PDA

View Full Version : How Often do you clean your shed?

Grunt
22nd August 2004, 10:32 PM
I was cleaning my shed today and was disappointed that none of you lot were over helping me. I figured you must be cleaning you own or something.

AlexS
22nd August 2004, 10:46 PM
Whenever it needs it...and that, by definition, is when there is no longer a bit of vacant flat surface to put something on. Then I put everything away, clean high and low, and start again. Usually, about 10 minutes into the next job, I trip over the vacuum cleaner that i forgot to put away.

Barry_White
22nd August 2004, 10:48 PM
I voted for as often as it needs it but really I clean up after each project and put all the tools away that I have scattered all over the shed as I need them.

The only problem with that is, because I've got tools every where I sometimes have to spend ages looking for one that I have forgotten where I put it down.

E. maculata
22nd August 2004, 10:53 PM
Bit of a cross between Barry & Alex, only when there is no room left, when the piles of "stuff" are tetering and I can't find that thing I only just put down.

Driver
22nd August 2004, 11:00 PM
:eek: Clean? :eek: The shed? :eek:

Robert WA
22nd August 2004, 11:04 PM
Please define "clean".

If there is enough uncluttered space to do the job at hand, then the shed is clean.

Rob.

bitingmidge
22nd August 2004, 11:45 PM
My "shed" is always immaculately clean. I have a nice glossy epoxy floor and white painted walls, with half built laminated cupboards.

No one can actually tell how clean it is, cause it's impossibly bloody untidy. There is not one square millimetre of horizontal space that isn't holding something till I can build/design/finish building something to put it in.

As soon as a space develops, I start a new project which won't be able to be finished because I'll need some half finished project as a jig or bench or something.

I'm in don't finish things hell!!

The only good thing about all of that is that no-one can actually tell how many unfinished projects I have, cause they are buried under each other, and therefore it is impossible for the shed itself to get dirty.

I don't think we'll ever have a "clean up", maybe an archaelogical dig.

Cheers,

P :D :D :D

journeyman Mick
23rd August 2004, 12:35 AM
I voted "as often as it needs", I would have liked to have voted "a place for everything and everything in its place" but unfortunately I've run out of space. Also as the shed layout and usage is still evolving things are still getting moved around. Until I get the extension(s) done I won't really be completely organised (and by then, no doubt I'll have bought more machinery and still be short of space). I find that the more I work in there the more I clean it. When I was doing a lot of boat fitout work I would just have piles of gear on the floor. I'd work marathon hours to finish a job and then all the offcuts, excess materials, fasteners, glue etc etc would get dumped on the floor, then a few months later after another job there would be a new pile. Occassionaly the piles would get picked over if I needed something and then every so often I would get the sh!ts with the mess and have a big clean up. But I always end up with a stack of stuff I can't find a space for and it's just too good to throw away.

Mick the messy

rodm
23rd August 2004, 12:55 AM
Every Sunday evening if I have been doing a project SWMBO helps me vacuum and clean up. We have a drink or two, a bit of a laugh and a game with the four legged monster so it has become an enjoyable ritual.
Down side is that new purchases are noticed.

silentC
23rd August 2004, 09:36 AM
Sounds like domestic bliss, Rod :) My missus is usually busy polishing her golf clubs Sunday evening.

I try to keep it clean. This is infinitely easier now that I have a DC. I used to wade around in waist high sawdust all the time because I'd just used the thicknesser and hadn't had time to sweep it up.

I'm like Midge, I've got several half finished projects cluttering the place up. I spend the first 15-20 minutes of every day in the shed thinking about which of them to attack first. When I can't make my mind up, I just start a new one.

Wood Borer
23rd August 2004, 09:57 AM
I know I should clean my shed more regularly but unfortunately I don't.

- Wood Borer

DanP
23rd August 2004, 11:09 AM
I know I should but I never seem to have the time. I only ever get to the shed once or twice a week nowadays and only for a couple of hours at best each time. :( THEREFORE, cleaning is the last thing on my mind when I'm out there. :D

If I lose something in the shavings I clean till I find it then back to whatever I was doing. If I can't find it after five minutes, I consider it lost. :rolleyes:

Dan

Christopha
23rd August 2004, 11:24 AM
I found that the easiest way to clean my shed was just build more on to it.... it started as a 40 x 20 then it got to be a 40 x 40 and a few years ago it stretched again to a 60 x 40..... trouble is I'm nearly out into the North paddock so, as my Dad shares part of the shed nowadys I shall have to put a contract out on the old bugger so I can have his bit back.... at a suitable interval after the funeral of course!

Termite
23rd August 2004, 11:44 AM
I only clean the floor. If I clean the benches I have to spend half an hour getting out all the things I just put away.
Kind regards
Termite

silentC
23rd August 2004, 12:00 PM
I share my shed with the old bloke too. When I moved in, he had his stuff all over the place. I've managed to squeeze him into one little corner 6ft square but he keeps trying to spread himself out, leaving stuff on the bench, parking the lawn mower where I park my pushy, things like that.

