View Full Version : Vicmarc VL600

hughie
31st October 2009, 12:22 AM
This one might give the Stubby a run for its money

rsser
31st October 2009, 07:33 AM
Wow, that's one whopper of a machine.

Wonder how the beds are swivelled.

Is that a crank handle to move the tailstock?

Ed Reiss
31st October 2009, 11:44 AM
impressive !!!!

bobsreturn2003
31st October 2009, 01:04 PM
wonder if i can sneak one past the wife ,might need to borrow her super to buy it though, :2tsup:

hughie
31st October 2009, 01:20 PM
\
wonder if i can sneak one past the wife ,might need to borrow her super to buy it though, :2tsup:[
At around $7000 for the VL300 one wonders what this one will go for probably $10-12,000

Wonder how the beds are swiveled.
Is that a crank handle to move the tailstock

Not sure if the cranks moves it up and down the bed or around and around. :? But I see it has some sort of control box under the tail stock end with the stop/start controls at the tail stock. Also might be a mechanical variable speed by the look of the big lever on the headstock. Or perhaps a mechanical two speed gear box with electronic variable speed drive, I say that because if you look at the first pic it shows to black circles. These generally indicate bearings and with two shafts that close together it is most likely a two speed with some sort of dog clutch arrangement.

Apparently it can swing 1200mm, dunno the centre to centre length, you never know when you might need a decent sized salad bowl... :D

Interestingly tho' Ern I have a design on the drawing board not too much different if I read the design correctly. Designed along the same train of thought pens to bowls, mechanical two speed with VSD, might be wasting my time, huh? :U

I also note that Vicmarc received around 450k grant for research into this design. Should put my hand up for like same for tool development/lathe design as well. :U

Not much about it on the Oz site, I picked this info from a USA site. So I suspect its been built with a strong eye to the US market.

rsser
31st October 2009, 01:49 PM
The vented box looks very much like the electronics for an EVS, and so far all their current EVS units have a dual ratio mechanical drive.

I spoke with Victor a while ago and he was making heavy hints about something new in the pipeline ... this looks like it.

Hughie, how about developing something like this for $450k ...

Problem: rounding large faceplate blanks
- dangerous or tedious
- time consuming
- hard on the hands

Possible solution:
Mount an Arbortech on a track parallel to the bed
Has adjustable reach to bed
Has an auto feed along the track, and preferably
Has auto step forward after each pass

What do you think?

WOODbTURNER
31st October 2009, 02:52 PM
Saw the huge tailstock by mistake at Vicmarc's during a factory tour last March. When queried it, we were told that they would have to shoot us if they told us. The only thing they said was that it was for a 600 lathe. It was huge compared to the standard VL300 one. Now we know what it was for!
By the way, it was a great tour and we really appreciated Vicmarc for their hospitality.http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Manuka Jock
31st October 2009, 03:44 PM
Time to start buying lottery tickets in earnest now , eh lads :U

It seems that everything swivels on the bugga .
Tho they don't show it in the photos , the outboard turning is 2500 mm
This according to the Sawmill Creek forum ;
" The Vicmarc VL600 will be the most versatile and innovative woodturning lathe in the world, capable of turning the smallest of
pen barrels to workpieces 2.3m in diameter and 1.3m long. It will not just turn round shapes but also triangular, oval, square,
pentagonal and hexagonal shapes. The VL600 will be manufactured in Australia and sold primarily in Europe and USA (with
annual export sales growing from $700,000 to $2.7 million within five years)."

rsser
31st October 2009, 04:16 PM
'It'll turn square shapes.'

Damn, they've nicked my Arbortech idea!

Groggy
31st October 2009, 04:36 PM
*thud*
Now THAT is a lathe! Can't wait to see one in action.

skot
31st October 2009, 06:37 PM
JEEZ, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD

Does it come with an outboard attachment ...just in case you need to turn that 1.3m diameter platter!!!!!!

Might have to take a trip up to their factory to see this....and prove it hasn't been photoshopped

Ad de Crom
31st October 2009, 07:06 PM
The best lathe I've ever seen.
You can turn everything you like on this lathe.
Only it cost a lot of monye.
Ad

efgee88
31st October 2009, 09:10 PM
That's a Vicmarc on steroids!

Need to collect some serious lumber for that one.

FrankG.

Jim Carroll
31st October 2009, 09:50 PM
Looks like that one is in Italy

thefixer
31st October 2009, 10:08 PM
That's a Vicmarc on steroids!

Need to collect some serious lumber for that one.

FrankG.

And some serious $$$$$$$$

thefixer
31st October 2009, 10:12 PM

I assume you ascertained that from the orange writing underneath the Vicmarc logo?

Yeah, I zoomed in on it too. The curiosity was killing me.

Groggy
31st October 2009, 11:11 PM
Calm? Where's Calm? I can't wait to hear his comments :D:D:D

govarney
31st October 2009, 11:34 PM
Looks like the handle on the banjo can be placed at either end. Is that standard ?

Manuka Jock
31st October 2009, 11:37 PM
It looks that way huh. Good idea too

hughie
1st November 2009, 12:01 AM
It'll turn square shapes.'
Damn, they've nicked my Arbortech idea!

Maybe not, one thing for sure it wont be cheap, so lesser priced version would be very attractive too many.

Be interested to see how it turns all those shapes, not sure they would be that handy tho' triangular salad bowl? :U

Manuka Jock
1st November 2009, 06:27 AM
Be interested to see how it turns all those shapes, not sure they would be that handy tho' triangular salad bowl? :U
Be able to turn Pirate hats now mate eh :2tsup:

brendan stemp
1st November 2009, 10:38 AM
Hughie, How'd you get hold of these pics.

Looks Like I will have to sell my VL300 to finance buying one. Actually I might have to sell all three of my lathes to buy one vl600!!

r1968
1st November 2009, 10:39 AM
Looking at the 2 pictures together looks like the head stock swivels in 2 parts. Can't make out for sure. But looks like they did think of everything. With this US $ in the tank, the US price might be out of line with reality.
--raj

rsser
1st November 2009, 11:42 AM

How'd you figure that out Jim?

Bet the first ones come with US spindle sizes :((

Bet Calm is spewing.

Manuka Jock
1st November 2009, 11:55 AM
Looking at the 2 pictures together looks like the head stock swivels in 2 parts. Can't make out for sure.
I reckon so too .
It would have to , to be able have the outboard turning capacity of 2500 mm .

Two and a half meters , Eight feet :oo::2tsup:

Groggy
1st November 2009, 12:16 PM
Bet Calm is spewing.He is conspicuous by his silence :whistling:

John Saxton
1st November 2009, 01:15 PM
How'd you figure that out Jim?

Bet the first ones come with US spindle sizes :((

Bet Calm is spewing.

How calm is Calm:D:D:D

Cheers:)

NeilS
1st November 2009, 01:38 PM
It seems every thing thing swivels on the bugga .
Tho they don't show it in the photos , the outboard turning is 2500 mm

If Jock is right and the headstock swivels, along with everything else, it's not only going to give the Stubby a run for its money, but also the VB36.... if the price is right.

Looks to me as if it is aiming at the industrial/pattern making market as much as the craft market. Just how many 2.5m platters are any of us going to turn? Whereas pattern makers do 'turn' wheels and cogs of that size from time to time, and would pay for a lathe like this after just a few of those jobs.

However, there is always someone, somewhere, that will pay more for something, just because they can. Maybe an ophthalmologist thinking of taking up woodturning as a hobby....:rolleyes:

Not that I wouldn't mind having one myself, even if I couldn't make full use of it....:U

wheelinround
1st November 2009, 01:53 PM
Take a close look at 1st photo at the lower base and you'll see the headstock does swivel :2tsup:

hughie
1st November 2009, 04:34 PM
How'd you figure that out Jim

Originally posted by Claude Arragon aka La Truciolara la truciolara - corsi di tornio e traforo su legno (http://www.la-truciolara.com/) :U although he has not posted alot of late here.

rsser
1st November 2009, 04:38 PM
Ah.

Now wandering through a local turning supplies online shop, I found a Vicmarc banjo option for '600/1000' .... so mebbe there's another surprise on the way.

