PDA

View Full Version : Its all in the head

kps
22nd November 2009, 05:47 PM
One comment that has stuck was 'stop the lathe when you hear a new sound'. The headstock is now much harder to turn manually. Opened the pulley hatch on my little electronic Beaver lathe, powered by an AEG 1HP motor, and everything is lined up, pulley firm in the slot, but headstock casing felt warm to touch.
Have run the motor in reverse, same sound and is still tight to turn manually. Motor is cool/warm to touch - as usual.
What are the symptoms of a headstock bearing problem? If so, what the next steps.
This little Beaver has has been excellent to date, but I am not a full-time turner, so its not had a lot of work. Advice welcomed.

RETIRED
22nd November 2009, 05:57 PM
You have not described the noise but I am guessing that it is a "ticking, rattling noise",

Check the pulleys have not come loose on the spindle and motor.

brendan stemp
22nd November 2009, 05:59 PM
I reckon you've got bearing problems.

kps
22nd November 2009, 06:45 PM
As I have run the lathe a little more, the sound has changed to a higher pitched whine and screech. The resistance to manual turning is now greater so I have abandoned further work til I can pull it down. B@#gar

hughie
22nd November 2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with Brendan you've got bearing problems.Any further usage could put your motor in danger of burnout when the bearings seize.

Sawdust Maker
22nd November 2009, 08:07 PM
Sad :doh:

artme
22nd November 2009, 09:11 PM
Not a happy situation kps.

Just be careful when you strip it down. From my memory of the Beaver I think the headstock casting is a bit light on.

Or is that the newer CT, lathe that looks a bit like the Beaver???