PDA

View Full Version : DNS Drive Dog

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I've been reading through the Vicmarc catalogue (tool , if ever there was!!!), and I came across a "DNS Drive Dog (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=697)" (part V00343), meant for salt and pepper mills and candle holders.

Looking at it, I couldn't for the life of me work out how it is meant to be used and the benefits of the thing. I'm in the research phase of buying a vicmarc chuck and a few jaws - one of which was the 25mm pin jaws for making S&P mills, so this drive dog was of some interest.

Couldn't find it on Carrolls website, so I thought I'd ask the learned people here instead...

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
13th November 2009, 10:08 AM
Looks like apart from the spurs you have a choice of 3 diameters on the shaft that you can insert into the shaker hole as a friction drive cum jam chuck. Just guessing though.

TTIT
13th November 2009, 11:18 AM
You're probably right Ern. I'm making some S&P's at the moment for a craft fair and I can see how it could be useful if the first step is 24mm but damned if I can see how it could be handy for candle holders :shrug:

...and who has an M33 spindle anyway :no:

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 11:24 AM
hmmm, looking at it from that point of view, maybe the drive spur is removable and the first step of the drive dog fits into the candle cup. Why would this help though :shrug:

Texian
13th November 2009, 12:42 PM
As Ern said, combination spur center and jam chuck? Beatshelloutame. Pretty sure I don't need one though.

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 01:11 PM
Pretty sure I don't need one though.

surely that's the point of this thread??? To find out of there's a new gadget out there that you suddenly realise you've always desperately wantedneeded :D Or is that just me :rolleyes:

Texian
13th November 2009, 01:39 PM
Quite right Dave. It might have been exactly the tool I needed and didn't realize it until I saw the picture. Probably is indeed the tool that some folks need. That's why they made it. Guess my comment sounded more negative than intended.

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 01:58 PM
must have missed the sarcasm - I'm with you "Beatshelloutame" :D:D:D

brendan stemp
13th November 2009, 10:43 PM
This is how I see it being used. I don't know the exact measurements of the drive or the mechanism its used for so I have guessed some numbers. Drill 25mm in bottom of grinder to a depth of the length of the drive minus, let's say, 10mm. Next drill another hole in bottom to accommodate mechanism depth and diam. This might be 35mm. Place DNS spur drive in head stock and then position grinder timber on lathe over the drive spur. One of the diam of the drive (in this case maybe 35mm) will centre the wood according to the holes that have been drilled and the spur will dig into the bottom of the 25m hole and drive the wood. Bring tailstock up and off you go turning the outside shape. Once finished you can then finish drilling the hole down the middle.

rsser
14th November 2009, 05:03 AM
Makes sense.

Something you could turn up yourself in a few minutes.

Ozkaban
14th November 2009, 08:31 AM
This is how I see it being used. I don't know the exact measurements of the drive or the mechanism its used for so I have guessed some numbers. Drill 25mm in bottom of grinder to a depth of the length of the drive minus, let's say, 10mm. Next drill another hole in bottom to accommodate mechanism depth and diam. This might be 35mm. Place DNS spur drive in head stock and then position grinder timber on lathe over the drive spur. One of the diam of the drive (in this case maybe 35mm) will centre the wood according to the holes that have been drilled and the spur will dig into the bottom of the 25m hole and drive the wood. Bring tailstock up and off you go turning the outside shape. Once finished you can then finish drilling the hole down the middle.

Sounds interesting, but if you drill completely first, then turn, the hole is centered, but if you drill after turning if the bit wanders you're off centre. Maybe the drive spur is there to allow you to rought the blank down and once you've drilled it becomes a friction chuck.

I agree with Ern - you could turn ont up in a few seconds.

Cheers,
Dave