PDA

View Full Version : DVR XP update

rsser
14th November 2009, 01:44 PM
continuing from here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/selling-stubby-96783/index13.html#post1008117)

Update on the DVR XP.

GJs legs are now painted in grey hammertone. (Was a sod getting the hairs off).

So no more Jova GT jokes thanks.

Spray can was useless; if thick enough to dimple then it would run on the verticals. Paint on worked well.

Legs bolted to the floor.

Still did a scary rock and roll with an unbalanced lump swung away from the bed, so I've used steel straps to cross-brace the legs at the rear. Much better. But there's still movement at 90 degrees to the bed. May have to set the bed back, centred on the legs. ATM it's as far forward as we could get it to make access easy.

Added upper shelf to take tools in use. Course they tend to disappear in the shavings :doh: Plus lower shelf to store spindle blanks.

The replacement detent pin from Jim C is now in place. GJ helped with this as the headstock had to be removed. The new pin was tight in the hole and GJ took a bit off it with wet and dry on the pin spinning in the drill press. It needs more however as I have to rock the head to and fro to get it to seat.

Spent some time adjusting the tailstock to get a better centring with the headstock. It has adjustable plates as keys in the bed gap. Got it pretty close only to find it wouldn't then go over the join in the bed. While the top, side and bottom of the bed slot were machined flat at the factory, the next vertical has a lip that's causing the problem :cool:

The drivetrain continues to impress as powerful and quiet. It can get a big irregular lump up to speed before you've thought of the right expression of surprise.

The speed control continues to depress as slow and awkward to use. An aftermarket rotary control would be a godsend.

hughie
14th November 2009, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE] The speed control continues to depress as slow and awkward to use. An aftermarket rotary control would be a godsend. [/QUOTE

A remote with magnetic base are very handy items, no reaching over. Dunno if its achievable with the DVR might have to track down a tame sparky or that one.

rsser
14th November 2009, 02:51 PM
Users have made remotes for the DVR 3000 Hughie and there are wiring designs in webland.

Haven't seen them with rotary controls though.

And you have to connect to the PCB in the headstock with the associated warranty risks.

What I've added is an emergency stop switch inline with the power supply.

hughie
14th November 2009, 04:12 PM
Now that you mention it I seem to recall a few posts about.Yes of course it will void any warranty .

What beats me is that they don't supply this option :?

Whats the old sale adage? "Find a need and fill it for the right price"

Harry72
14th November 2009, 05:25 PM
Are you using the preset speed selection facility Ern? I set mine at 200/500/800/1200/2000rpm it pretty well covers most of my needs.

rsser
14th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Yep Harry.

I still find it a PITA to have to use 3 finger movements to select each above 500, and there's not enough positive feel or loud enough noise to confirm you're in business. OK, I'm used to a rotary dial and didn't even know what speed it was dialling up; just got the hang of a quick twist and off again. And mixing bowls and spindles, a few more presets wouldn't go astray. Expect I'll get used to it.

But it's another opportunity missed. It's all programmable so why not have 2 or more sets of presets? Diff ones for spindle and faceplate. Why not offer a random variation between two speeds to cut the harmonic vibes when thinning down a bowl wall?

I imagine if this lathe were being used by the hacker/nerd/playstation generation you'd be able to buy the mods on ebay and download the hacks from Bitorrent ;-}

TTIT
15th November 2009, 12:04 AM
I reckon you'd be better off if ya just went out and bought a Stubby Ern :; :roflmao:

rsser
15th November 2009, 06:59 AM
:grumble:

Well the swivel head makes a real difference.

Then of course there are other lathes with one.

Texian
15th November 2009, 02:36 PM
Really does seem like the twisty speed knob would be less costly to the mfg. than the buttons, and more satisfactory to the customer. Love my twisty speed knob.

hughie
15th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Really does seem like the twisty speed knob would be less costly to the mfg. than the buttons, and more satisfactory to the customer. Love my twisty speed knob.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I 'm with you. :2tsup: