PDA

View Full Version : Remote for Vicmarc

gtwilkins
12th December 2009, 04:24 PM
G ‘day everyone,

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket remote control box available for a Vic300EVS (Australian Model), or has anyone built one?

I was turning an 18” square platter outboard today and had to start the lathe and dial up the speed then walk through the firing line to get turning. Shutting down is easy as I can kick the shut-off bar but going by that whirligig was a bit unnerving!

The new model comes with a remote but it doesn’t have the buttons in the lathe base like mine does. If possible I would like to have both systems.

Thank You, Trevor in snowy Powell River

rsser
12th December 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Trevor,

Haven't heard of one but ask Vicmarc: [email protected]

Or maybe an emergency switch would turn on as well as off; click (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category105_1.htm)

So are you buried in snow and frozen stiff?

gtwilkins
12th December 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Ern,

It's not too bad, just a rude reminder, we have had a beautiful fall with just a couple of storms. I had roses still budding out until a couple of days ago when the temperature dropped to -5C.

Last night it started to snow but the temperature is hovering around 0 so everything is melting then freezing so the streets are a sheet of ice, fell on my bum tonight walking the pooch. Very pretty though!

I will get hold of Vicmarc, the problem is it has to go through one of the dealers here and everything comes on a slow boat from nowhere, normally 2-3 months. Just hoping someone might have a quicker idea.

I thought about a stop/start switch but I like to ramp the speed up slowly just in case when I have big lumps whizzing round outboard.

Thanks, Trevor

old pete
12th December 2009, 05:23 PM
Hi GTWIlkins,

You can make this as hard or as easy as you want and it will work for any lathe. Just get your local electrician to install an external surfaces 15 amp switch on the stand or cabinet on the right hand side of your lathe. This conects to your wall socket outlet.This external surfaces switch is then wired through the power supply switch to the left hand end of things and becomes your master control feeding power to the smart end. If you need to turn off in an emergency from the right hand end then its there and it also allows you to turn on from that end in the normal course of turning. It's also extremely handy for long hole drilling and pepper grinder boring, of which I do a lot, to have a control on the business end where the drill is inserted. Why do you use an external surfaces switch.....cause of the dust entering the switch box in an ordinary switch that's all. You can also purchase off the shelf a foot control on/ off switch on a lead that you can place wherever you want. You could set this up as i suggest above or just make it your primary power supply control. Wiring these adaptations although simple is the domain of a licensed sparkie by State law.

Incidentally I have spent thousands of hours turning and I don't feel any need to stand clear of the blank on start up. If you are spindle turning there shouldn;t be any balance problem anyway, if you are turning out of balance face plate work then get it pretty well statically balanced by adding tacked on lead strip etc and start at a very low speed of say 250 or 300 rpm till you get some balance into the job and a lot of the waste wasted to get the mass down. My suggestion if you fear being in the line of fire in front of the lathe is to slow the speed down a bit until the operator skills go up a bit.

Happpy turning

old pete

RETIRED
12th December 2009, 05:45 PM
I am a sook, woosy and a sissy because I always use a remote switch on a new blank when starting except on chair legs or small spindle stuff.

Vicmark do make a remote switch. I have seen one at Jeffs.

A wall switch may not work because I think the Vicmark has a magnetic switch that relies on power to stay locked in.

WOODbTURNER
12th December 2009, 09:16 PM
My mate's VL300 has the original Vicmarc button/switch/bar and a magnetic remote set up made by Enzo at Vermec. He can use both as they are permanently set up. Give Enzo a call as I'm pretty sure he will help you as he's a great bloke. www.vermec.com (http://www.vermec.com)
Cheers

Tim the Timber Turner
13th December 2009, 10:11 PM
I extended the rheostat and the control box (this needed a special Fuji 2mt extension at a cost of $90). This also ment the digital readout is moved to where you can see it. I also duplicated the start stop circuits leaving the originals on the lathes.

Reverse is the black button, it is a seperate start circuit which means the lathe will only run in reverse if you hit this button with the lathe stopped.
Reverse is handy for power sanding, it takes the dust away from you and towards the DC. The seperate start button is much safer than a forward reverse switch. Vicmark lathes now have this as standard.

All the above is low voltage stuff.

The remote sits on the rail that runs along the back of the lathe. The rail also holds the DC hood and lights.

I can move the remote anywhere along the 1.5 mt bed or take it outboard on my shortbed, where it sits on a tripod.

Not hard to do, but I can only recomend that you get a sparky to do this. You have to tap into the stop and start circuits one of which is normally open and the other normally closed. If you don't understand this then you do need a sparky.

This is the first time I have attempted to post an image. was right it's not real hard:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:)

brendan stemp
15th December 2009, 07:47 AM
Vicmarc do make one which I have put on my VL300. The rrp is $188. Worth the expense I reckon.

gtwilkins
15th December 2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you everyone. I will get hold of Vicmarc and see if they will air mail one to me, maybe the dealer here can squeeze them a little. If not then I will just have to wait to do my big wizzers until it swims here.

I was out there again today and it is too scary having to walk through the firing line. I have a piece of birch on there 4" thick, 35" long between 15-20" wide it makes a really interesting noise as it goes by and I am very careful to keep my fingers behind the rest!

Trevor

RETIRED
15th December 2009, 01:24 PM
I was out there again today and it is too scary having to walk through the firing line. I have a piece of birch on there 4" thick, 35" long between 15-20" wide it makes a really interesting noise as it goes by and I am very careful to keep my fingers behind the rest!

TrevorBy the description of what you are turning, you could fly the lathe over and pick it up.:D

rsser
15th December 2009, 09:19 PM
Heard of birch whipping but that sounds close to birch whupping ;-}