1st December 2009, 03:26 AM
:oo::oo:Brave lad, good result!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
1st December 2009, 06:15 AM
Hmm, results leave me cold.

artme
1st December 2009, 06:42 AM
Hmm, results leave me cold.

Good in terms of not smashing anything apart.

murray44
1st December 2009, 08:16 AM
Not worth risking an eye....or an arm.......or a head, for a very average result.

Unimpressive.

Ozkaban
1st December 2009, 08:41 AM
This guy has much bigger #$@&# than I do :o

Don't know if I would word it quite like that. Not having the sense to recognise blatant danger doesn't equate to courage. One belt from the end of that propellor and whatever it hits stays hit, face shield or no.

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
1st December 2009, 09:25 AM
I don't have a problem with him turning propeller style or the end result if he's happy with it - - - - - but I don't understand why anyone would bother uploading such poor quality video :puke::yuk::gaah:

Waldo
1st December 2009, 11:50 AM
Scared the :yikes: out of me that video as I felt like holding every part of my anatomy.

Imagine having a brain phart and thinking you needed to get your head in closer for a look at how you are going. :o

As for the end result: I'm a coffee drinker not tea. :no:

Woodturnerjosh
1st December 2009, 02:05 PM
Bah! That's pretty tame compared to this Finishing Firedance #11 (http://www.got.net/~burly/InProgress8-14-01.html) :p:D

Although it does look pretty scary on video!!:oo:

Frank&Earnest
2nd December 2009, 09:37 PM
Any other consideration aside, why using a lathe when an arbortech wheel would do a better job? Is there anything intrinsically holy in twisting something meant to do round things to produce less boring shapes?

RETIRED
2nd December 2009, 09:48 PM
Gees people. Every time you face a lump of wood that is spinning it is dangerous.

We spin logs weighing up to 3.5 tonnes. Idiots, perhaps, but every precaution is taken to keep it safe.

I am sure he is aware of the risks.

Some pieces you see here would never be done if they just said, " lets carve it instead."

Some people do things because they can.

Frank&Earnest
2nd December 2009, 10:09 PM
Some people do things because they can.

:2tsup:That's exactly what I answered when the woodturners' club "president" asked "why" when I showed him some chucking tricks. Showing off does not equate to being efficient, though... have you ever turned finials with square inserts? :D

murray44
2nd December 2009, 10:57 PM
Gees people. Every time you face a lump of wood that is spinning it is dangerous.

Fair enough , but this guy spins his log and ends up with something that looks completely average. Probably worth the risk if he ended up with fine art, but he doesn't.

I suspect he's more intent on doing 'multi axis turning' despite what the finished product might look like.

BobL
2nd December 2009, 10:58 PM
hmm, results leave me cold.

+1

NeilS
3rd December 2009, 09:17 AM
Have turned a few propeller-like pieces and if long enough (eg attached 750mm diam piece, still at rough turned stage) they sure do sound like a propeller as they 'woof woof' past the toolrest.

Needless to say it's face mask work, but also have to constantly repeat the mantra "keep fingers behind toolrest, keep fingers behind toolrest, keep fingers ....." to myself as I turn.... :U

Ozkaban
3rd December 2009, 11:16 AM

We spin logs weighing up to 3.5 tonnes. Idiots, perhaps, but every precaution is taken to keep it safe.

Sure, but you can see them solidly, and if you do put your hand on it when it's turning you get to keep your hand...

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2009, 02:15 PM
Sure, but you can see them solidly, and if you do put your hand on it when it's turning you get to keep your hand...

Yes, I agree with you that the risk here is not really a matter of turning technique, but I think 's valid point is that risk is a necessary part of life and progress.

This said, count me with Ern, Bob, Murray et al. to say that even if we accept that the end justifies the means, the results shown do not appear to justify any risk...

I'll reserve judgement on your propeller, Neil, until it's finished...:D

Ozkaban
3rd December 2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, I agree with you that the risk here is not really a matter of turning technique, but I think 's valid point is that risk is a necessary part of life and progress.

