PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive bulk buy?

rsser
5th December 2009, 04:41 PM
Sanding is the bane of my life.

Bruce at this place (http://www.thesandingglove.com/) has some interesting stuff and I'm planning on getting some gear shipped over. Look through his catalogue in PDF format for the full range.

This is his advice re power sanding discs:

The Cubitron is the fastest cutting, longest lasting abrasive available. The conversion discs last through many discs so the cost is really not a big factor.

We also have a NORTON line of Ceramic discs with a velcro back. Longer lasting than any aluminum oxide discs but not as long as the Cubitron.

Abranet is another abrasive that is very good and won't clog because it is an open mesh material. Requires protector pads for good grip which we also carry.

I've done some net reading and have no reason to doubt these claims.

If there's enough interest I'll organise a bulk buy to save on shipping costs.

Payment will have to be upfront to me with an allowance to cover bank/Paypal charges and local forwarding charges.

Have a look and let me know.

Cut off date mid-Jan. If interest is minimal I'll pull the plug.

Ozkaban
5th December 2009, 04:46 PM
Seems interesting, Ern.

Will have a wade through the extensive catalogue and see if there's anything there that takes my fancy.

I am in need of 50mm sanding disks, but have been tossing up with making my own out of sheets or buying disks. :think:

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
5th December 2009, 05:24 PM
Yep Dave, there are good local sources of velcro sheets of paper that will do the job.

For 2" a bit of car exhaust pipe with the inside shaped/sharpened, a hammer and a block of wood and you're away. Hughie I think has posted on the use of 3" gal post pipe caps for that size. TTIT ?? on a dulled hole saw ditto.

As for local abrasive types, there have been various posts about that too.

My bottom line is that the diffs are marginal, but margins matter with failing paws of the type that I have, so anyone that wants to piggy back on something that I'm gunna do is welcome.

hughie
5th December 2009, 05:52 PM
Ern I am in, just gotta through the cattledog and see what I need. :2tsup:

much appreciated

artme
6th December 2009, 03:58 AM
Some very interesting gear in the cattledog Ern.

The Cubitron only goes to 400grit. Which is a pity. I guess after that it's back to other abrasives.To do a complete job with pen making one would need to emu bob the cattledog.

Sawdust Maker
6th December 2009, 09:31 AM
I could come on board
will look through the cattledog over the next few weeks

rsser
6th December 2009, 12:53 PM
Goodo.

The Cubitron only goes to 220 I think.

Anyone up for a diamond disc??

Texian
6th December 2009, 01:51 PM
The Cubitron certainly sound interesting, but a little pricey for some of us just to "try" something new, even without shipping to Oz. Guess you could buy a couple sets and subcontract out sets (of one each grade) at your cost to interested folks. Just a random thought.

rsser
6th December 2009, 02:01 PM
Yes, though a rational calc might come up positive: life/cost. Have to buy some to see of course.

I'm a bit less rationally oriented re sanding, since first I hate it and second my paws complain with sustained static load.

Have just acquired a Makita 90 degree angle drill for power sanding and that helps the paws problem. The forces play out differently compared with a std power drill; I don't have to grip as tightly.

Bruce sells a knock-off of the Milwaukee 55 degree angle drill but of course it's 120v.

Texian
6th December 2009, 04:03 PM
Guess that could be the topic of another thread (why do so many of us hate sanding?). The dust, of course.

Off topic, what voltage and frequency is standard there? Probably should know this, but there is too much to know and too few active brain cells.

rsser
6th December 2009, 04:21 PM
Nothing new under the sun Richard.

There was a thread about sanding, and a shorter related one about how to minimise it, some time ago.

Re power: we have 240v; with universal motors frequency is not an issue. A step-down transformer however is in the order of $150.

I did look into having a Milwaukee shipped over and it wasn't worth it; not just cos of the transformer and shipping costs but also because it doesn't have a positive speed stop. For someone young and supple the latter shouldn't be a deterrent, and the angle of the head has some advantages. With no disrespect to Bruce Hoover, I wouldn't take on the overheads of importing a knock-off given the punishing conditions it would have to perform in.

Robo hippy in the US uses the Milwaukee and IIRC has gone through several sets of bearings. Course, we couldn't assume we could source them locally so there's another minus for us.

Texian
7th December 2009, 03:01 AM
Guess you could assemble a duplex outlet box with two outlets wired in series, run two 120V drills, one in each hand. Probably a dumb-a** idea and potentially hazardous. Never mind. I need more coffee.

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2009, 09:52 AM
I am interested but... I can't see velcro backed sheets. :?
I can see velcro backed disks & I found the velco backed Sia strip.

NeilS
8th December 2009, 11:43 AM
Ern, could you please put me down for:

900DZ CubitronTM Ceramic Discs
<TABLE dir=ltr style=" 342px; 85px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=342 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>900D-2-SP
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>2" Starter Pack
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>US$18.95
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>900D-3-SP
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>3" Starter Pack
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=6>US$21.95
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and

<TABLE dir=ltr style=" 342px; 86px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=342 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>Credit Card Hone - FINE
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>DIA-CC-FN
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>$11.95
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>Credit Card Hone - EXTRA FINE
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>DIA-CC-XF
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="33%" height=5>$11.95
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

May have gone for more of the Cubitron, but already have large supply of loop back abrasive. I also tend to prang as many disks (on winged forms, etc) as I wear out, which would defeat the longevity benefit of the Cubitron. However, would like to test run for future reference.

Thanks.