He's over in the Flinder's Ranges at the moment, so I told him on the phone I was packing all his stuff into cardboard boxes and having a garage sale. He muttered something about nasty things he'd done to the last bloke who tried that sort of thing.

Honestly, just because these people bring you into the world, feed you, clothe you and put you through school they think that gives them some kind of authority :rolleyes:

Rocker
23rd August 2004, 12:42 PM
I know I am going to become an object of hatred for this, but ...

the cleaning lady sweeps my shed :D :D

She mows my two acres too :D :D :D

And I am not married to her :D :D :D :D

Rocker

DanP
23rd August 2004, 01:11 PM
And I am not married to her :D :D :D :D

You better hurry up then before someone else gets her. :D

Dan

Turbulance
23rd August 2004, 02:33 PM
This is weird - I was cleaning the shed last night, as I do at then of every day, if I don't put the tools away at the very least it will become a nightmare, and I was wondering if a poll to see how often people cleaned their shed would be a good idea!

I vacuum the floor about once a week, but I put eveything I can away before I knock off - I used to clean workshops for a living, so I find the process rather simple.

It makes working in the shed safer, and project more enjoyable.

HappyHammer
23rd August 2004, 05:23 PM
I share my shed with the old bloke too. When I moved in, he had his stuff all over the place. I've managed to squeeze him into one little corner 6ft square but he keeps trying to spread himself out, leaving stuff on the bench, parking the lawn mower where I park my pushy, things like that.

He's over in the Flinder's Ranges at the moment, so I told him on the phone I was packing all his stuff into cardboard boxes and having a garage sale. He muttered something about nasty things he'd done to the last bloke who tried that sort of thing.

Honestly, just because these people bring you into the world, feed you, clothe you and put you through school they think that gives them some kind of authority :rolleyes:
You lucky bugger, I'd love to share a workshop with my old man but alas he's several thousand miles away.:(

On the subject of cleaning after posting a picture of my bench I can't claim to be tidy at all as time in the "shed" is limited. I put away what's in the way, Triton WB, Compressor and stuff and I sweep the sawdust into a corner. Every now and again it will get on my nerves and I'll have a mass cleanup which involves several breaks when I find stuff like wall hooks that I decide to mount immediately so that I can justify buying more...

HH.

ozwinner
23rd August 2004, 09:18 PM
Go the whales...................

Al

Grunt
23rd August 2004, 09:24 PM
Al,

You've done nearly 2000 posts and you hadn't worked out that this isn't a gay whale site! A little slow me thinks. :D

vsquizz
23rd August 2004, 09:30 PM
"as often as it needs it" needs a bit of definition. When it got to the stage that I had to put my shoulder to the door in order to get in well...things get a bit drastic and I called up a bulldozer (well a bobcat actually). Now she's (is a shed a she?) a twisted pile of gal. Now thats a cleanup!

Cheers

MajorPanic
23rd August 2004, 09:45 PM
It sh*%# me to tears if I go to get a tool & it's not in it's place so I clean up as I work.
This time also doubles as a work-flow check, I think about the project & what needs to be done 3,4 or 5 steps ahead of where I am @ the moment. This is so I don't glue up legs without putting in the stretcher and other stupid things I've done in the past :o .

I also hate tripping over things :D

John Saxton
23rd August 2004, 09:49 PM
Oft times with many jobs that require finishing but are'nt and are delegated to the back of the shed then tidying the shed is an almost impossible task given the wait time for those projects...but in the main I try to keep the tools where they should be ...on hooks/hangers...tidiness is a virtue by some standards not always the case in my situation.
The only area generally tidy is my immediate work area ...not the shed.

Cheers :)

echnidna
24th August 2004, 08:40 PM
I clean my shed when it needs it.
Which generally means after I realise my new machine cant fit in the shed unless I get rid of some of my collection of crap. Thats when my woodheap grows.

vsquizz
24th August 2004, 11:42 PM
I clean my shed when it needs it.
Which generally means after I realise my new machine cant fit in the shed.
Oh dear, Bob, I think your rational needs some work. If the new machine wont fit in its quite obvious....Its BIGGER Shed time:D

Well thats my theory anyway.

Cheers

Alastair
25th August 2004, 12:50 PM
Shed and office, I have a "Piling" system rather than a filing system.

When I am spending more time looking than doing, it is time for the grand clean-up.

Alastair

Kev Y.
26th August 2004, 06:11 AM
For a minute there I thought this was another one of those "is-this--and-are-you-offended" type polls then I realised that it was in the WRONG forum, it should be in the woodies jokes forum(at least for me anyway!)

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

echnidna
8th September 2004, 05:14 PM
Well I am now building an exterior timber rack so that I can clean me shed up enough to put some more tools in it.

echnidna
21st September 2004, 06:57 PM
Got the weatherboards on the walls and the roof on today.

namtrak
21st September 2004, 07:30 PM
Clean shed? What shed? My space is behind and to the right of the trampoline. In between the LilyPily and DakDak

davo453
16th November 2004, 07:24 PM
I'm a reformed "deep litter principal" shed keeper. for years I worked on "the older it is the lower down the pile it is" principal then all of a sudden I became 40 years old. Something happened. my tidy bone finally developed. and I now find my self tidying regularly but not obsessively.