This said, count me with Ern, Bob, Murray et al. to say that even if we accept that the end justifies the means, the results shown do not appear to justify any risk...

I'll reserve judgement on your propeller, Neil, until it's finished...:D

I agree with you on all three points actually... Robbos point about woodturning being risky regardless is certainly valid.

RETIRED
3rd December 2009, 05:59 PM
Sure, but you can see them solidly, and if you do put your hand on it when it's turning you get to keep your hand...I am sorry, I disagree. Would you put your hand in here? You would lose it and possibly your whole arm.

Spinning:123450

Stationary:123451

I'll reserve judgement on your propeller, Neil, until it's finished...:DThat is the main point that I was making about safety. (I hate the phrase) but a risk assessment in most turning jobs is necessary and I think that most people do it unconsciously.

Whilst I agree that there are other means to an end my original statement stands "because I can" and I think unless you take that attitude you don't advance.

People may never want to do a job like that but it opens up the possibility that it can be done.

I have seen some beautiful bowls and serving trays done exactly like that.

Ozkaban
3rd December 2009, 08:59 PM
I am sorry, I disagree. Would you put your hand in here? You would lose it and possibly your whole arm.

Spinning:123450

Stationary:123451

That is the main point that I was making about safety. (I hate the phrase) but a risk assessment in most turning jobs is necessary and I think that most people do it unconsciously.

Whilst I agree that there are other means to an end my original statement stands "because I can" and I think unless you take that attitude you don't advance.

People may never want to do a job like that but it opens up the possibility that it can be done.

I have seen some beautiful bowls and serving trays done exactly like that.

Fair enough. You're the master and I'm the novice. I'd happily stand back and watch... both for the propellor and that tree trunk you're turning:o!

Cheers,
Dave

thefixer
3rd December 2009, 09:28 PM
Not quite on the same scale as the log turner but pretty scary just the same. My niece asked if I could make a wooden spoon. So always up for a challenge I stupidly said of course I can. The basic shape was no problem turning between centres, but hollowing out the spoon bit really had me clenching my bum cheeks together. I had to remove two jaws from the chuck to mount it and I was very close to the jaws with the chisel and had to contend with the propeller whizzing around as well. Sanding was even scarier. I did the under side with a hand plane.

Ed Reiss
4th December 2009, 12:52 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way :U ...good work Shorty, but I'm just glad I don't have a niece asking for a spoon:;

Frank&Earnest
4th December 2009, 10:29 PM
..... I did the under side with a hand plane.

Well, seen that you sinned against the Lathe God anyway, why didn't you use a hand tool for the hollowing also? :)

rsser
6th December 2009, 02:30 PM
The challenge presumably.

Nice work Shorty.

Scoops next?

rsser
6th December 2009, 02:34 PM
Have turned a few propeller-like pieces and if long enough (eg attached 750mm diam piece, still at rough turned stage) they sure do sound like a propeller as they 'woof woof' past the toolrest.

That's impressive Neil.

What comes next?

wheelinround
6th December 2009, 03:26 PM
Having seen Graeme Priddle turn his vessels amazing stuff Graeme Priddle's Home Page (http://www.graemepriddle.co.nz/) especially his off centre turnings

wheelinround
6th December 2009, 06:38 PM
Found a pic of Priddles bowl this is turned each small outer hole also talk about balancing act and wild edges.

http://naw.org.nz/galleries/Kawerau%202007/images/c2_3rd_graeme_priddle.jpg

Ed Reiss
7th December 2009, 12:52 PM
wow, Priddles is doing some amazing work !!!

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 03:14 PM
Sure is eh .
I want some of that golden wood thats' black on the inside :wink:

wheelinround
7th December 2009, 03:28 PM
Sure is eh .
I want some of that golden wood thats' black on the inside :wink:

:D:; he has a secret stash somewhere in NZ Jock forest all to himself says he often see's the wee fairies, goblins and Galandolf