PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in persistance

thefixer
16th November 2009, 09:10 PM
G'day all

I never thought something so small could cause so much grief. This little hollow vessel ( all of 73 mm high an 73 mm wide) was made from block of wood I salvaged from a pallet at work. Pic3 shows the other one which is almost the same. My original plan was to make it from one piece but as I was trying to hollow it out I broke the neck off :(( No worries I'll turn up a plug of contrasting wood and glue it in and re turn the neck:2tsup: Then as I was hollowing even more (before I glued the plug in of course) the whole thing split apart and around two thirds of it landed on the floor and the rest was still sitting in the chuck:(( OK glue it back together with epoxy and go at it again. Anyway as I was turning the base I had obviously hollowed more than I thought and the base broke off:(( Well I've gone this far I can't quit now. So I mounted it the other way cleaned up the bottom with a forstener bit, turned another plug and glued it in, also with epoxy and then re turned the base:2tsup: In all I reckon I also turned about five or six scrap pieces to hold it in as sort of jam chucks during it various stages of creation.The reason tor persisting with the hollowing was because of a void near the base and the nail holes which I didn't fill. I wanted to be able to see light through them. I also had to make up a small hollowing tool using a piece of steel bar and ground allen key.

orificiam
16th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Congrarulation Shorty-- Persistance Paid off--Beautiful hollow. The crack gives it
character as does the nail hole.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

powderpost
16th November 2009, 09:37 PM
I like the shape, it's very nice.
Jim

badgaz
16th November 2009, 10:15 PM
Well saved fixer.

I've started turning a few small lidded boxes and have certainly destroyed more than I've produced. It's always just that final touch up that leads to a catch and the inevitable shower of component parts.

I like the finish...how did you get that spectacular shine? I think it really shows the curved surface to full effect.

Regards
Gazza

artme
17th November 2009, 06:12 AM
Yes indeed , but your persistence has paid off handsomely.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
17th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Looks good Shorty :2tsup:. Sometimes ya' just have to keep plugging away - can't let a lousy bit of timber beat ya! - worth the effort though.

Ed Reiss
17th November 2009, 12:57 PM
For all the trouble it gave you the result came out great, Shorty :2tsup: ...what's the wood?

Texian
17th November 2009, 01:18 PM
Very pretty Shorty. Man you get some great looking pallets at work. Does anything get sent from there to here on those pallets?

thefixer
17th November 2009, 03:52 PM
Well saved fixer.

I've started turning a few small lidded boxes and have certainly destroyed more than I've produced. It's always just that final touch up that leads to a catch and the inevitable shower of component parts.

I like the finish...how did you get that spectacular shine? I think it really shows the curved surface to full effect.

Regards
Gazza

Minawax wipe on poly. Good stuff.

thefixer
17th November 2009, 03:54 PM
For all the trouble it gave you the result came out great, Shorty :2tsup: ...what's the wood?

No idea what wood it is. Don't even know what country the pallet came from. I wish i could get more of it in bigger bits though.

Ad de Crom
17th November 2009, 04:56 PM
Shorty, after all these setbacks, maybe you had the thought to throw it away trough the window :((
Luckely you didn't, it looks really very nice.
Ad :2tsup:

wheelinround
17th November 2009, 05:14 PM
TF thats a real nice piece love the shape and contrasting wood and colours shame about the hassles after reading your tail it makes my day look saintly.:2tsup:

thefixer
17th November 2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Ad an Wheelin

I am a stubborn bugger:(( and refused to let a piece of inanimate wood get the better of me. Several time during this job I was tempted to put it in firewood pile but like a dog with a bone I just couldn't let it go:rolleyes:

wheelinround
17th November 2009, 05:34 PM
Just re-reading it with LOML and realised its approx 2 inches square :o thats amazing and a lot to be said for your persistence.

Ray

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2009, 06:58 PM
well done
great effort especially after all the hassles :2tsup:
good save
and an unknown timber to boot
send me the second one when finished :U

badgaz
17th November 2009, 07:21 PM
Minawax wipe on poly. Good stuff.

Thanks shorty

I'll definitely have to try it out.

Many thanks

Gazza

thefixer
17th November 2009, 10:17 PM
well done
great effort especially after all the hassles :2tsup:
good save
and an unknown timber to boot
send me the second one when finished :U

In your dreams:D:D

Ad de Crom
18th November 2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Ad an Wheelin

I am a stubborn bugger:(( and refused to let a piece of inanimate wood get the better of me. Several time during this job I was tempted to put it in firewood pile but like a dog with a bone I just couldn't let it go:rolleyes:
Hey Shorty, that's the right attitude :2tsup:
Cheers, Ad