PDA

View Full Version : Latest oval turning

Ad de Crom
5th November 2009, 01:41 AM
Turned this time something larger than I was used to, to explore how far I can go.
So this time an oak segmented fruitdish, axis dimensions 285mm x 250mm, with a height of 40mm. Also heigher objects are possible, instead of only low profiled objects, but this is for the next time.
Thanks for looking,
Ad

jefferson
5th November 2009, 08:26 AM
Ad, very nice. :2tsup:

After seeing Jim's segmented platters at Prossie (Powderpost) and now this one.... I'm getting interested. :rolleyes:

So, Ad, did you do anything differently with the laminating because it was to be turned oval?

hughie
5th November 2009, 10:30 AM
So this time an oak segmented fruit dish, axis dimensions 285mm x 250mm, with a height of 40mm. Also higher objects are possible, instead of only low profiled objects, but this is for the next time.

Nice one Ad. Like to see you do a bowl or even a hollow vessel. :2tsup:

Texian
5th November 2009, 12:23 PM
Looks good Ad. Still thinking about building your OT device but haven't started yet. Just a matter of time though, as my wife really wants some oval dishes.

wheelinround
5th November 2009, 03:49 PM
Ad you had me worried there thought you had posted it before :rolleyes: so I went and double checked nope the other one was the lidded segmented box. :doh:

Like this one also :2tsup::2tsup: I've stopped showing LOML your segemented work I keep being asked when I'll be doing one :roll:

Wednesday I should have taken the Video with me they were using the OT device at Ornamental turners group.

Ozkaban
5th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Nice work Ad. The segmenting looks good with the oval.

Ahh, but can you do an oval finial :;

Cheers,
Dave

Ad de Crom
5th November 2009, 07:39 PM
Ad, very nice. :2tsup:

After seeing Jim's segmented platters at Prossie (Powderpost) and now this one.... I'm getting interested. :rolleyes:

So, Ad, did you do anything differently with the laminating because it was to be turned oval?
Jeff, the starting point was a circular form.
Ad

Ad de Crom
5th November 2009, 07:43 PM
Looks good Ad. Still thinking about building your OT device but haven't started yet. Just a matter of time though, as my wife really wants some oval dishes.
Richard, hope she's don't pushing to hard.

Ad de Crom
5th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Ad you had me worried there thought you had posted it before :rolleyes: so I went and double checked nope the other one was the lidded segmented box. :doh:

Like this one also :2tsup::2tsup: I've stopped showing LOML your segemented work I keep being asked when I'll be doing one :roll:

Wednesday I should have taken the Video with me they were using the OT device at Ornamental turners group.
Ray, I'm very interested to see this video, can I see it on youtube??

powderpost
5th November 2009, 10:19 PM
Good effort Ad. If you keep this up I could get excited and get into the oval turning again.. :)
Jim

artme
6th November 2009, 04:49 AM
Nice one Ad. Glad to see you still pushing the boundries.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

An uncle of mine has an oval turned vase. Don.t know where he got it, but it shows that the only limits are those you place on yourself.

joe greiner
7th November 2009, 12:24 AM
Extremely well done. Especially the interface between the first and second groups of segments. It seems that a conical interface would be more benign for fitting than cylindrical (I think).

Cheers,
Joe