PDA

View Full Version : Tough lathes.

Pages : [1] 2

tea lady
14th December 2009, 03:17 PM
I am have been the owner of a Tough lathe for whole 6 days now.:cool: Following the revelation that Issatree also has a tough lathe I wondered who else has one. OK! So own up.:D And how did you acquire it.

Any tips and tricks out there. Maybe we could even have some pics, of the lathe and/or the things you have made on it, and/or the attachments you have for it. :cool:

Phil Spencer
14th December 2009, 05:29 PM
I am have been the owner of a Tough lathe for whole 6 days now.:cool: Following the revelation that Issatree also has a tough lathe I wondered who else has one. OK! So own up.:D And how did you acquire it.

Any tips and tricks out there. Maybe we could even have some pics, of the lathe and/or the things you have made on it, and/or the attachments you have for it. :cool:
I have one brought it new about 20 years ago, fitted a variable speed drive, don't make them tike that any more great solid lathe:):D

Some pictures
Lathe in the background

Rocking chair

Some hall tables

Big Shed
14th December 2009, 06:07 PM
TL & Phil (or any other Tough lathe owner), could you tell me the spindle size/thread and the amount of tailstock travel on these lathes.

Being an older lathe (and because TL bought one of my 1"x8tpi chucks) I'm assuming it is 1"x8tpi. Do they have MT2 in the headstock spindle and the tailstock spindle?

Phil Spencer
14th December 2009, 06:22 PM
TL & Phil (or any other Tough lathe owner), could you tell me the spindle size/thread and the amount of tailstock travel on these lathes.

Being an older lathe (and because TL bought one of my 1"x8tpi chucks) I'm assuming it is 1"x8tpi. Do they have MT2 in the headstock spindle and the tailstock spindle?

1" 10 TPI, tail stock travel 70mm, swing over the bed at the gap 205 mm rad, No 2 MT both ends, bed length about 1M also 1"10 TPI LH thread outboard

Big Shed
14th December 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Phil, sounds good. What's the side to side movement like when you slide the tailstock back and forth on the bed?

Did you achieve the variable speed via a VFD and 3 phase motor?

Phil Spencer
14th December 2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Phil, sounds good. What's the side to side movement like when you slide the tailstock back and forth on the bed?
The tail stock slides true and smooth no side to side movement

Did you achieve the variable speed via a VFD and 3 phase motor?
Used a three phase motor connected 240 V delta and an inverter 240 V single phase in and 240V three phase out won't answer any more questions on the inverter as there are too many experts with conflicting and wrong opinions out there :(

Also have a face plate with a thread that is cut both LH and RH

tea lady
14th December 2009, 07:54 PM

The thread is 1"x 10. :doh: Got the opportunity to buy the lathe just AFTER I got the compact chuck. :C apparently has a "converter" on his compact chuck so ha can use it on his lathes. (The proper name has escaped me for the moment. ) Hopefully I can do something similar. :cool:

Would LOVE a variable speed motor. Maybe for next Xmas. :D

Phil Spencer
14th December 2009, 08:20 PM
Would LOVE a variable speed motor. Maybe for next Xmas. :D

Have a look at the CMG motor at Carrols it is about $800.00 and will fit the Tough without any modification Ie drilling out the pulleys if you can go for a 11/2HP you won't run out of torque.:)

GoGuppy
14th December 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Phil

We must think alike, see my separate thread posteed simultaneous with yours!!:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
14th December 2009, 08:54 PM
The Variable motor we have is a constant torque 1hp motor which is very hard to stop and comes with the standard B56 frame and 5/8" shaft.

To go to the larger motor you need to go to a metric frame and a larger shaft which starts to make it uneconimical to change.

uses one on one of his Nova lathes and there is quite a few on other Tough and woodfast lathes.

Have a look here (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-variable-speed-motor)

Phil Spencer
14th December 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Phil

We must think alike, see my separate thread posteed simultaneous with yours!!:2tsup:

Slightly different, I engineered my own system unlike the CMG thing I can reverse my lathe and have overload protection. If you look at the picture of my lathe you will see the inverter mounted on the wall with the remote controls above the head stock and an ABB 1.5Kw motor mounted underneath I can get a spindle speed of 10,000 RPM if I were silly enough.:oo:

Any how this is a Tough thread lets get back on topic :)

Sawdust Maker
14th December 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey TL
Where's your piccies.

