PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat ,old chainsaw.

Woodlee
14th December 2009, 11:36 PM
I was in Darwin on the weekend and went to a local market at Parap.
First time I have ever seen a tool stall there .
Anyway I picked this little gem up for $20.00 bucks .
I reckon this would be as rare as chicken lips and
worth a big quid as a collectors piece .
Any one ever seen one like it or know anything about them?

Kev.

Zed
15th December 2009, 12:33 PM
u sure its not a joke tool? seems a rather inefficient mechanism for cutting timber. the force required to turn the handle and press down on the blade for a bite would not make the tool condusive to long term use I would think. also the leverage you would need to exert on the handle to press the bar down into the timber would make it very uncomfortable.

but hey, what do I know - it may be real...

Ironwood
15th December 2009, 12:46 PM
Good score :2tsup:.

If you put a bigger bar on it, should be good for slabbing, and she'll run on the smell of an oily rag :D:D

joe greiner
15th December 2009, 11:47 PM
It seems like a lot of work to manufacture a joke. And a hand-fired chain saw seems pointless too.

Possibly (and really stretching the imagination), a hand saw with relocatable teeth to reduce need for sharpening.

Good score, no matter what. And you can always fib about its operation.

Any manufacturer's mark? Patent number?

Cheers,
Joe

Cliff Rogers
16th December 2009, 08:50 AM
Looks like a home made joke to me. :D

Wongdai
16th December 2009, 03:38 PM
Someone's having a lend I reckon, and its not even April 1. :)

Stringy
16th December 2009, 04:08 PM
looks like one of those new "SAFETY" chainsaws with the extensive guarding removed for the picture!!!

Woodlee
17th December 2009, 11:20 PM
Someone's having a lend I reckon, and its not even April 1. :)

Yeah , well I though I would engage in a bit of fishing and see how many bites I got .

Kev.

joe greiner
18th December 2009, 12:33 AM
One bait, six fish. Not bad. Not bad at all.:D

Cheers,
Joe

gerhard
18th December 2009, 08:52 PM
Haha, i think it's marvellous. The guy who made this by hand, from parts of a broken petrol saw and a wooden homemade grip, must have had high hopes to go trough all the trouble. But at every crank turn two or three chain teeth pass through the wood, as opposed to fifty or more teeth during a push with a conventional saw, which is far more efficient. He could have predicted that.

I wonder what would give away the clue first, the tiny sprocket wheel beneath the crank and the crank's mysterious bearing suspension; or the scroll in the grip, seemingly made with a modern router?

gerhard

gerhard
18th December 2009, 09:14 PM
Before you start to think i'm the seventh fish, i'd like to present to you the "osteotome", the first apparatus with the chain saw principle, invented in 1830 by the German surgeon Bernard Heine from Würzburg. He invented this saw to minimalise surrounding tissue damage while sawing off bits of bone. This damage would occur while moving an ordinary saw back and forth. The saw itself can remain in a static postition and needs only to be pushed downwards, since the teeth move by themselves. This is handy for tight spaces, like in rib cages that need to be opened to get near the heart, without damaging the lungs.

So, if the prankster with the "first antique handcranked chain saw" would have used a far larger sprocket wheel to increase efficiency, he could have made himself an invention of a saw for crammed corners with minimal damage of the surroundings. This thing could then also act like a plunge circular saw or a electric jig saw, both of which are able to start a cut in the middle of the material instead of somewhere around an edge.

cheers

gerhard

ozhunter
18th December 2009, 10:27 PM
My Dad has a similar thing that he totes out whenever unsuspecting guests arrive. It's a little simpler, it's a piece of 3/8 chain fitted to an old hacksaw.

Reminds me of a similar thing I saw somewhere that utilised an old brace, a corkscrew and dog muzzle to make a dog or cat carrier :D

Looks a bit like this

http://images.google.com.au/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cat-carrier-joke-tabby-tote-domestic-animals-humor-pic.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFuoUo_eE6NjchHcHyaTZhCHE6j5A

gerhard
19th December 2009, 05:46 AM
Hahahaha! Brilliant!!!

Cliff Rogers
19th December 2009, 01:33 PM
Reminds me of a similar thing I saw somewhere that utilised an old brace, a corkscrew and dog muzzle to make a dog or cat carrier :D....
There is one hanging in the bar at the Garadunga Hotel.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124563&stc=1&d=1261189994

new_guy90
22nd December 2009, 08:41 PM
looks cool and i wouldnt have put it past some inventor 100 years ago to have made one or even marketed it. in a book i saw cant remember what one it had lots and lots of old catalogs and stuff from domestic products to an auto log saw that ran very much like a power hacksaw so you never know there have been some very funny tools made

thanks for showing ill show that to my grandfather he will get a kick out of that one :2tsup: