PDA

View Full Version : Support posts for rocking horse.

docusk
11th November 2009, 10:22 AM
Hello my Aussie chums, been missing for a time but back in the fold and twice as fit.
:)
I have a friend who is making a wooden rocking horse for his grandson. He's a highly qualified engineer with acces to big lathes, surface grinders, mills and so forth but can't turn wood to save his life! Of course the metal work is easy peasy for him.
As you might expect.
He's asked me to make two columns, with ornamental turning, nothing elaborate just some curved bits to pretty it up. It needs to be about 3" square to start with but anyone suggest what would be more suitable woods to use.
Ho[pe all is welll down under.
docusk :2tsup:

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 10:56 AM
I'd recommend pine.

It turns well, looks fine (especially if stained), finishes ok and 3" square sections are easy to come by and are economical. And it's sturdy enough.

Here is a pic of a horse I made, though I did not do the turning of the posts.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry - I should have said at the top of the last post that whatever timber the rest of the horse is made out of would look great. i don't think it will be particularly important.

Also didn't notice you were in england, whose wood species are beyond my experience.

Cheers,
Dave

Wongo
11th November 2009, 11:09 AM
I have 2, one is Jarrah and the other one is Tallowwood. I would recommend Jarrah. It is easy to work with, beautiful and very stable.

Wongo
11th November 2009, 11:14 AM
Also didn't notice you were in england, whose wood species are beyond my experience.

Oh same here.

Try Ash. Anthony Dew from the rocking horse shop uses ash for most of his rokcing horses.

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 11:20 AM
Try Ash. Anthony Dew from the rocking horse shop uses ash for most of his rokcing horses.

:whs:

Texian
11th November 2009, 12:09 PM
Great looking horsie Dave.

Ozkaban
11th November 2009, 12:15 PM
Great looking horsie Dave.

Thanks! It's not in the league of Wongo's (he'll concur, I think :D). Was made at a 3 day carving course - all joinery was done beforehand.

I'm very happy with the horse, and enjoyed the course. My daughters both love it, and there is always some kid on it when people come over, and that's really the whole point of it.

If I was going to do another it would probably be for a grandchild (my daughter is only 5, so I have a little time up my sleeve :rolleyes:). It would also be hand carved all the way with Anthony Dew bits on it. but that's probably for another time and another thread :D:D

Cheers,
Dave

PS. Sorry for the slight hijack, docusk:U