GoGuppy
14th December 2009, 10:01 PM
Any how this is a Tough thread lets get back on topic :)

Phil
That's why I opened a new thread....
Cheers

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2009, 10:28 PM
Waldo has a Tough Lathe as well, pretty certain he inherited his from his father.

tea lady
14th December 2009, 10:44 PM
Hey TL
Where's your piccies.:C I'm getting there. At least I've turned something on it now. (Well, at lest made a square thing round. ) had left the pulleys on "" speed and done up the screw for the cover tight. I did rough it at that speed but finnaly got the scrrew undone and changed it to the more civilized 1750 RPM.:p

Waldo has a Tough Lathe as well, pretty certain he inherited his from his father.Is that three of us now? :D

$800 for a variable motor? :rolleyes: Might stay low tech for a while yet then. :doh:

BTW, it is so SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH! Nothing fell off the bench.:D I could hear the radio. :cool: No shaking and carrying on. Its so beautiful. :U

tea lady
14th December 2009, 10:45 PM
No That's 4. :D

artme
15th December 2009, 04:58 AM
My first turning was done on a Tough Lathe at high school. Does that count?:rolleyes:

I was going to buy one some years back but discovered that the deal was a bit sus. so I pulled out.

Used a Tough at the last school I taught at.

How many points is that???:q:q:q

BTW good solid lathes>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
15th December 2009, 06:20 AM
IIRC Quercus has one too.

Len Smith of The Woodsmith now owns the IP.

Waldo
15th December 2009, 09:20 AM
Waldo has a Tough Lathe as well, pretty certain he inherited his from his father.

Spot on Dj :2tsup: . Who inherited it from my Grandad.

Paul39
15th December 2009, 12:51 PM
I was curious about Tough Lathes and turned up a photo of Waldo's from years ago.

Looks like a sweet lathe. I don't think you would have to chase that around a shed while turning an unbalanced hunk of timber.

I'm sure all you Tough owners grin a lot while turning.

For those of you wanting variable speed, do some research on Constant Torque Variable Speed Drives using a surplus or junkyard 3 phase AC motor.

I bought a like new 1 HP 3 phase 120 volt motor for $14, and a 3 HP 3 phase 220 volt, new in crate for $22 at a junk yard. They sell them by the pound.

I bought a new 120 volt VFD for $140. I see them used & surplus for 220 & 440 volt much cheaper on ebay.

This forum has lots of info on VFDs:

"http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/transformers-phase-converters-and-11.html"

Ozkaban
15th December 2009, 01:03 PM
:C I'm getting there. At least I've turned something on it now. (Well, at lest made a square thing round. ) had left the pulleys on "" speed and done up the screw for the cover tight. I did rough it at that speed but finnaly got the scrrew undone and changed it to the more civilized 1750 RPM.

He he. I can just imagine :D

Nice sounding lathe... Do need pics though :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Waldo
15th December 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't think you would have to chase that around a shed while turning an unbalanced hunk of timber.

Could be a different story now with what sits in the shed and what also lies around on the floor. :U At least any wayward missiles bounce off the shed walls.

Texian
15th December 2009, 04:00 PM
Judging from Phil's picture it is a very stout lathe. Hope it will serve you well T.L.

tea lady
15th December 2009, 06:37 PM
IIRC Quercus has one too.

Len Smith of The Woodsmith now owns the IP.:? IP? :dunce:)

And quercus is 5.:cool: (and a half if we count Artme's encounters.:rolleyes: ) :D

Big Shed
15th December 2009, 06:48 PM
:? IP? :dunce:)

Intellectual Property

mick61
15th December 2009, 08:58 PM
My mates got one.
Mick:D

NeilS
15th December 2009, 10:00 PM
Got yourself a serious lathe there TL.... :2tsup:

tea lady
15th December 2009, 10:00 PM
Intellectual Property:hmm: What do you do with the intelectual property of a lathe? Make another one? :shrug:

tea lady
15th December 2009, 10:03 PM
My mates got one.
Mick:DOK! That counts as another 1/2.:D

Got yourself a serious lathe there TL.... :2tsup:

:cool: Will take some pics when I get a chance. Got to work tomorrow. (Its gonna be 40° :C )

rsser
16th December 2009, 12:24 PM
:hmm: What do you do with the intelectual property of a lathe? Make another one? :shrug:

It means you own the design or the license to use it.

quercus
18th December 2009, 05:38 PM
I first learnt woodturning at school on Tough Lathes. My parents couldnt afford to buy me one, so I shelved the ambition to own one for 20 odd years. I then came accross 3 ex Tech School ones for sale at an auction, with 3 phase and in various states of disrepair. I had to buy them all as a job lot
I sold one to a gentleman on these forums whose name escapes me. He was going to rebuild it. It would be great if he could post some photos
The other I gave to a friend who built me a handrail for my staircase in return.
The one I kept, I put a single phase motor in, and bought a chuck for. rsser has been kind enough to give me a few tips on bowl turning.

