I'm sorry to say that it's another win for the US over Aus in thus department. I've been to about 14 different stores (who all sell candels, essential oils, incense burners etc) looking for lamp oil now, and no luck. When I ask the shop assistants if they know where to get it, they either look at me blankly like I'm asking how to build a nuclear bomb, or simply say "no idea". The best I can find, which we have already anyway, is that Citronella oil for the garden lamps and Kerosene, neither of which are really suitable indoors (or would have that "Honey I Love You" feel to them).

Just got back from my last shopping trip before her birthday, so unfortunately it's going to be an IOU on that one :(.

Russell.

Found this one (http://www.oillamps.com.au/Lamp%20oil.htm), but no prices. Located in Briadwood, near Canberra. Another on is here (http://www.glasscandles.com.au/welcome/page14.php). Looks like about $10 per ~600ml, plus postage.

Cheers,
Dave

EDIT: The 591ml I think is 20 fluid ounces. There is a 1 quart container (~946ml) for $15. Not quite the value that our friends in the US get!

BoomerangInfo
20th November 2009, 02:34 PM
Found this one (http://www.oillamps.com.au/Lamp%20oil.htm), but no prices. Located in Briadwood, near Canberra. Another on is here (http://www.glasscandles.com.au/welcome/page14.php). Looks like about $10 per ~600ml, plus postage.

Cheers,
Dave

EDIT: The 591ml I think is 20 fluid ounces. There is a 1 quart container (~946ml) for $15. Not quite the value that our friends in the US get!

Great, thanks.

Now, how do I get it to South West Queensland by Sunday?? :roll:

Russell.

Ozkaban
20th November 2009, 02:41 PM
Great, thanks.

Now, how do I get it to South West Queensland by Sunday?? :roll:

Russell.

South east, we could maybe manage. South west is a bit of a long shot!

You could always fill the lamp with water and tell SWMBO she must be doing something wrong :whistling2:

Either that, or fill it with lighter fluid :burnt:

NewLondon88
20th November 2009, 03:14 PM
Wouldn't alcohol work? You might have to replace the witth with a cotton one, but
it would light in the meantime..

BoomerangInfo
20th November 2009, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't alcohol work? You might have to replace the witth with a cotton one, but
it would light in the meantime..

I don't think she'd like me burning her liqueur stash :wink: Not sure what the wick is made of. Seems like some artificial polyester fibre or something. I guess Methylated Spirits might work for now. Used to burn great when I did my mad scientist experiments under my parents house :p

Russell.

Big Shed
20th November 2009, 03:29 PM
Russell, our local supermarket stocks lamp oil, as does the camping/outdoor store.

Another one that stocks it is the renovators barn, but they also sell oil lamps so no surprise there.

Might be worth a try?

BoomerangInfo
20th November 2009, 03:39 PM
Russell, our local supermarket stocks lamp oil, as does the camping/outdoor store.

:~ Is that indoor oil? If it gives off bad fumes, it's no use. I've tried Woollies, Big W, Target, homewares stores, kitchenware stores, a specialist heating store (:!), gift stores, $2 stores, all with no luck.

Maybe it's a banned substance in Queensland?

Russell.

Big Shed
20th November 2009, 03:45 PM
:~ Is that indoor oil? If it gives off bad fumes, it's no use. I've tried Woollies, Big W, Target, homewares stores, kitchenware stores, a specialist heating store (:!), gift stores, $2 stores, all with no luck.
The one SWMBO uses is from the local supermarket (Coles I think) marked lamp oil, doesn't give bad fumes, but isn't marked either indoor or outdoor, I thought only the citronella oil was specifically meant for outdoor use?

Maybe it's a banned substance in Queensland?
Didn't know you were looking for THAT kind of oil:doh::D

NewLondon88
20th November 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure how the stores are laid out down there, but around here they often
put those lamps and the oils near the living room accessories like vases, candles,
small picture frames, knick knacks and such. The oil is usually odorless and smokeless
and not very expensive. I was wrong on the $1 though. It was 12 ounces and $1.88 but
that was at a Dollar Store. (cheap imports)

I'd send you a bunch, but I know shipping it would be a problem.