PDA

View Full Version : new cole jaws

Daddy3x
22nd November 2009, 12:05 PM
Just got a set of cole jaws for my SN2 and the plates claim max 600 rpm. Got plans for modifying to accommodate larger plates in the future. It appears to be able to be slipped in behind whatever jaws are on hand and can then turn whatever speed I see fit. the 600 rpm warning is for when the actual plates (buttons) are being used. Just trying to safely save some time not having to remove the jaws all the time. Am I understanding this correctly? Second and final chuck in the near future hopefully. Santa, if you are reading this...

rsser
22nd November 2009, 12:09 PM
There's a bit of mass and some flex in those jaws; adding further quadrants adds more so I'd be reducing the max rpm or building a perspex operator booth.

Edit: maybe I've misunderstood where you plan to add them .... ?

wheelinround
22nd November 2009, 12:13 PM
I have a set made up they are great. :2tsup:

I have seen a super large size in action :o with gap of 1/2" between each plate on the piece they were holding.

Just remember they will take a finger off in a blink just like a saw blade, so no grabbing them to slow or stop the work.

I have a set of these coming from Gary Pye after talking with them they say you can add extender MDF or other on to take them to 14" safely http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445148

Jim Carroll
22nd November 2009, 12:18 PM
The 600 rpm limit is set as a safety guide.

If you want to go faster then that is your choice but the problem is that the buttons may well not hold the peice in place securely enough.

Another good safety practice is to have the tailstock up snug on the bottom and work around this as much as possible to reform the base then take away and you only have a small nub to clean up.

joe greiner
22nd November 2009, 11:19 PM
Wrap four pieces of filament or duct tape across the sides of the bowl, with both ends secured on the back of the disk. This will help to hold everything together. Works with Longworth chucks too.

As an aid to removal, fold about 5mm of each end of the tape back upon itself, to form tabs.

Cheers,
Joe

robbiebgraham
24th November 2009, 08:58 AM
It appears to be able to be slipped in behind whatever jaws are on hand and can then turn whatever speed I see fit.
You are correct, you can have jaws on as well but they aren't as accurate as when they are on the chuck. The slots they fit in aren't machined but cast.
Robbie