PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaackkkk!

Allen Neighbors
28th October 2009, 01:11 PM
Well, it's good to be back in the land of the living. (though I still wish I was in the land of 'down under')
I've been out of state, tied up in the world of flatwork (ugh!!), and down with internet problems.
Hope all you blokes didn't cry, missing me so... :D
I'm going to try to catch up now, on my reading, and see if I can learn some more, and maybe contribute a mite.:)

Gil Jones
28th October 2009, 01:16 PM
Hey, Al, glad to see you back and well. :)

hughie
28th October 2009, 01:33 PM
The prodigal returns.....:U

joe greiner
28th October 2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome back, Al. I wondered how many of "you" there are, and OGYT's last visit was 22 Oct. "couldn't get back on": forgot your password that fast?

We've been missing you terribly, terribly - almost enough to cry, but not quite.:-

Cheers,
Joe

Allen Neighbors
29th October 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Gil, Hughie... After our trip in August, we've been on four others, and in between all those trips, I've been trying to build a sewing room into a Toy Hauler travel trailer, without any flatwork tools. (the vortex made me sell them). I'd get about 10 minutes on the computer for email, and then Bam! naptime would take over. :D
Yeah, Yeah, I know, Joe. :U
My DSL modem gave up the ghost. Took me a long time to find out the problem was in my house, and not in the phone lines outside. And, yes, I did forget my password. Don't use those things very often, so I never remember them. It's been so long since I had to use it, that I didn't even know where I had it written down.
But it sure is good to be back in circulation again, and have some computer time.

govarney
29th October 2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Allen,

Yes passwords are a pain. I work for a large multi-national computer company and have well over 100 passwords on various systems that I logon to, and I have to change them monthly. (takes about 2 hours).

My recommendation is to have 3 passwords.

1) A "I don't care password" that you use when a silly website wants a password and you don't really care if any one knows it. The password should be easy to remember and use it for all silly websites or sits that you don't care if people know it.

In my case I use my daughters name and the year she was born followed by a dot. eg Robin82.

Note I have both upper and lower case, numbers and the dot. This is because some websites have special password rules and this covers all rules so far :-)

2) A "This is important to me password". As the name implies this password is for protecting stuff that is important to you. Because it is important I change mine monthly ( and its a job requirement) but you could for example change it quarterly.

For this password I use a formula: Consisting of
My initials in uppercase
Year I was born
a Dot
First 3 characters of the month
an incrementing number
So if this month was the 25 month since I started using the formula then my password would be

GOV58.Oct25

next month it would be GOV58.Nov26, then GOV58.Dec27 etc etc

Not only is it easy to remember I can work out what my previous passwords were

eg My password for January 2008 was GOV58.Jan4

3) A "money" password. I use this for all passwords relating to money. eg bank accounts, credit cards, ordering woodturning kits from website :-)

Here its important to have individual passwords - one for each finanical institution. So if or some reason someone finds out one of your password, they can't go a raid your other accounts.

Again use a formula to create your password, for example

Initials of finanical institution
My initials
A tree I like
the year I was born
and a dot
So my Bank of America password would be

BOAGOVOak58.

Of course some websites force you to only have alphabetic characters and numbers. In these cases I just leave off the dot.

Some still only want numbers. In this case I use the phone number of my childhood household. (Don't use this if you haven't left home yet :-) )

Hope this helps

thefixer
29th October 2009, 09:17 PM
Welcome back Al. How's things going at Sawmill Creek?

Allen Neighbors
3rd November 2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Shorty. Still hangin' in there.
Met some of them at SWAT Symposium. Good sort.

artme
6th November 2009, 08:07 PM
Welcome back Allen.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
6th November 2009, 08:19 PM
Welcome back Al, we all missed you.
Now get back to your workshop, and show us something nice :)
Ad