PDA

View Full Version : Almond for Christmas

wheelinround
9th December 2009, 10:04 PM
I scored some Almond today :U approx 300x150dia now do what FE says (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/almond-tree-any-use-67484/) and seal it.

artme
9th December 2009, 10:15 PM
Good on you Weeli', you lucky bugger. Apparently it is a top turning timber.:2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
9th December 2009, 10:52 PM
I scored some Almond today :U approx 300x150dia now do what FE says (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/almond-tree-any-use-67484/) and seal it.

Thanks for the acknowledgment.:) I feel obligated to add, due to recent experience with this and other fruitwoods, that to keep the log whole, let it crack and then cut it along the generally single big crack does not work as well with the branches as with the trunks. If they were subject to torsion, the crack spirals and you end up with short pieces (might be ok for small bowls blanks where length = width) or a lot of wastage instead of two reasonably regular half logs. Splitting in the middle beforehand, if you can, is always the best option. Good luck! :2tsup:

wheelinround
10th December 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the acknowledgment.:) I feel obligated to add, due to recent experience with this and other fruitwoods, that to keep the log whole, let it crack and then cut it along the generally single big crack does not work as well with the branches as with the trunks. If they were subject to torsion, the crack spirals and you end up with short pieces (might be ok for small bowls blanks where length = width) or a lot of wastage instead of two reasonably regular half logs. Splitting in the middle beforehand, if you can, is always the best option. Good luck! :2tsup:

Thanks FE so straight down the middle of the log is best ???? It is what I had considered with it. I have some Cherry I left whole about the same size its drying nicely little cracking checking.

Ray

Frank&Earnest
10th December 2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks FE so straight down the middle of the log is best ???? It is what I had considered with it. I have some Cherry I left whole about the same size its drying nicely little cracking checking.

Ray
Yep. Cherry should be similar, same family, but in my limited experience seems to prefer many fine cracks instead of a big one or two like plum, peach and almond. Again, it might be due to the stresses of the individual trees, and I have dried only a dozen or so, so YMMV.:)

wheelinround
10th December 2009, 04:35 PM
:2tsup: ty FE

rsser
13th December 2009, 06:23 AM
FWIW I found it a sod to dry but well worth the effort. Got a bootload once. Most checks started in the dark fibres under the bark and then would go gang-busters so rough turning bowls getting rid of that darker stuff is worth doing with some of it. Even then, wrap in plastic/bury in shavings and check every couple of days. With spindle blanks, even sealer and plastic produced a failure rate of about 50%.

Good luck Wheelin.

Pat
13th December 2009, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a bit of mucking around. I know what, I'll take it off your hands:;

wheelinround
13th December 2009, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a bit of mucking around. I know what, I'll take it off your hands:;

:no: No trouble at all Pat sealed it will slice at later date :q wish I had enough to share:;

Sawdust Maker
13th December 2009, 07:27 AM
:no: No trouble at all Pat sealed it will slice at later date :q wish I had enough to share:;

I'd second that option, so get more next time ... ya lucky bvgger
nice score

wheelinround
13th December 2009, 07:34 AM
I'd second that option, so get more next time ... ya lucky bvgger
nice score

That Olive Nick hows it doing :rolleyes: how much did we get :;