PDA

View Full Version : help guidance in purchase.

cultana
18th November 2009, 07:05 AM
I need some help guidance etc in looking at purchasing a lathe.

Since I am on the heavily inexperienced end of wood turning and have little knowledge here help suggestions would be very useful.

So far I have sort of come down to two possible options. Though I am not sure if I have got this all correct.

Option 1: Carba-Tec 1.1m Bed Wood Lathe.

Option 2: Hare & Forbes WL-20 Wood Lathe, (W384)

Since I most likely will be turning some legs for chairs and they should all look the same I gather a Copying Attachment/device would be a smart move. The only one I have found was the ‘Carba-Tec Universal Copying Attachment’.

Now besides the basic lathe as per the above what else do I/ should I get?
I doubt I need anything flash at present.

Benefit of Carba-Tec they are in Adelaide so in theory no transport/freight costs to get the lathe home. Hare & Forbes only have a distribution point in Adelaide so I gather there is a freight cost on the item to get it from where ever just to Adelaide, some what of a drawback as that adds to budget, thus cuts back of anything else.

Decisions are a real killer here and I am blaming SWMBO naturally.

Thanks

Ozkaban
18th November 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Cultana,

This question has been raised a lot of times, so a bit of a search will help you a lot.

Both of the lathes mentioned are good starting points, and many on the forums (including me) have one or a variant (They're generically called MC-900 or MC-1100). Lots of people do great work on them.

The lathe is only the starting point though. GOOD quality chisels are essential, as is a good sharpening system. For chisels, the cheapie HSS chinese sets are OK if you must, but you would be much better off buying something like P&N (aussie made). There are better brands, but that would do for now. You'd probably need a reasonable roughing gouge, skew, 10-12mm detail or spindle gouge, maybe a scraper and pick the rest up as you go along. If you buy quality now you really wont regret it. I'm in the process of replacing the chinese HSS ones I have with P&N and other brands and they really are a world apart.

Next stop, sharpening. If you're a beginner and don't have a matser to tutor you, forget freehand grinding for the moment. Get a reasonable jig like the Woodcut Tru-grind, along with a 6" or 8" bench grinder with a mid level white wheel on it. All up, you're looking at ~$400 for this setup. You might be able to save a few $ on the grinder, but don't go too cheap. Blunt tools don't cut and are outright dangerous. As a beginner especially, a consistent, sharp grind is essential.

After this, you have to consider the miriad of chucks, jaws and other accessories. Forget the copy attachment as a beginnner. There is too much sanding, etc to be done afterward. Learn to turn first and then see if you really need it later.

As for learning to turn, get lessons, find someone friendly nearby who is good and patient, or join the loack woodturning club. all of these will speed you on your way. Books will help, but they wont replace tuition. Get lots of 38mm and 70mm square pine posts from Bunnies (cheap as), or scrounge, and practice lots.

Don't neglect dust extraction. There's nothing that can be done for lungs that are stuffed.

Oh, and yes, you will spend a bucket load more on extra bits than on the lathe itself, especially over time.

Hope all of this helps,
Dave

artme
18th November 2009, 10:42 AM
You will probably get the creative urge to do more that copy in a fairly short time. In that case I would vote against either of these machines. They are both sound enough, but the WL20 speed range would bother me. Not slow enough at the bottom end and too slow at the top.

Mind you, if you are on a limited budget either is a good machine to begin with.

You will need chucks, jaws and good quality tools. Poor tools are a waste of time and money and can be dangerous as they may not hold an edge for long.
My father was an axeman and always maintained a blunt axe was more dangerous than a sharp one. This applies to all cutting tools.

You will need a good sharpening set-up.Jigs will be part of this. As a complete system look at the new Jet wetstone set up. Free hand sharpening on a highspeed wheel is an acquired and difficult art.

Hope this hasn't put you off!

cultana
18th November 2009, 01:02 PM
:roflmao:
I was put off before I started on this side venture. As for creativity well I have already considered putting more bars on that cat/bird cage I built for SWMBO and putting someone, who shall not be named, in there. Now that sounds creative already.:D

Well as it was a sort of request demand that chairs should have nice rounded legs I have been pushed in this direction. Personally the only nice rounded legs I care to look at are not furnature legs. :U Also the laminating builds I have played with seem to have quite an interesting scope.

As for lathe work I am quiet happy with metal work, wood just seems to be a huge big new ball game. hence I am sort of looking at a basic system that covers my immediate/forced needs.

As for lathes the Carba-Tec one has a 1.5 HP motor vs the HF one with a 1HP motor. Speed range appears the same.
As for chisels it will initially be controlled by the big $. The need for sharpness I follow as it applies to all timber cutting tools, so nothing new there just different style vs steel in a simplistic sense.

Now all I really need is for SWMBO to get her stuff out of my shed..

Ozkaban
18th November 2009, 01:05 PM
:roflmao:
I was put off before I started on this side venture. As for creativity well I have already considered putting more bars on that cat/bird cage I built for SWMBO and putting someone, who shall not be named, in there. Now that sounds creative already.:D

Well as it was a sort of request demand that chairs should have nice rounded legs I have been pushed in this direction. Personally the only nice rounded legs I care to look at are not furnature legs. :U Also the laminating builds I have played with seem to have quite an interesting scope.

