PDA

View Full Version : Importing Lathes from Canada or U.S

BOX
11th December 2009, 10:54 PM
G'DAY all,
Can anyone tell me how hard would it be to import a Lathe from Canada or the U.S.
Cheers Bob

hughie
11th December 2009, 11:47 PM
Not to hard,but there are a few things you might want to look at after the freight and duty etc. The duty would around 5% plus GST = 15% But check with customs theres been a few changes since I last imported any thing of any size.

The other and perhaps more worrisome is the service and spare parts, ie Oneway might sell you a lathe but offer no support in Oz. :C

Crunch the numbers and then do the numbers again on locally available lathes and see how you go.

artme
12th December 2009, 03:03 AM
I intend to stick with what I can get in Oz, for all the reasons Hughie outlines.:):):)

Grumpy John
12th December 2009, 06:31 AM
Not to hard,but there are a few things you might want to look at after the freight and duty etc. The duty would around 5% plus GST = 15% But check with customs theres been a few changes since I last imported any thing of any size.

The other and perhaps more worrisome is the service and spare parts, ie Oneway might sell you a lathe but offer no support in Oz. :C

Crunch the numbers and then do the numbers again on locally available lathes and see how you go.

Are you sure about the GST Hughie, I thought this was only applied to things SOLD in Australia to be used in Australia and not applied to items imported for personal use. There is probably GST applied to the 5% duty, we all know how the government likes to double dip (taxes applied to taxes).

Woodturnerjosh
12th December 2009, 07:21 AM
I know people who were looking at importing archery equipment (personal use) that were told that they would pay something around the previously mentioned %15 (not sure if it was GST or something else) on items over $1000 landed cost.
That may have had something to do with the nature of the equipment though.
I'd stick to Australian made unless you've got something in mind that Omega and Vicmarc don't cater for.
Cheers
Josh

Big Shed
12th December 2009, 07:25 AM
GST and imported goods (http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm)

WOODY70
12th December 2009, 08:58 AM
Are you sure about the GST Hughie, I thought this was only applied to things SOLD in Australia to be used in Australia and not applied to items imported for personal use. There is probably GST applied to the 5% duty, we all know how the government likes to double dip (taxes applied to taxes).
Gst is added to all items that enter Australia. The only way out is if it is a gift or personal affects when moving from overseas. Customs generally check for goods over $1000-00 however these checks are random and can still occur under $1000-00.

There is possibly a 5% duty. However if it is from The US there is a free trade agreement in place and if made in the US there will possibly be no duty.

The big down side is if made in the US they have 110 volts power supply.

Support your local industry! It's good for the country.

hughie
12th December 2009, 04:03 PM
There is possibly a 5% duty. However if it is from The US there is a free trade agreement in place and if made in the US there will possibly be no duty.

When I was in the import game if the duty was less than $250 they really did not want to know, just too much paper work :U............ I loved it :2tsup:

joe greiner
12th December 2009, 10:49 PM
Made IN or FOR USA. Also different mains frequency: USA is 60Hz. Motor speeds may be inaccurate.

[ example: MC900 is exactly the same as HF34706, except for paint colour. ]

Cheers,
Joe

Harry72
12th December 2009, 10:53 PM
Isnt Canada 230v 50hz like us?

Harry72
12th December 2009, 11:00 PM
Nope they 120~240v 60Hz like USA

Mains power around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_systems)

Grumpy John
13th December 2009, 05:40 AM
GST and imported goods (http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm)

Gst is added to all items that enter Australia. The only way out is if it is a gift or personal affects when moving from overseas. Customs generally check for goods over $1000-00 however these checks are random and can still occur under $1000-00.

Support your local industry! It's good for the country.

Well there you go, I'm wrong again :doh:.

rsser
13th December 2009, 05:53 AM
Freq difference doesn't affect Universal motor speed.

Freight cost would be the killer.

BOX
13th December 2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys,reason I asked is there is a guy in Canada Mike is name can't remember the name he trades as,anyway the lathe was a Rockwell looks a bit like the Woodfast 900 from the 80s he was selling it for $750 can.

Cheers Box

WOODY70
13th December 2009, 12:20 PM

Sorry. The motor speed will change with the frequency. The rpm of a motor running with 50hz will increase when run at 60hz. Faster cycle will be a faster run. This was a major problem with exporting machines made in Australia to the US. This was a major influence why Vicmac went away from Mechanical variable speed drives (which is a better system) to Electronic.

joe greiner
13th December 2009, 09:30 PM

Perhaps it's not a universal motor, then: First hit from Google [mc900 lathe speed]: wood lathe,MCJ1000,MC900 - Woodworking Lathe Machine - Product Catalog - CHINA SHOOT MACHINERY CO.,LIMITED (http://www.shootmachine.com/sdp/44601/4/pd-12332/1421534-1555069/wood_lathe_MCJ1000_MC900.html)

See the speed ranges about half way down the page.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
13th December 2009, 09:53 PM
Perhaps it's not a universal motor, then: First hit from Google [mc900 lathe speed]: wood lathe,MCJ1000,MC900 - Woodworking Lathe Machine - Product Catalog - CHINA SHOOT MACHINERY CO.,LIMITED (http://www.shootmachine.com/sdp/44601/4/pd-12332/1421534-1555069/wood_lathe_MCJ1000_MC900.html)

I am unaware of any motor that can run at the same rpm with differing cycles ie 60-50.

But it should not be too bad coming this way as it will run faster and maybe run hotter. The difference is 20%, I have brought in motors for fans etc and it has not been a problem.

With Vicmarc going the other way it would be different.... if not a total PITA.

At the end of the day spares and service are going to be the major problem.