PDA

View Full Version : Oz Woods

Ed Reiss
7th November 2009, 12:46 PM
Today I received a very generous "wood swap" parcel loaded down with goodies to turn...so I want to give a big Thank You to Jefferson for his kindness and generosity...I feel blessed to have a fair amount of friends here in the states, and now another mate half way across the world.:2tsup:

hughie
7th November 2009, 01:15 PM
Ed, you've got some real nice blanks there, look forward to seeing what you do with them.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
7th November 2009, 01:32 PM
hmmmm, gonna' have to think on it, don't want to bugger any of them up:o:~

rsser
7th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Onya Jeff.

Ed, that Gidgee will give you a run for your money. Fine grained and dense. Just don't heat it up when sanding.

hughie
7th November 2009, 02:06 PM
Gidgee is a great timber for turning, takes a polish like you would not believe

jefferson
7th November 2009, 02:07 PM
Onya Jeff.

Ed, that Gidgee will give you a run for your money. Fine grained and dense. Just don't heat it up when sanding.

Ern, I reckon the Dead Finish will test him more..... You've got to have the CA ready for when the centre decides it's time to crack. :D (Red Lancewood, I think, quite red in the middle).

And Ed did send me a lovely box and some Cherry. I'll post a pic of it when SWMBO gets the camera out..... Problem is, I can't turn a box that I'm happy to put my name on.

But I'll put the pic up and Ed, you can explain how you did it. (I'll keep sending you wood if you send me boxes. :D)

Texian
7th November 2009, 04:15 PM
That makes two pieces of Dead Finish and Gidgee in the U.S. Recall that Vern very generously traded me several lovely Aussie timbers for some Texas mesquite. Cost a small fortune to send them here too. Good for you Ed. And thanks again Vern.

Ad de Crom
7th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Ed, really nice blanks you got from Jeff, he's a hell of a guy.
What are you going to do with this, in my thoughts nice stuff for lidded boxes.
We'll see with what you come up with.
Ad

jefferson
7th November 2009, 08:24 PM
Ed, really nice blanks you got from Jeff, he's a hell of a guy.

Ad, you've got me wrong. (Is that the Queen's English?).

I'm not a nice person. But I do try to repay - not just to one person - but all the wood turners out there that have helped me along my "journey".

I don't give a ##### about the money. My mental health is much more important. No smilies that are appropriate.....

And Ad & Ed, the house will be renovated soon......A/C in almost all the rooms....

When you get here. The wife (Annie) does a nice salad and a great Black Forest cake.............

I hope to see you soon. Someone will put you up, you've got to pay the airfare though. After that, you are in our hands....

Your hard woods are out soft woods...... :D:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
7th November 2009, 09:19 PM
is A/C alternating current :p
Country Victoria is just catching up with the 19th century :o

BTW nice selection of timber you sent over - like the quilting on the PNG rosewood

artme
7th November 2009, 11:32 PM
Good on you Jefferson!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your good fortune Ed. The Gidgee and Dead Finish are great to turn but, as others have said, beware the heat build up.

Ed Reiss
7th November 2009, 11:36 PM
thanks for the tips about the woods guys...Jeff also had me check out TT's site with all the wood descriptions, very informative :2tsup:

Tex...let's get our pieces of dead finish and gidgee together, maybe they'll mate and make tons of new trees here in the states :no::no::no::no::D

jefferson
8th November 2009, 07:45 AM
is A/C alternating current :p
Country Victoria is just catching up with the 19th century :o

BTW nice selection of timber you sent over - like the quilting on the PNG rosewood

You're a typical Sydney-sider, Nick..... :D:D

A/C = air conditioning.

And the rosewood is nice. Not if you have a catch though, the gouge cuts in so deep as it's soft. (My brother had the catch, not me.)

hughie
8th November 2009, 10:22 AM
Tex...let's get our pieces of dead finish and gidgee together, maybe they'll mate and make tons of new trees here in the states :no::no::no::no::D
[/QUOTE]

I reckon they would grow there, no worries :2tsup: just gotta get passed the agriculture dept. :U