PDA

View Full Version : Filling a Gap

joe greiner
4th December 2009, 10:13 PM
A link to this was recently placed on the AAW forum. V&A is the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

It's written in museum-speak, but most of us can decipher it. As Mr. Adamson says, "... the problem with filling a gap with an object is that you create two new gaps on either side of it."

Worth a look: Filling a Gap: Recent Acquisitions of Turned Wood at the V&A - Victoria and Albert Museum (http://www.vam.ac.uk/res_cons/research/online_journal/journal-2-index/adamson-filling-the-gap/index.html)

Cheers,
Joe

Manuka Jock
4th December 2009, 10:54 PM
A great find Joe .
makes excellent reading ,
cheers

artme
4th December 2009, 11:42 PM
A good read. Thanks Joe!!:2tsup::2tsup:

So finally one of the world's great museums has recognized the importance of of our art?craft.

rsser
5th December 2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah. Good step. I'll be ready when they ring me ;-}

Think it's the V&A that has the tea room decorated in the Arts and Crafts style. Ruskin was an exponent. Funny story there. He'd learned his female anatomy from classical sculpture and other art. On his wedding night he failed to consummate since hair down there had not been in the pictures and he was, er, put off his stroke so to speak.

Manuka Jock
5th December 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah. Good step. I'll be ready when they ring me ;-}

Think it's the V&A that has the tea room decorated in the Arts and Crafts style. Ruskin was an exponent. Funny story there. He'd learned his female anatomy from classical sculpture and other art. On his wedding night he failed to consummate since hair down there had not been in the pictures and he was, er, put off his stroke so to speak.
He'd be in his element in todays world tho eh , Brazil styles and all :rolleyes:

Rare is the time that I have seen lathe art even in an Art Gallery .
Maybe I live in the wrong city

NeilS
5th December 2009, 11:04 PM
In a previous life I was a potter and all of my teachers and mentors are represented in the state and national art galleries of Australia, along with a few of my contemporaries now.

It irks me that I would probably also be represented should I have continued as a potter, but have buckley's chance as a wood turner. Not so much an ego thing, but more a frustration that the aesthetics of woodturning is not considered as valid as ceramics.

For example, I would consider the work of Ken Wraight to be as aesthetically meritorious as many of the state and national gallery acquisitions in ceramics.

Hopefully the V&A initiative will begin a wider trend.

Paul39
6th December 2009, 01:01 PM
Asheville, NC, USA, is a hotbed of artists, so there are quite a few turned pieces in galleries and shops. The ceramics do predominate though.

The Mint Museum of Art in Charlotte, NC was given 120 choice turnings by the Masons of Washington, DC.

Mason Collection Coming to Mint Museum of Craft and Design (http://www.tfaoi.com/newsmu/nmus74b.htm)

View photos of the collection:

Mason Collection Artist Index (http://www.mintmuseum.org/mason/masonsite/artistindex.html)

rsser
6th December 2009, 01:23 PM
Great stuff there. Terrific collection of work. Thanks Paul.

Just as a BTW, Asheville in the 30s and 40s figures in Barbara Kingsolver's latest novel. A good read.

Manuka Jock
6th December 2009, 08:37 PM
Here we have (http://www.woodturningcenter.org/) The Wood Turning Center,
"a Philadelphia-based not-for-profit international arts institution, museum, gallery and resource center "

They have small online exhibits too

Ed Reiss
7th December 2009, 12:50 PM
Right you are MJ...but parking over there is a b@^!* :~

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 03:21 PM
Right you are MJ...but parking over there is a b@^!* :~

Aye , its' getting that way most places eh.
Shuttle transport from carpark to venue sorta flattens the day a bit huh.

Paul39
8th December 2009, 05:23 AM
That's why big cities have public transportation. As a tourist I look at the transport as part of the entertainment.

Here is one day in NYC that my daughter treated me to last August.

Flew from Raleigh, NC to Newark Fri. evening, hotel near airport.

We hit the floor at 6:30 Saturday morning, hotel van to airport, bus to Newark Penn Station, PATH Train to WTC Station, 8th Ave. Subway to 34th St., Empire State Building, Subway to 42nd St., NY Public Library, Grand Central, Sub to 86th St., 4 hours at Guggenheim, bus to 110th St., Cathedral of St. John the Devine, bus to Kofi - Greek Restaurant, 8th Ave Sub to 59th St., change to 7th Ave Sub to South Ferry, Staten Island Ferry and back, Sub to near WTC, Path Train to Newark Penn Station, bus to Airport, van to Hotel, in bed by midnight:30.

The whole day of transportation cost us less than $20 each. No city driving, no parking.

joe greiner
8th December 2009, 09:14 PM
Right about public transit. Walking, too. Some places, like Manhattan NYC, it's easier to dispense with a privately-owned vehicle and rent a car or truck as needed. Long-term parking costs for POVs can eat your lunch.

Cheers,
Joe