Here are a couple of photos of it in it's original tatty state, chipped paint and all. I would like to find the time to use it more, let alone rebuild it. The shaft has a small 5 thou wobble, which would be nice to fix. Other than that it is a nice, basic Australian made machine.

Phil Spencer
18th December 2009, 07:03 PM
I first learnt woodturning at school on Tough Lathes. My parents couldnt afford to buy me one, so I shelved the ambition to own one for 20 odd years. I then came accross 3 ex Tech School ones for sale at an auction, with 3 phase and in various states of disrepair. I had to buy them all as a job lot
I sold one to a gentleman on these forums whose name escapes me. He was going to rebuild it. It would be great if he could post some photos
The other I gave to a friend who built me a handrail for my staircase in return.
The one I kept, I put a single phase motor in, and bought a chuck for. rsser has been kind enough to give me a few tips on bowl turning.

Here are a couple of photos of it in it's original tatty state, chipped paint and all. I would like to find the time to use it more, let alone rebuild it. The shaft has a small 5 thou wobble, which would be nice to fix. Other than that it is a nice, basic Australian made machine.

If you look at te thread in the face plate I bet it is a LH/RH one like mine.

tea lady
18th December 2009, 11:55 PM
Where are these numbers Issatree talks about? I can't see any numbers except RPMs. :hmm:

issatree
19th December 2009, 03:23 AM
Hi TL & all Tough Owners,
If you look at the end of the Tough, there is the last Webb, that braces the Rails or it does on mine, & the Lathe No. is there.
1750 rpm. is a no speed for me, & as I mainly turn small stuff 4 - 6in./ 100 - 150mm. rarely no bigger than that.

My Lathe mainly sits on 3000rpm. Turn & Sand on that as well.

I do not use 50mm bowl jaws, but 35 - 45 spigot jaws mainly, but also Pinocchio Jaws for the real small stuff, & a set of 100mm. as well . I have 3 Black Nova Chucks.
I've stated before, I have a SEW EURO DRIVE for my Variable Speed, that can take a 2HP Motor, but I have 1HP.
$419 for the drive, $5 for a delta? motor 3 PH., $10 for the Pot, & a Slab for my Electrician to wire it all up.
Yes you can stall it, which I like it case My Clothes get caught, but that's me.

I think I put this down before.
Bought my "Tough Lathe" from the Woodsmith in Ivanhoe, March 1990, for $1010.

Made a new steel stand, using 5 x 3in. C steel for my Rails, the Shavings fall through to the floor. That's my bit for now.
Regards,
issatree.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sawdust Maker
19th December 2009, 08:14 AM
TL
No piccies - doesn't exist :U

Phil Spencer
19th December 2009, 08:37 AM
Hi TL & all Tough Owners,
If you look at the end of the Tough, there is the last Webb, that braces the Rails or it does on mine, & the Lathe No. is there.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Mine is No 1633 purchased about the same time as issatree at the Woodsmith in Ivanhoe, my VSD is rated for 2HP and I put a 1.5HP motor on it I fitted a new motor step motor pulley and wired in my own remotes(Pot on/off and reverse) I set the belt to the middle speed range on the pulley and have never changed it at this range I have found that I can do everything I need. Being able to reverse the lathe is handy when sanding, overall the Tough hums along no vibration, IMHO the only lathe on the market that is better is the Omega Stubby lathe.

Big Shed
19th December 2009, 09:29 AM
I was at the Woodsmith yesterday, first visit what a wonderful place for turners. Inspected a Tough lathe that Les had in the demo room, very nice piece of machinery.

Asked him how much one would set me back, told me around the $1500-1600 mark, second hand, so not a cheap lathe.

Phil Spencer
19th December 2009, 10:13 AM
I was at the Woodsmith yesterday, first visit what a wonderful place for turners. Inspected a Tough lathe that Les had in the demo room, very nice piece of machinery.

