PDA

View Full Version : proforme

hughie
15th December 2009, 01:36 PM
Pro-Forme Flexi Hollower & Twin Collet Handle (http://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=99)

Some changes to the Pro-forme

WOODbTURNER
15th December 2009, 03:17 PM
Has anyone out there used one? I wonder how they compare with it's big sibling and the Munro tools
The sanding head would be very handy in tight places.

TTIT
15th December 2009, 04:13 PM
I've been eyeing it off since they released it but I want to see it beside the old Proforme head to see if there's any real difference in size :? I already have my Proforme on an articulated shaft so the new one is really only any good to me if it's considerably smaller :shrug:

rsser
15th December 2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah. The Proforme Flexi uses a smaller shaft IIRC. Can't comment on the head size.

Jim should be able to advise.

Jim Carroll
15th December 2009, 05:15 PM
Vern the Pro Forme Flexi head is marginally smaller then the proforme,

If you look at the proforme head you will see it is a bit smaller than the bar stock of 16mm

On the flexi the head is the same size as the bar 13mm

With the flexi you are able to articulate the head where the proformes are rigid bars.

The flexi is made for your smaller hollow forms.

The munro has a tighter articulation than the flexi as it has a smaller head and arms.

They both work differently in that the shavings are forced up through the guard on the mini rolly where the flexi works like the pro form in that they feed directly out the bottom of the cutter.

I use both and find them both comfortable and each has their own place, also depends on the mood I am in when I start.

rsser
15th December 2009, 08:57 PM
A vid here (http://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:pro-forme-flexi-hollower&catid=25:the-project&Itemid=99) using demonstrator wood ;-}

thefixer
15th December 2009, 09:29 PM
A vid here (http://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:pro-forme-flexi-hollower&catid=25:the-project&Itemid=99) using demonstrator wood ;-}

Yeah, that stuff is so green that in the first part of the video you can see that the timber has gone way out of round from when the outside was formed.

TTIT
15th December 2009, 11:13 PM
Vern the Pro Forme Flexi head is marginally smaller then the proforme,
If you look at the proforme head you will see it is a bit smaller than the bar stock of 16mm
On the flexi the head is the same size as the bar 13mm
I use both and find them both comfortable and each has their own place, also depends on the mood I am in when I start.Have you got one in stock Jim???? I might try and drop down from Ballarat and have a sticky - hmmm :think: - haven't bought my xrissy present yet :B

hughie
15th December 2009, 11:48 PM
Good vid Ern, although a couple of mm on the diameter or some much stiffer steel. It seemed to have some vibration on the small amount of over hang he was using.

Jim Carroll
16th December 2009, 07:56 AM
Yes we have stock.

Hughie it would defeat the purpose of having larger bar stock as the main idea is to be able to get into a smaller opening., well that is part of the challange sometimes those openings become a bit bigger :rolleyes:

I tend to hold the tool in my hand and support with my arm and body to eliminate any unwanted movement and vibration.