PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this at home, kiddies...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2009, 02:13 AM
Let's just imagine you've finished turning a bowl and are about to use an inertia sander.

Your battery drill is flat and, being impatient, you're using a 'lectric drill. Naturally you don't want to use any of your big, expensive, heavy drills. No, of course not. You'd pick up the cheap 'n nasty and - more importantly - light one, right?

Let's further imagine that it's keyless chuck is also cheap 'n nasty (of course) and for some inexplicable reason the part you grab to stop the chuck turning while you tighten/loosen it is freewheeling. So, you have to place the sander in position, hold the chuck tightly and lightly blip the trigger to tighten it up. (Or put the drill in reverse to loosen it.)

Here's the important part, kiddies: don't sneeze just as you're about to pull the trigger!

Otherwise you'll end up with a rather nasty friction burn in the palm of your hand.

Just trust me on this, OK? :C:B

jefferson
28th October 2009, 04:41 AM
Good to know that you're human like the rest of us, Andy. :D:D:D

rsser
28th October 2009, 06:13 AM
Sorry Andy, I had to laugh.

Now that's real self-abuse.

Heal quick.

artme
28th October 2009, 07:23 AM
Well, Iwas once told not to my finger in the mongoose cage at the zoo. Guess what happened when I did?:D:D:D

Now, be truthful, how many people do any of you know who have been bitten by a mongoose???

The Bleeder
28th October 2009, 07:52 AM
Well, Iwas once told not to my finger in the mongoose cage at the zoo. Guess what happened when I did?:D:D:D

Now, be truthful, how many people do any of you know who have been bitten by a mongoose???

And was that only yesterday.

Hope all is ok Skew.

Yeah sneezing can be bad....put me in hospital as i popped two discs in the lower back.

rsser
28th October 2009, 08:17 AM
When he was young one of my sons was down the food market with me and picked up a birds-eye chilli. Very bright and interesting item. He ignored my advice not to bite into it.

He hasn't needed telling twice.

wheelinround
28th October 2009, 08:35 AM
And was that only yesterday.

Hope all is ok Skew.

Yeah sneezing can be bad....put me in hospital as i popped two discs in the lower back.

I also pop discs when sneezing between the shoulder blades usually.

Skew note taken :B

When working building coaches I was drilling Stainless steel and sneezed just as I pulled the trigger:~ drill had run off and scored the finished product had to re-make and refit boss not a happy man but he had been right beside me when it happened and had done the same thing just weeks before.:U

Artme same thing except a Ferret in a cage

hughie
28th October 2009, 09:04 AM
Ah! I feel much better now, thought I was the only one did little tricks like that. :U

brendan stemp
28th October 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure I could think up a better excuse for how I got friction burns on the palm of my hand but, personally, it's the type of thing I would just keep to myself.

tea lady
28th October 2009, 09:10 AM
:rofl:

:D When I was little my Mum was aying to my Dad "I'm worried about those tins the kids are playing with. they could cut their fingers in the edge. " "Could I? " me thinks, and proceed to run my finger round the edge. Nothing was happening at first then I ran it round a corner. Yep that got it. :doh: Two lessons in this. Don't talk about stuff like that in front of the kids, and don't run your finger along the edge of tins.:rolleyes:

rat52
28th October 2009, 09:13 AM
I suffer from hay fever and also ride a motor bike.

An attack while wearing a full face helmet is no joke.

Luckily there was no accident but by the time I pulled over my vision was severely impaired.http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

wheelinround
28th October 2009, 09:15 AM
I suffer from hay fever and also ride a motor bike.

An attack while wearing a full face helmet is no joke.

Luckily there was no accident but by the time I pulled over my vision was severely impaired.http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

Snot funny I know the great hurl inside helmet isn't either from food poisoning:~

Rum Pig
28th October 2009, 09:20 AM
Damm I have to sneeze more to cover my silly mistakes:doh:

I thought this forum had rulez:rulez2::pics::q

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 10:18 AM
Yup, things are often caused by a series of mishaps :rolleyes:

Hope your hand is OK Skew.

Must remember to sneeze before tightening the drill, as I do it exactly the same way :-

Cheers,
Dave

jefferson
28th October 2009, 11:14 AM

Do ferret bites count??? Never seen a mongoose, though I'd love 20 odd for the snakes up here..... :D:D

Waldo
28th October 2009, 11:25 AM
Otherwise you'll end up with a rather nasty friction burn in the palm of your hand.

Just trust me on this, OK? :C:B

:worthless: Ya poor bloke :console:

Ed Reiss
28th October 2009, 11:48 AM
...so Skew, you got caught "red handed" :q:D:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2009, 08:49 PM
:p One thing about you lot... you know how to make a bloke feel better. :U

The hand's OK, blistered but they're unpopped. It makes simple things a bit more challenging, but not as much as having a mongoose hanging off a digit would! :oo:

Ed Reiss
29th October 2009, 04:41 AM
yea, but at least the mongoose could be supper for some :U

Glad it wasn't too serious :2tsup:

rsser
11th November 2009, 03:22 PM
Well I'll be another hiding a hand at confession on Sunday.

Usually just hold the keyless chuck on the cordless drill when tightening and loosening bits.

Today I was swapping between that and a 240v 1/2" chuck drill. Did the same without thinking.

Woops! It had more grunt of course and span in the hand.

Oh well, at least it got rid of the hair ;-}

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Well I'll be another hiding a hand at confession on Sunday.

Usually just hold the keyless chuck on the cordless drill when tightening and loosening bits.

Today I was swapping between that and a 240v 1/2" chuck drill. Did the same without thinking.

Woops! It had more grunt of course and span in the hand.

Oh well, at least it got rid of the hair ;-}

:oo:

they do that :rolleyes:

Still, it's a trap I've fallen into a few times, though it has never bitten that hard...

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
11th November 2009, 07:43 PM
Using my big Bosch hammer drill to remove & replace some straight head screws it slipped out the grove as they do straight into my cloth apron heading for my groin :o

Yep me hanging onto handle finger on trigger it grabbed the apron pulling down and apron tighter and tighter my finger still on the trigger trying to pull upwards :oo: its getting tighter finally moved finger off trigger flicked power switch on board off just in case. Unwound now tight apron from around chuck and me. Have nasty bruise to left pectral where handle of drill whacked trying to spin. :doh: Never in all my years working did that happen had a mate loose hair while using bench drill took 1/2 his scalp.

Sawdust Maker
11th November 2009, 08:54 PM
Who needs piccies :rolleyes:
I can imagine what it looks like :2tsup:
been there :doh:

GoGuppy
11th November 2009, 09:03 PM

Not a mongoose, but does having been bitten by a black leopard count for anything?:oo::oo::oo:

Well not a fully grown leopard, ......actually it was a baby leopard..:doh::D at the Jakarta baby zoo, where the public is/was allowed to hold the little critters.

BXgga though, I needed a series of rabies shots after that, just in case...no fun I can tell you :(:(.

wheelinround
11th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Not a mongoose, but does having been bitten by a black leopard count for anything?:oo::oo::oo:

Well not a fully grown leopard, ......actually it was a baby leopard..:doh::D at the Jakarta baby zoo, where the public is/was allowed to hold the little critters.

BXgga though, I needed a series of rabies shots after that, just in case...no fun I can tell you :(:(.

If by Mongoose you mean the Bile maker BMX bikes in particular I knew of many

artme
12th November 2009, 04:38 AM

Doesn't count. The Mongoose was fully growN.:D:D:p:p