Asked him how much one would set me back, told me around the $1500-1600 mark, second hand, so not a cheap lathe.

Are they still at the same place in Croydon?

Big Shed
19th December 2009, 10:30 AM
Are they still at the same place in Croydon?

Don't know whether it is the same place as this was my first visit, but they are at Unit 1 35 Lusher Rd Croydon

Phil Spencer
19th December 2009, 03:49 PM
Don't know whether it is the same place as this was my first visit, but they are at Unit 1 35 Lusher Rd Croydon

Yep that's it

tea lady
19th December 2009, 06:32 PM
Mine seems to be a rounder shape than you guys. :shrug: Must means it goes faster.:D (I still can't find any numbers. ) It use to be blue, and red, and now it is silver. I am contemplating a purple make over. :p

I am also the tool rest queen. I have 12. And a steady rest. And 2 banjos.:cool: Anyone wanna buy a tool rest? :D

What's this one for? :think:

Ozkaban
19th December 2009, 07:40 PM
Love it TL.

Where does one buy a Tough Lathe from these days? I asusme they're not made any more.

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
19th December 2009, 07:49 PM
They show up from time to time in 2nd hand machinery places Dave.

Ozkaban
19th December 2009, 08:07 PM
They show up from time to time in 2nd hand machinery places Dave.

Seems like I need to spend more time in those places - they doo look like a nice old solid unit.

Cheers,
Dave

Phil Spencer
19th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Love it TL.

Where does one buy a Tough Lathe from these days? I asusme they're not made any more.

Cheers,
Dave
Try the Woodsmith HERE (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/index.html) he owns the rights to the lathe.

DJ’s Timber
20th December 2009, 09:51 AM

Looks like it was use for scraper :dunno:

But my first thought was a hollowing tool rest

tea lady
20th December 2009, 09:53 AM
Looks like it was use for scraper :dunno:

But my first thought was a hollowing tool restYeah Maybe! Its set to the bars are horazontal. :hmm: S'pose to be vertical aren't they? :?

NeilS
20th December 2009, 11:18 AM

A hollowing tool gate, used on a second toolrest saddle.

Nice looking lathe.... lots of lovely cast iron there!

NeilS
20th December 2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah Maybe! Its set to the bars are horazontal. :hmm: S'pose to be vertical aren't they? :?

See top pic here (http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/hollowing-tools.html)

tea lady
20th December 2009, 11:30 AM
See top pic here (http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/hollowing-tools.html)

.....:think: Oh right. Mines not that long. :shrug: But I've got two bangos.:cool::D

NeilS
20th December 2009, 11:50 AM
:think: Oh right. Mines not that long. :shrug: But I've got two bangos.:cool::D

Doesn't need to be so wide if the two banjos are used closer together, ie the gate is positioned mid shaft. Expect yours was used with a square shaft tool so it would not rotate in gate while hollowing with articulated end for undercutting shoulder of hollow forms.

Worth a play with if you already have the tool to go with it, but a bit of a contraption IMHO.

tea lady
20th December 2009, 12:30 PM
Worth a play with if you already have the tool to go with it, but a bit of a contraption IMHO.

.....No I don't have a tool that would be used with it. :shrug: Looks a bit contraption like to me too. :D

artme
20th December 2009, 07:55 PM
:think: Oh right. Mines not that long. :shrug: But I've got two bangos.:cool::D

They could have a duel.:D:D:D:p:p

RETIRED
20th December 2009, 10:03 PM
HNMMMM, she lives in the hills too.............................:rolleyes:

China
20th December 2009, 10:09 PM
Looks like part of the outboard turning attachment

tea lady
20th December 2009, 10:16 PM
HNMMMM, she lives in the hills too.............................:rolleyes::hmm: I thought it was a swamp you had to worry about. And I haven't got the MOST bangos.:p

artme
20th December 2009, 10:34 PM
:hmm: I thought it was a swamp you had to worry about. And I haven't got the MOST bangos.:p

You live inthe hills and you've got two. You qualify!!!:D:D:D

Ed Reiss
21st December 2009, 01:13 PM
right...dueling banjos, definitely the hills :D:D

RETIRED
21st December 2009, 04:40 PM
:hmm: I thought it was a swamp you had to worry about. And I haven't got the MOST bangos.:pYou referring to my Octet of banjos? Hmm wonder what 9 banjos would be like......................

rsser
21st December 2009, 04:47 PM
Hard to get into tune ;-}

tea lady
21st December 2009, 04:54 PM
Hard to get into tune ;-}But how could you tell.

