PDA

View Full Version : Used one of these today.

RETIRED
13th November 2009, 08:36 PM
YouTube - freedomisbetter's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/freedomisbetter) Calm, eat your heart out.:D

rsser
13th November 2009, 08:43 PM
Good grief!

If you got a dig it'd fling you out the door :oo:

powderpost
13th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Biggest one I have done so far was 1500mm diameter. Edge turning is ok, problems start when you start turning the face. :-
Good luck . :)
Jim

brendan stemp
13th November 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm wanting to get a bulk order for the VB36 together to make the shipping costs cheaper. I reckon if we can order enough to fill a shipping container we should be able to keep the landed cost of the lathe to around $12,000.:o Anyone interested?:)

Ed Reiss
13th November 2009, 10:17 PM
I'd hate to meet the dog that dish is being made for :o

tea lady
13th November 2009, 10:26 PM
:oo: Oh! That's a big one.:D Looks like fun.:cool: So what did you make?

Woodwould
13th November 2009, 11:20 PM
$12,000! Just jack one side of the truck up, pull the wheel off, mount your blank to the hub, chock the front wheels and keep the engine lit. That's how they used to make lids for wells and washing boilers back home.

artme
14th November 2009, 02:33 AM
:oo::oo:. Well held to the face plate, no doubt.

$12,000! Just jack one side of the truck up, pull the wheel off, mount your blank to the hub, chock the front wheels and keep the engine lit. That's how they used to make lids for wells and washing boilers back home.

Think |Weisyboy put up a U- Tube of just that sort of think sometime back. The bloke was A true bushie. Maybe with an Irish heritage!:D:D:p

Grumpy John
14th November 2009, 06:34 AM

So what did you make?

I'll bet it wasn't a finial :rolleyes: :D.

NeilS
14th November 2009, 11:23 AM
Nice spatter pattern on the wall behind the turner. Must be sap as it doesn't look red enough to be blood....:U

, now that you have had a play, is it worth the $s?

I'd worry that having used it once I'd be dissatisfied thereafter with anything else.

NeilS
14th November 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm wanting to get a bulk order for the VB36 together to make the shipping costs cheaper. I reckon if we can order enough to fill a shipping container we should be able to keep the landed cost of the lathe to around $12,000.:o Anyone interested?:)

Brendan, I'd take a couple IF I had the room for them, which I haven't...:(

Calm
14th November 2009, 11:35 AM
YouTube - freedomisbetter's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/freedomisbetter) Calm, eat your heart out.:D

Where is the tailstock :oo::oo: for real turning :D:D

WHy have a handle that long on a chisel and then choke it - a catch and there is no leverage at all.

A nice toy but i think i'll keep the STUBBY

Cheers

NeilS
14th November 2009, 11:41 AM
WHy have a handle that long on a chisel and then choke it - a catch and there is no leverage at all.

The long handle is probably only used on larger pieces.... :U

Texian
14th November 2009, 12:17 PM
Looks like that fellow's nerves could only take turning that piece at that speed for a short time. Even so, he did a lot better than I would have.

Ed Reiss
14th November 2009, 12:58 PM
Where is the tailstock :oo::oo: for real turning :D:D

A nice toy but i think i'll keep the STUBBY

Cheers

c'mon now David...keep the Stubby, but get the VB for pens !!

tea lady
14th November 2009, 02:48 PM
The long handle is probably only used on larger pieces.... :U

.....:rofl::D

cornucopia
15th November 2009, 02:46 AM
I'd worry that having used it once I'd be dissatisfied thereafter with anything else.

having had my vb for 9 years now- your right nothing else comes close :D
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/a-cornucopia/P1020721.jpg

NeilS
15th November 2009, 04:01 PM
having had my vb for 9 years now- your right nothing else comes close :D

Hmm... that works out at about $1.5K pa here, I'll have to think about that for a bit longer.

I can see that you are a happy camper with your VB, Cornucopia, but where are your matching long tool handles to go with it? Those standard sized tools on the wall look like mini tools along side of all that grunt....:U

PS - just in case you get the wrong impression, I'm not having a go at your turning with the above comment, Cornucopia. In fact I admire the work you have posted on the forum, particularly your large hollow forms!

cornucopia
15th November 2009, 07:39 PM
Those tools are my thread chasing and box making tools, my hollowing tools have got 2' handles so they can be tucked under the forearm.
like these
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/a-cornucopia/DSCF5566.jpg
its a common misconception that if you've got a lathe capable of huge work you only do huge pieces- the reality is not many people can't display those size bits and also big wood isnt easy to come by/man handle. the benefits of a brillantly enginered lathe with perfect bearings show's itself on all of your work with the lack of chatter or any hint of vibration in the piece.

the vb's have gone up in price since i bought mine
mine works out at £333 a year

jefferson
15th November 2009, 11:21 PM
did play on the VB 36 and tried to stall it..... Full flute cuts on an Elsworth grind but the lathe kept going and going..... :D

Unlike a Stubby...... :D:D

NeilS
16th November 2009, 02:44 PM
my hollowing tools have got 2' handles so they can be tucked under the forearm.like these

Yes, Cornucopia, some serious artillery there.

its a common misconception that if you've got a lathe capable of huge work you only do huge pieces- the reality is not many people can't display those size bits and also big wood isnt easy to come by/man handle. the benefits of a brillantly enginered lathe with perfect bearings show's itself on all of your work with the lack of chatter or any hint of vibration in the piece.

Understood, but a heavy and well engineered lathe is essential for very large pieces. Not that many of us do much very large work, and those of us that do don't get to sell them very often for the reason you give. I find that young people who still have room in their houses for large pieces don't have the money to buy them and older people who might have the money have houses that are already too full of 'stuff' to accommodate such pieces.

the vb's have gone up in price since i bought mine
mine works out at £333 a year

Now, if that was A$333 pa I reckon I would go with one.... :happyb: