PDA

View Full Version : what to buy for sharpening lathe cutting tools

eddykinn
15th December 2009, 07:36 AM
New man here so please excuse this duffer's questions.
Just bought a wood lathe and need some help on getting the correct or a good system
of sharpening lathe wood cutting tools.
So many options out there that it is confusing to me.
I am an older man so need to be considering my budget too.
Thanks for any and all comments and help. :C

jefferson
15th December 2009, 09:26 AM
So what systems have you looked at and what's the budget? Some of the systems here may not be available over your way too.....

Ed Reiss
15th December 2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Eddykin...welcome to the forum:U

One of the best selling sharpening systems in use is the Wolverine system. The reason for that is simply because you get repeatable results with it. All heavy duty components and good after-service...especially if you order from Craft Supplies USA.

Like everyone just starting out there is a certain amount of confusion...an excellent way to cut through whats crap and whats not is to good to join a turners club. Usually there is a good mix of novice and experienced at the meetings and a lot can be learned by attending.

Good luck.

joe greiner
16th December 2009, 12:03 AM
What they said. But don't give up on free-hand sharpening, although you might develop some bad habits.

There's an AAW chapter in Elmira, serving Eugene, Springfield, Roseburg & Lebanon: Beaver State Woodturners (http://www.beaverstatewoodturners.com)

Cheers,
Joe

artme
16th December 2009, 12:33 AM
Wolverine, Woodcut, Nova and Sorby are all pretty much the same tool and all seem to do a darn good job.

eddykinn
16th December 2009, 05:08 AM
thank you for replying to my enquiry.
and I will contact the Beaver State Woodturners.
I appreciate your help. ed

eddykinn
16th December 2009, 05:14 AM
I meant to say thanks to all for your help. ed