We could just be thankful that they aren't bag pipes.:p

Anyway, about tough lathes..........:rolleyes::D

rsser
21st December 2009, 05:14 PM
:laughing1:

Yep, back on topic.

You're better off using compact fluoros.

Harry72
22nd December 2009, 12:39 PM
Back on topic... Here we go Anna-Maria:2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124803&stc=1&d=1261445914

Ozkaban
22nd December 2009, 12:40 PM
Now, THAT is art :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
22nd December 2009, 01:31 PM
what a purty purple !!!:D

Phil Spencer
22nd December 2009, 02:30 PM
Never seen a purple one before or pink for that matter:oo: I bet if you took the face plate holding the hand wheel off it would screw onto the front also mine does.

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 08:32 PM
Never seen a purple one before or pink for that matter:oo: I bet if you took the face plate holding the hand wheel off it would screw onto the front also mine does.Prolly would, but I also got a bazillion face plates too.:cool: Just no scroll chuck.:C Got an adapter on the compact chuck, but its not running true.:doh: But its still truer that the old lathe.:D

NeilS
22nd December 2009, 09:55 PM
Got an adapter on the compact chuck, but its not running true.:doh:

You probably know about the insert wobble problem:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/chucks-running-true-85694/

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/problems-my-nova-chuck-65234/

Check if it runs true on a lathe that is known to run true. If it does run true on that lathe, ti's not an insert problem.

A spacer would be the next step in case the length of the thread on the Tough is too long for the insert to sit hard up against the shoulder of the headstock shaft.

Failing that I'm out of suggestions.

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 10:09 PM
The compact has a dedicated thread.

My guess is that the adapter may not be seating on the spindle properly.

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 10:11 PM
The compact has a dedicated thread.

My guess is that the adapter may not be seating on the spindle properly.
Must admit I haven't had a proper fiddle yet. :C

tea lady
10th January 2010, 12:34 PM
I got a PM wanting some more detailed pics of a though lathe. I thought I'd put 'em here so everyone can see. (Cos your all interested aren't you? ) :cool: And see! It is not really purple.:p I think it use to be red though. And the previous owner painted it silver.:cool: (:think: does hammer finish come in pink? )

Ozkaban
10th January 2010, 01:21 PM
(:think: does hammer finish come in pink? )

Nice Lathe :2tsup:

Hammertone comes in deep red and a whitish silver... Gotta come close to pink, right :2tsup:

rsser
10th January 2010, 01:31 PM
heheh ...

If you go Hammertone, get the paint, not the spray which works poorly on vert surfaces.

With the paint, just brush it on thickly and don't try to brush it out.

tea lady
10th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Nice Lathe :2tsup:

Hammertone comes in deep red and a whitish silver... Gotta come close to pink, right :2tsup:

heheh ...

If you go Hammertone, get the paint, not the spray which works poorly on vert surfaces.

With the paint, just brush it on thickly and don't try to brush it out.

:D Cool! Now all I need is a roundtoit! :cl:

Sawdust Maker
10th January 2010, 08:06 PM
TL
sorry I haven't tuned into this thread for a little while
I've seen the piccies and now agree it exists :2tsup: I vote on the purple - looks delish

Nice looking lathe
re the hollowing tool rest you might want to talk to Hughie about one of his big bedans - I think we christened it the ripsnorter

Thanks also for the last set of piccies - No4 has given me an idea to hold my vast collection of rests (3 in total :p)

I gather that you are very happy on a number of fronts about having this lathe
may you have many happy hours on it poking bits of steel at revolving bits of wood :wink:

issatree
10th January 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi TL,
I'm not sure if you counted mine + the one I have FOR SALE $ 950 ALL UP IN VIC.
Regards,
issatree.

tea lady
11th January 2010, 01:17 PM
TL
sorry I haven't tuned into this thread for a little while
I've seen the piccies and now agree it exists :2tsup: I vote on the purple - looks delish:doh: Its NOT purple.:p

Nice looking lathe
re the hollowing tool rest you might want to talk to Hughie about one of his big bedans - I think we christened it the ripsnorter :no: Too big for me. I might stick to nice small tools.:C

Thanks also for the last set of piccies - No4 has given me an idea to hold my vast collection of rests (3 in total :p):cool: The bench came like that. Cool isn't it. I'mm gonna stick a dust port in the wall too.:cool:

I gather that you are very happy on a number of fronts about having this lathe
may you have many happy hours on it poking bits of steel at revolving bits of wood :wink: :2tsup: Yep Really happy. :wave:

tea lady
11th January 2010, 01:32 PM
Hi TL,
I'm not sure if you counted mine + the one I have FOR SALE $ 950 ALL UP IN VIC.
Regards,
issatree.