As for lathe work I am quiet happy with metal work, wood just seems to be a huge big new ball game. hence I am sort of looking at a basic system that covers my immediate/forced needs.

As for lathes the Carba-Tec one has a 1.5 HP motor vs the HF one with a 1HP motor. Speed range appears the same.
As for chisels it will initially be controlled by the big $. The need for sharpness I follow as it applies to all timber cutting tools, so nothing new there just different style vs steel in a simplistic sense.

Now all I really need is for SWMBO to get her stuff out of my shed..

May I be as bold to suggest that it's time for SWMBO to get a lovely lathe for a chrissy pressie, and take up this wonderful new hobby of turning chair legs???
:D:D:D

Texian
18th November 2009, 03:10 PM
Cultana, One profound difference between turning metal and wood is that you hold the tool, not the lathe, and the tool is partially supported by riding the bevel of the tool on the work. Get someone to show you the first time and it will avoid much frustration and use of bad language.

cultana
18th November 2009, 04:47 PM
May I be as bold to suggest that it's time for SWMBO to get a lovely lathe for a chrissy pressie, and take up this wonderful new hobby of turning chair legs???
:D:D:D

:oo:
That is taking things tooo far.
I just want my shed back ......:C

cultana
18th November 2009, 04:52 PM
Cultana, One profound difference between turning metal and wood is that you hold the tool, not the lathe, and the tool is partially supported by riding the bevel of the tool on the work. Get someone to show you the first time and it will avoid much frustration and use of bad language.

Heck you mean I can't just watch it all happen. :D

So what you are saying is instead of cutting at centre line you cut just above centre? In essence the cutting process is pushing the tool back onto the piece during cutting for "support" at the tip.

I will have a chat with the local turning club here anyway.

Treecycle
18th November 2009, 05:19 PM
Have a look at the replies to the thread started by big shed. There is some good info there.

tea lady
18th November 2009, 05:39 PM
Heck you mean I can't just watch it all happen. :D

So what you are saying is instead of cutting at centre line you cut just above centre? In essence the cutting process is pushing the tool back onto the piece during cutting for "support" at the tip.

I will have a chat with the local turning club here anyway.
No! You still cut on the centre line. But the tool rest is lower down and the chisel angled up with the bevel supporting the cut. Unless its a skew or a scraper........ Althought the bevel is still rubbing with the skew.....mostly.......:doh:....... :C You really do need to be shown first. Its good there is a local turning club.:cool:

cultana
18th November 2009, 10:27 PM
No! You still cut on the centre line. But the tool rest is lower down and the chisel angled up with the bevel supporting the cut. Unless its a skew or a scraper........ Althought the bevel is still rubbing with the skew.....mostly.......:doh:....... :C You really do need to be shown first. Its good there is a local turning club.:cool:

mostly ????? not sure if that sound good.
Anyway thanks for clearing up that small bit.
Anyway it all comes down to what/if I manage to get a lathe and gear.. This to me is like moving to the dark side of wood work :o .

RETIRED
18th November 2009, 10:47 PM
mostly ????? not sure if that sound good.
Anyway thanks for clearing up that small bit.
Anyway it all comes down to what/if I manage to get a lathe and gear.. This to me is like moving to the dark side of wood work :o .This is "The black arts".:D

Ozkaban
19th November 2009, 10:00 AM
This is "The black arts".:D

Nah, that's when you drop the can of danish oil into the shavings on the floor :D:D:D

cultana
19th November 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys, you are just convincing me that this turning business is all full of secret handshakes with the lathe and special magic mumblings.

When do I cry Help!!! Let me out!!!

Ed Reiss
19th November 2009, 01:14 PM
Nah, that's when you drop the can of danish oil into the shavings on the floor :D:D:D

open or closed Ozb ? :;

Ozkaban
19th November 2009, 02:31 PM
open or closed Ozb ? :;

before or after you drop it :C ?

cultana
19th November 2009, 11:59 PM
Well beside all the black art stuff, I think I have some ideas.
Anyway I have decided to go visit the local turning club next week and see what they have to add to this.

I have had a quick chat with one of the guys from there and i got the same basics comments I have got from here, (minus the black magic scary stuff:D).

More talks and a little play should help me in the right direction.

artme
20th November 2009, 03:09 AM
Well beside all the black art stuff, I think I have some ideas.
Anyway I have decided to go visit the local turning club next week and see what they have to add to this.

I have had a quick chat with one of the guys from there and i got the same basics comments I have got from here, (minus the black magic scary stuff:D).

More talks and a little play should help me in the right direction.

You´re on the money there mate

Replied to you PM BTW>

cultana
20th November 2009, 10:48 AM
You´re on the money there mate

Replied to you PM BTW> Thanks got that

Well it is not going to be an easy road between budget and what I want to do and what I will be required to do as decided by the all mighty commander :(.

Texian
20th November 2009, 02:29 PM
Always good to put the wishes of "the all mighty commander" at the top of the list. It's in your own best interest. I was not planning to spend my day today cutting a blank out of a log and turning a replica of a 125 year-old potato masher that belonged to my wife's grandmother. But that's what I did today and am better off for it.