Manuka Jock
1st November 2009, 08:19 PM
I wonder if this monster will have bed extensions

thefixer
1st November 2009, 10:30 PM
I wonder if this monster will have bed extensions

The same thought had entered my twisted little mind too:rolleyes:

thefixer
1st November 2009, 10:36 PM
It appears to be creating some interest in the USA too
"http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=123526" Special Lathe for pen turning

r1968
2nd November 2009, 04:25 AM
If the motor is in the base how will the headstock swivel? It might be mounted in the headstock itself.
--raj

Manuka Jock
2nd November 2009, 08:23 AM
The headstock looks to be put together along the lines of the Nova DVR one .
Maybe it has the same technology

Jim Carroll
2nd November 2009, 08:44 AM
The motor could well be in the base as the centre part is only a transition part for the swinga way bed.

Any gueses on how heavy this sucka is and how much it will be.

My guess 600kg+ $12,000.00

It now compares with the VB36.

Now brendan do you really want that VB36?

brendan stemp
2nd November 2009, 11:50 AM
Now brendan do you really want that VB36?[/QUOTE]

I'll reserve judgment:) I might have to get one of each so that any conclusions I make will be fair and objective:D:D

Tim the Timber Turner
2nd November 2009, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Carroll;1057772]Any gueses on how heavy this sucka is and how much it will be.

650kg

$23 per kilo (same price as a decent cheese).

You work it out:D

Cheers

Tim

rsser
2nd November 2009, 06:26 PM
Cool.

Jim, can I buy 250g of that VL600?

And the same again next week and .... and

Jim Carroll
2nd November 2009, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Carroll;1057772]
650kg

$23 per kilo (same price as a decent cheese).

You work it out:D

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim glad you were able to put it into perspective.
Thought you had better odds on red wine though.

Ern better watch out for the cholesterol with all that cheese.

skot
2nd November 2009, 07:29 PM
I am very happy with my VL 175 and don't have the 'reddies' to purchase such a great looking lathe but I think $12000 - $13000 for such a machine is fantastic value.

Might be an odd comparison:

If someone told you to buy a New car for $13000 and it would last you your entire lifetime (as I think this lathe would), and it could handle anything thrown at it, running costs would be minimal and the other car owners would drool over it......I would buy that new car in a flash.....why not this lathe.

Calm
2nd November 2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry been away working since Friday AM early (work is so overrated - i'm over it:-:~)

So in my absence Vicmark have decided to reveal a new boat anchor:o:o:D:D

It looks to me as if at the headstock end the bed swivels in the middle - i think the whole housing moves and the upper part stays in the one -straight ahead - location.
(i copied the photo to a word document and then blew it up to get a closer look - not really clear though)

I like the idea of the pivot for the tail end bed "cranking" along the "primary bed:2tsup:

From the opinions here at that price it makes a S1000 very cheap. :q:q also gives a couple of ideas about possible improvements for the 750 or 1000 (impressed with the primary/secondary bed setup.

Still dont think it will do what the 750 will do any better:no::no: BTW anyone able to supply crack free blanks of this size?

Cheers

brendan stemp
3rd November 2009, 08:29 AM
From what I have managed to find out this is the only VL600 in existence and it is still in the development stage. It will be some time before they go on the market so don't hold your breath in anticipation.

hughie
3rd November 2009, 10:58 AM
Still dont think it will do what the 750 will do any better:no::no: BTW anyone able to supply crack free blanks of this size?

Perhaps a few things.

Longish spindles or legs I believe 1200mm long
The obvious large [humongous] salad bowls
Looks like is has speed control etc to right which is handy most of the turning population
Double swing beds that will allow both side of the bowl to be turned with out much interruption to the process.
Banjo handle looks to be able of changing ends
It will weigh a ton.
The open design will allow perhaps more effective deploying of dust control ducts
Versatility pens,bowls to four poster bed posts.

But its largely what the individual fancies or wants.Whilst its a great bit of gear its capacity I would never use too the full.

What I would like to see with a lathe of this range:

[a] Is a remote stop/start and speed control.By the look of the cord length it may have that already,other wise the cord could be tidied up some or come a different route to its present location.

[b] Cam lock for the tool rest

[c] Auto knock out bar on the tailstock or similar easy method

[d] Perhaps foot control option