That one is cheaper than what I paid. :C So I try not to think about it. But mine is very well trained by the previous owner. :cool: (If you want to sell the chuck by itself I'd very VERY interested.:D )

So ho wnmany do we have?

Tea lady
Issatree
Waldo
Phil spencer
Quercus
Mick61's mate
Who ever buys the one in Geelong.

That's only 7. Surely there is more than that out there.

:think: I know there in one at the Knox Woodworkers. :cool: That makes 8!

P1w2
4th September 2012, 03:50 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have just inherited a "Tough" lathe from my grandfather who has moved workshop (House). I came across this forum while researching information for an appropriate of stand.

A Duke
4th September 2012, 04:18 PM
Does not seem that long since I was reading all that, how time flies.
Regards

rsser
4th September 2012, 04:44 PM
Flies more in one direction than another dammit ;-)

Christos
4th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the forum P1w2. I might suggest that you start another thread with specific question on the lathe that you aquired.

tea lady
4th September 2012, 06:50 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have just inherited a "Tough" lathe from my grandfather who has moved workshop (House). I came across this forum while researching information for an appropriate of stand.MIne stands on an old desk. Drawn full of chucks and stuff. :cool: Seems just the right height.

Rod Gilbert
4th September 2012, 07:48 PM
I bought one of ebay about a month ago from Brisbane. I paid $ 325.00 for the lathe on metal cabinets 4 speed belt drive #2 morse taper both ends with a tough steady, 2 x tool rests, 2 x 200mm dia face plates one left hand thread one left and right thread, 1 x 100mm face plate with removable screw centre and about 14 chisels. The lathe is in very good condition and runs very sweet. 1"x 10 inboard and outboard shaft threads. I am very happy to have come across this bargin I have been looking for a lathe for a while I havent had one for a few years we have been traveling in the van and only able to use equiptment at various clubs I have joined on our travels whenever we stopped in an aera for a while.:U
Regards Rod.

issatree
4th September 2012, 08:33 PM
Hi All,
Very good for the Heart Strings to see " The Tough " making Headlines again.

Having read through them all again, I found that I had left a small Tip out.
If you look at the Photos on Page 5, Thread No. 71, 2nd. Photo of the Pulleys, up to the right, you will see a Knurled Wheel, which is the Indexing Head Pin.
Well mine Broke Off. So I removed it, squared it on the Grinder & bored a new hole, about 3/16ths. enough to take part of a Cement Nail, & forced it in.
While it was out, I rebored the 12 Holes by Hand, in the Largest Pulley, put it all back, & Bingo.
When I'm using any of my Older Black Nova Chucks, I can now Lock the Head, & with 1 Hand hold the Wood, & with the other I can Tighten the Wood in the Chuck with MY 1 Tommy Bar, as I cut up a Stanley Screwdriver that fits the Holes in the Chuck, & I can really lay into the Tightness.
Well it works for me, have never had a problem for 10+ years.
By the way, I still know of an Older " Tough Lathe " For Sale. Ask Me.

old pete
5th September 2012, 05:58 PM
Hi Tea Lady,

For the record I have two Tough lathes. One is the same model as indicated in Phil's image and the other is the previous model which is a bit lighter. I've run both semi commercially for about 25 years and changed the headstock bearings in both just once in that time. I converted both to heavier Woodfast rests and tool rest holders many years ago. I have also converted one to variable speed with a Carrolls 1HP motor about 5 years ago. The day I did that I set the pulleys to the second fastest speed and I haven't changed them since that day. I've turned stacks of Newell posts (in two or three sections) using the Carrolls motor. There's plenty of power and torque there for anything you could reasonably want to turn in the spindle line. The motor will and frequently does run continuously all day, with a lunch break, with no sign of overheating.

