PDA

View Full Version : plate joining bearers mid span

capedcrusader
16th August 2004, 01:01 PM
Hello All
Can anyone tell me if joining bearers mid span between stumps with two 5mm steel plates and 4 m10 bolts is considered sound building practice?? Only the halved end is rotten and Id prefer not to be removing the 1800 of sound dry wood back to the next stump.
Thanks for any advice.

silentC
16th August 2004, 01:09 PM
Sounds dodgey to me but I'm not sure of the regs. I have a feeling that joins should only occur on top of a pier.

Can't you run a steel C section from one stump to the next and bolt to the original bearer?

duckman
16th August 2004, 01:24 PM
Hello All
Can anyone tell me if joining bearers mid span between stumps with two 5mm steel plates and 4 m10 bolts is considered sound building practice?? Only the halved end is rotten and Id prefer not to be removing the 1800 of sound dry wood back to the next stump.
Thanks for any advice.
In a word NO :)
Its a definate no-no.

Hooroo...

capedcrusader
16th August 2004, 07:51 PM
Silent C
I need a halving joint on the end to join to the side bearer - they built these houses so that the bottom plates of the side walls are bearer sized and at bearer level with the studs continuing down to these.
[QUOTE=duckman]In a word NO :)
Its a definate no-no.QUOTE]

Duckman
Could you tell me why maybe. Ive heard you can plate joint joists like this.

Dylan SJ
16th August 2004, 08:22 PM
The Timber Framing Manual only allows bearers to be joined over stumps.

AS-1684.4
Building Practice: Bearers 4.2.1.1

Joints in bearers shall occur only over supports, with adequate bearing for both members ... All cuts shall be located over the support.
The minimum bearing each side of the joint shall be 50 mmI'm not sure I understand your sitiuation though. Out of curiosity, how old is the house?

capedcrusader
16th August 2004, 08:31 PM
Hello Dylan SJ
Im repairing the halving joint between the side wall and the rear wall bearers. The house is is about 100 years old.