PDA

View Full Version : (Almost) no help from you lot!!!

jefferson
29th November 2009, 08:08 PM
I put the bait out a few days ago.

A Vicmarc or a Stubby.

I was hoping for some more "free" advice. Little or none offered on-line.

But now, I am almost ready to go for another Vicmarc. A SB VL 300. With the outboard turning attachment. A partner to my LB VL 300.

So I should have a LB VL300, a SB 300 plus a baby VL100 here at least for the Xmas bash. Plus Calm's Stubby.... that will stall...... Plus a few other lathes.

Please bring some wood up though. Stuff for big / big platters and bowls. Much to learn here. (I'll save the LB for small stuff though.....)

BYO drinks but no tucker, but bring plenty of wood, please.

Sorry to be off-line. A few bad days.

And, I must ask, would you all mind if I invite some of the locals out? It's important to me.

and Ken got me introduced to the secretary (Harry) at Phillip Island and I've found a home every Wed arvo. Plus most Tues and Thurs with the Pres. I flirt in high company.

I would like to think that I am now the chisel sharpener, but will check with the workshop manager Les before I get ahead of myself. That's about all I can offer at the moment, but geez, the chisels need some attention.

So.....

I have 5-6 K to spend, so your advice better be sound.

And Calm, you better be convincing.

RETIRED
29th November 2009, 08:27 PM

A Vicmarc or a Stubby.

But now, I am almost ready to go for another Vicmarc. A SB VL 300. With the outboard turning attachment. A partner to my LB VL 300.

So I should have a LB VL300, a SB 300 plus a baby VL100 here at least for the Xmas bash. Plus Calm's Stubby.... that will stall...... Plus a few other lathes.

Please bring some wood up though. Stuff for big / big platters and bowls. Much to learn here. (I'll save the LB for small stuff though.....)

And, I must ask, would you all mind if I invite some of the locals out? It's important to me.

and Ken got me introduced to the secretary (Harry) at Phillip Island and I've found a home every Wed arvo. Plus most Tues and Thurs with the Pres. I flirt in high company.

I would like to think that I am now the chisel sharpener, but will check with the workshop manager Les before I get ahead of myself. That's about all I can offer at the moment, but geez, the chisels need some attention.

So.....

And Calm, you better be convincing.Jeff, they are all woodturners so are more than welcome.

DJ’s Timber
29th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Jeff if you want to borrow my VL300 SB to help make your mind up, you're more than welcome to and pick it up. Don't think I'll have to time to use it between now and Xmas so it's just sitting there and i can take it home after the the get together.

Calm
29th November 2009, 08:40 PM
..................A Vicmarc or a Stubby.

So I should have a LB VL300, a SB 300 ...........................

Buying another boat are you Jeff - 2 boat anchors - you need 2 boats don't you?:D:D:p:p

Sometimes Jeff you knock me over with your thought patterns/rationalisations.

Why have 2 lathes the same - you want to do small stuff not big/outboard - right?
So what you need is something that you can get - in front of (unobstructed) - up close (unobstructed) - deadly accurate between centres - Vibration free.

So what have you got - A VL300 (long boat anchour) - of the 4 requirements above it has 2 - deadly accurate between centres - Vibration free.

So what you need to get is the unobstructed bits/requirements and the easiest way is a very short lathe or a swivel head.

So you need a swivelhead lathe that has the other 2 requirements - deadly accurate between centres - Vibration free. - the fact it is a swivel head lathe - deadly accurate between centres - is going to be difficult to obtain because of the fact the headstock moves to get it to relocate perfectly to dead straight (mm perfect) everytime is not easy but possible.

What is available in top quality reasonably heavy duty (vibration free) lathes - a VL175 (boat anchour for a tinny) or a STUBBY 250 (hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, we have been saved) I think the right lathe for you is a STUBBY 250 with a bed that allows 400mm between centres using a chuck (not spur drive) and tailstock.

If there is another brand of lathe in this catagory it hasnt come to mind. Also i would put the VL100 on the market at 75 - 80% new price as you don't use it very often.

What you are thinking of is buying a ute and a tray body - 2 vehicles the same but slightly different. I think you are buying another lathe the same as yours so a visitor can use a good lathe when at your place - i don't think it fills your requirements. - A Stubby 250 or VL175 is still a better lathe than most people have at their homes and not an insult to use.

Just my 15 1/2 cent worth

Cheers

PS how did i do.

Calm
29th November 2009, 08:55 PM
How about this one Jeff (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOOD-LATHE-VICMARC-VL175SH-WOOD-TURNING-LATHE_W0QQitemZ230403991545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_BnI_Woodworking_Metalworking?hash=item35a525e7f9) - Jim knows its history - has the stand foir outboard with it.

Cheers

Chipman
29th November 2009, 09:27 PM
Have you thought about getting a dedicated bowl turning lathe?

VEGA 2600 BOWL LATHE at FactoryNew.com (http://www.factorynew.com/detail.aspx?Recnum=LC-300006)
(a bit similar to a stubby)

or this Union Graduate
http://is.gumtree.com/ad_image/live/big/268997086.jpg

Or (HUGE!!!!)
Huge Bowl Turning Lathe (http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1461678387.html)

Or
Make your own
C. Alexander's WorkShop (http://calexandersworkshop.com/makealathe.html)

and

Homemade Lathe on a Budget - Fine Woodworking Article (http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=26160)

Wish I could come but I am busy with a house reno

Have a good one

Graham

jefferson
30th November 2009, 09:19 AM
PS how did i do.

Did did pretty well, David. agrees too. I'm talking with Jim via email to sort out a few minor details about the VL175. Thanks for taking the effort to help me make the "right" decision.

tea lady
30th November 2009, 09:25 AM
Did did pretty well, David. agrees too. I'm talking with Jim via email to sort out a few minor details about the VL175. Thanks for taking the effort to help me make the "right" decision.They just like shopping with someone elses money.:p And if we get to play with it too all the better.:cool::D

brendan stemp
30th November 2009, 09:55 AM
I refuse to get into the Vicmarc versus Stubby debate (it's a bit like Holden v Ford) but all I can say is I agree with most of what Calm has said (those bits about the boat anchors I'll ignore). I have both a VL300 LB and a VL175 and find myself on the 175 almost all the time. Why? ... mainly because it is so much easier to manoeuvre the tail stock and banjo which are significantly lighter than those on the 300. I also think the swivelling head is a significant advantage. So why not buy the outboard attachment and a 175 and the outboard attachment can then be put on either lathe. I really cant see the point of buying another 300 even if it is the short bed.

jefferson
30th November 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Brendan.

I'll go the VL175 route I think. Just not sure about the controller box. I won't be placing the unit against a wall. I assume it can fit in the frame somewhere. I also want one of the moveable switches with the magnetic base.

And a red emergency bar.....

Got to talk with Jim.

TTIT
30th November 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Brendan.

I'll go the VL175 route I think. Just not sure about the controller box. I won't be placing the unit against a wall. I assume it can fit in the frame somewhere. I also want one of the moveable switches with the magnetic base.

And a red emergency bar.....

Got to talk with Jim.Moveable switch on a magnetic base, Big Red emergency bar and the one key ability that the Vicmarcs don't have - - - the ability to bring up the tailstock on the big stuff - :;

Calm
30th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Moveable switch on a magnetic base, Big Red emergency bar and the one key ability that the Vicmarcs don't have - - - the ability to bring up the tailstock on the big stuff - :;

I would seriously look at the availability of the Swivel head STUBBY the 250.:2tsup::2tsup:

The advantage of this one is you choose how long you want the bed - ie foot print.:2tsup::2tsup:

Probably the same price new or close to it.

Both good quality lathes.

Cheers

jefferson
30th November 2009, 02:15 PM
The deal is already done.... :):):)

I spoke with Jim (thanks again for the great advice, as always) and went the VL175 option. I should have the new baby here in a week or so. But no time to play on it - damn renovations!

And Vern, your comment re tail-stock support was a consideration, but I don't turn much big stuff (yet).

If and when I do, probably would think about either of the big Stubbies. But that's a long way off. In the meantime, I'll just have to use the chisels as good as I can, stay catch-free, play it safe and make sure that the lump is well secured when turning outboard on the LB VL300.

Now, Calm, are you going to bring the Stubby up????? will probably stall it in front of everyone. :D:D:D

If it's a hassle, don't worry. We now have 3 long beds and two mini lathes, one VS, the other not. I'll ask at the local Club if you think we need more.

KenW
30th November 2009, 02:35 PM

A Vicmarc or a Stubby.

So.....

And Calm, you better be convincing.
Jeff you don't need another lathe.
No matter what brand you buy, you still have to learn to use it.You would be better off with a CNC lathe, then you would only have to learn to program. Much easier than learning to turn.
I need to talk to Annie, she might be able to talk some sense into you.

skot
30th November 2009, 03:22 PM
CNC Lathe....where's the fun in that.

You just bcome a process worker

rsser
30th November 2009, 03:40 PM
Moveable switch on a magnetic base, Big Red emergency bar and the one key ability that the Vicmarcs don't have - - - the ability to bring up the tailstock on the big stuff - :;

Pity about the puke colour though.

Did Enzo get a job-lot of public toilet paint? :p

Calm
30th November 2009, 04:58 PM
The deal is already done............... and went the VL175 option. I should have the new baby here in a week or so. But no time to play on it - damn renovations!
Now, Calm, are you going to bring the Stubby up????? will probably stall it in front of everyone. :D:D:D he's just a show off - i can stall it too if that's all i want to do

Jeff wont cancel the STUBBY coming with me just yet - wait til closer to see that your 175 turns up.

Also Ken and I are used to turning on "better" equipment http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gifhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gifhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif not all your visitors will be trained on "premier" lathes so might as well give them a thrill for Christmas - Jim might appreciate that - a few orders for the new year when he gets back to work.

Cheers