There is close to zero transverse movement between the tail stock guides and the ground ways in the lathe bed in both my lathes {and that's the way it needs to be}

Doubtless there are better spindle lathes about and I have used most of them including the Stubby and the Tanner and the larger Vicmarcs from place to place. I don't think I'd turn off a better product with them than I can with my Tough's so I have never seen any need to spend more money on something that may be perceived to be better ( I guess I might just make an exception for the Wadkin pattern makers lathe:))

BTW I also have a Tough chain mortiser in excellent condition that I use occasionally if I have a proper exterior door to make.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

Cheers Old Pete

jonward
21st September 2012, 12:46 PM
Hi all you Tough owners

Totally new to this game but hope to pick up turning skills asap. Bought a mates Tough lathe with many bits and pieces he never used, including a copying frame? and some sort of NZ bowl saving gouge system. Other things include 20 odd tools and a number of spindles and face plates and a NZ chuck with adjustable teeth. Paid a grand for the lot, good value?
Anyhow I hope to get turning as soon as my gammey leg comes right.

Aim to buy a new band saw asap, if I can't get second hand one, is the Carbatec smallest one suitable? (about $350)

Just joined the Forum today so there is a lot to read and catch up on

Cheers

Jon

rsser
21st September 2012, 01:01 PM
Welcome Jon.

Sell your Grandma to get a decent bandsaw if faceplate turning looks to be your thing. 150mm depth of cut is the absolute min. Aim for 200mm or more. Cry once.

Oh, and sell Grandpa for a decent chainsaw ;-)

jonward
21st September 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi rsser

Put grandma on ebay with "best offer" but not holding my breath. May need to put wife on as well

Will look at 14" 2 speed carbatec

Thanks for advice

Jon

rsser
21st September 2012, 02:35 PM
I'd make you an offer for both but already have some stacked in the shed.

See the bandsaw sub-forum here for experience with that unit.

Good luck with your venture into turning. It's addictive you should be warned!

old pete
21st September 2012, 02:39 PM
HI Jon,

That sounds like a fair price you have paid particularly if the lathe is the heavy model and the tools are good quality HSS. A set of 20 HSS tools (and I can't imagine why anyone would want so many chisels) would cost well over $1000 even if supplied unhandled. Happy turning.

Old Pete

issatree
22nd September 2012, 06:13 AM
Hi Jon,
Does your " Tough " have the Camlocks.
Is your Chuck, a Black 4 Jaw Teknatool Nova & you have to use 2 tommy bars.
Buy the Biggest Bandsaw your Pocket can afford, you wont regret it.
Your Lathe Spindle Thread should be 1in. 10TPI.( Threads per Inch ).
1 of your Red Face Plates, will have a Left & Right Hand Thread, & you have to be fairly careful not to cross thread it, as it is Cast Iron.
Does it sit on a Wooden or Steel Bench or Rails.
As for your Leg, it maybe an Idea to make a Duk Board to stand on. Put the Slats approx. 20mm. or ¾ in. apart, so the Shavings fall through to the Floor. This is much better than Carpet or a Rubber Mat.
This will affect the Height of your Lathe, as when Standing on your D/Board, the Centre of Your Lathe should be approx. 1in. above Your Elbow. So you may have to lift the Lathe a Bit.
Jon that is my 2sense worth.
Forgot to say, I have a Variable Speed " Tough ". Had it since 1990. Great Lathe.

jonward
23rd September 2012, 01:22 PM
Hi issatree

The chuck is as you described, not sure what camlocks are so I don't know if I've got them
I'm looking at a carbatec 14" 2 speed saw, that's about the max I can afford, made an offer to a guy in Launceston in the market forum for one but haven't heard back

Will check out the faceplate, there seems an awful lot to learn

good suggestion re duckboard may need to try it if leg takes a while

I've been assured Tough lathes are OK, mine sits on heavy gauge steel legs now bolted to the concrete floor and is very sturdy

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,
Does your " Tough " have the Camlocks.
Is your Chuck, a Black 4 Jaw Teknatool Nova & you have to use 2 tommy bars.
Buy the Biggest Bandsaw your Pocket can afford, you wont regret it.
Your Lathe Spindle Thread should be 1in. 10TPI.( Threads per Inch ).
1 of your Red Face Plates, will have a Left & Right Hand Thread, & you have to be fairly careful not to cross thread it, as it is Cast Iron.
Does it sit on a Wooden or Steel Bench or Rails.
As for your Leg, it maybe an Idea to make a Duk Board to stand on. Put the Slats approx. 20mm. or ¾ in. apart, so the Shavings fall through to the Floor. This is much better than Carpet or a Rubber Mat.
This will affect the Height of your Lathe, as when Standing on your D/Board, the Centre of Your Lathe should be approx. 1in. above Your Elbow. So you may have to lift the Lathe a Bit.
Jon that is my 2sense worth.
Forgot to say, I have a Variable Speed " Tough ". Had it since 1990. Great Lathe.

issatree
23rd September 2012, 08:12 PM
Hi Jon,
You have either an early made " Tough " or a later one. the later one has a Handle in front of the Banjo that holds the Tool Rest, & you work the Handle to a position, that it can go no further, & that Locks the Piece into the Position that you required.
The Same Applies to the Tailstock, but it is on the far side of the T/Sock.
The Older Version has the Bolt & Nut Job, that you have to have a Spanner to Alter the Position of the each Piece.
So if it is the B/N Type, find a Spanner that fits, tie some Cord to it & just let it hang, then you don't have to go looking for it.
Either of these Pieces will slip off the end, & will most likely need a clean.
If they are th C/L Type, do not put any Oil on the C/L underneath. It will not work if you do that.
Yes, there is a lot to learn, & do not be afraid to ask.

MrFez
2nd October 2012, 01:53 PM
Hi All

Been wandering through this thread and decided to add my 2 bob's worth.

I am the proud owner of Tough Lathe # 1630. I purchased it a few months ago, fully refurbished from the Woodsmith. Although I've only done a few small projects to date I am very happy with it.

You will see from the picture that the head and tail stock have 'risers' fitted, I guess the previous owner was a tall chap. This puts the center about 3 inches above my elbow, which isn't too bad and I don't feel it's too high for me at the moment. However I'm considering making a duck board as I suspect removing the risers will be more trouble than its worth.

Cheers

David

RETIRED
2nd October 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi All

I am the proud owner of Tough Lathe # 1630. I purchased it a few months ago, fully refurbished from the Woodsmith. Although I've only done a few small projects to date I am very happy with it.

You will see from the picture that the head and tail stock have 'risers' fitted, I guess the previous owner was a tall chap. This puts the center about 3 inches above my elbow, which isn't too bad and I don't feel it's too high for me at the moment. However I'm considering making a duck board as I suspect removing the risers will be more trouble than its worth.

Cheers

DavidThe risers were added to increase centre height.

This was quite common on lathes that had a bolted headstock and tail stock.

rsser
2nd October 2012, 02:03 PM
Good looking unit David.

The risers obviously provide more swing which is all to the good. And if the extra centre height is not constraining your turning then no need to sweat. Though raising your standing platform might reveal something new.

If it's 3" above your elbow (1) how are you measuring this?, and (2) for those who do a lot of deep hollowing, having a centre above std height will be more comfortable.

Re 1., there are various takes on this. What works for some is to put your turning hand lightly curved over the opposite shoulder with arm dropped, and measure the elbow to floor distance then.

HTH

old pete
2nd October 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi David,

Those risers would have been added to increase the swing over bed of the lathe not for the purpose of adjusting the bed level to suit a tall owner. There's a few ramifications that will arise from removing them. The first is that the banjo that holds the tool rests will probably have to be remade back to its original format as will the length of the stem on the tool rests themselves. There may be further ramifications if you want to use accessories such as steady centers. These come in a variety of fixed center heights and may not necessarily suit the height to which your center height has been lifted.....needs checking.

The modification looks very professional. It's no small job to do that with the accuracy necessary to keep the head and tail stock aligned at the level of precision required and also strong enough not to introduce vibration.

All things being equal re steady center height I think I'd be keeping it the way it is and raising my standing position to suit. If you end up building a duck board as it is described then I'd be building little ramps on both ends and the outside face that slope down from duck board height to zero over say 200mm to make it a lot safer to work around.

You have got a great machine there.....entirely suitable for a large range of professional work specially if you fit a VSD to complete the picture.

Cheers Old Pete

Hi All

Cheers

David

NeilS
2nd October 2012, 02:45 PM
I imagine there are a few Tough owners out there that will be envious of those riser blocks. Don't listen to any of them who would like to help you out by taking them off your hands...:D

rsser
2nd October 2012, 02:54 PM
AFAIK The Woodsmith bought the IP on Toughs so they should know what they're doing. It's good to see an oldie but goodie get a makeover.

The old design was fine as far as I could see for spindle turners. But many turners now want decent faceplate capacity as well.

So the risers help with that. The power?

A new motor and control system may be needed but suck it and see.

Time is not an issue with some turners. It is with others.