I think it partly has to do with a failing memory (I blame VB for that) meaning I just can't remember were I put the last tool down. if it's a bit tidy I stand a chance.

Dave

ernknot
16th November 2004, 09:17 PM
I clean up after each project or when I think it is necessary like when tripping up over offcuts or getting your butt kicked by the wife because you are tracking saw dust all over the place. I like neat and tidy, everything in its place and a place for everything.

Cliff Rogers
16th November 2004, 11:58 PM
F' off.....
clean & shed are mutually exclusive....
if you want clean, get back in the house somewhere ya woose.... :rolleyes:

My shed gets cleaned just after I move out into bigger one. :D

vsquizz
17th November 2004, 12:39 AM
F' off.....
clean & shed are mutually exclusive....
if you want clean, get back in the house somewhere ya woose.... :rolleyes:

My shed gets cleaned just after I move out into bigger one. :D
I hate to say this Cliff but I would clean my shed.....IF I could get in the bast**d. I'm off to the new shed bloke on Friday but half my gear is in storage and half of it is jammed in the garden shed and I can't get in cause the lawn mower or something is stuck inside the door??:o . I'm going to have to have to undo some tech screws to get it!

Cheers (Hope you enjoyed Italiano)

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2004, 12:50 AM
I'm a reformed "deep litter principal" shed keeper....all of a sudden I became 40 years old. Something happened. ...I think it partly has to do with a failing memory (I blame VB for that) meaning I just can't remember were I put the last tool down. ... Dave

Hey Davo, there's a differance between 'clean' & 'tidy,' that's why they say...
"clean AND tidy"
The question was how often do you CLEAN your shed, pay attention ya silly old phart. :rolleyes:

I know what ya meant to say though. :D

Cross threading a bit here, when I did share a shed with my dad, (while it was his,)
he drummed, bashed, kicked it into me (& my brothers) that every thing had
it's place AND, everything should be in it's place SO, even though my shed
looks like a mulch heap, IF no one else has been in it, I can lay my hand on
everything in it (given 5 minutes & a cup of coffee) & only I understand the
f(P)iling system. (given 5 minutes & a cup of coffee :rolleyes: )

Iain
17th November 2004, 08:52 AM
A clean shed is the sign of a sick mind.
Thick sawdust on the floor is cheaper than rubber mats and you can shift benches on it to make it even.
Spills don't stain the concrete and can be picked up easily once the mildew starts and holds it all together.
Cobwebs make a great dust traps and cheaper than dust masks or air cleaners.
They also make great UV filters under the skylights.
Thieves cannot identify quality equipment under thick layers of dust, security advantage.
Apart from that, when needed.

echnidna
17th November 2004, 08:27 PM
And if you do clean your shed, guess what?
you have to do it again!!

JackoH
18th November 2004, 08:33 AM
Clean shed? Another oxymoron!

beejay1
5th March 2005, 08:30 PM
Hate to admit it but im a tidy up after every seesion nut. Have to because i just dont have the space to leave things lyin' around. I suppose safety is an issue as well but thats not why I do it. Also believe that if things are where theyre supposed to be theyre easy to find when you want to use them. Just the way I am but I do have some endearing qualities,,honestly

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/travesmilies/haushalt/smilie_staubsauger.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

echnidna
5th March 2005, 08:53 PM
I cleaned me shed earler in this post.
Thought that would last till next year.
Just done it again and me dust drums are full again after todays sawdust making episode.

Sturdee
5th March 2005, 09:24 PM
Hate to admit it but im a tidy up after every seesion nut. Have to because i just dont have the space to leave things lyin' around. I suppose safety is an issue as well but thats not why I do it. Also believe that if things are where theyre supposed to be theyre easy to find when you want to use them. Just the way I am but I do have some endearing qualities,,honestly

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/travesmilies/haushalt/smilie_staubsauger.gif
beejay1

Beejay, untill now I thought you were just another royalist charlie freak :D :D :D but you have just shown some redeeming qualities. :D Don't be sorry for being a tidying up nut, as I am one too. :eek:

I like to have a tool for every purpose and a place to store it so that it is readily available. So everytime I get in the workshop, and before starting, I look around and put away 10 tools that have not been put away. This way the shop stays tidy and I know where to find my tools.

Peter.

beejay1
5th March 2005, 10:50 PM
Beejay, untill now I thought you were just another royalist charlie freak :D :D :D but you have just shown some redeeming qualities. :D Don't be sorry for being a tidying up nut, as I am one too. :eek:

I like to have a tool for every purpose and a place to store it so that it is readily available. So everytime I get in the workshop, and before starting, I look around and put away 10 tools that have not been put away. This way the shop stays tidy and I know where to find my tools.Peter.
Thanks peter, ive seen your shop and knew how you worked. Sort of an aside but Iain mentioned cobwebs and stuff, how do you guys in rural areas cope with the nasties like snakes and spiders, do they ever get into your shops, do you check for them or leave em alone, and has anyone ever been bitten by one of those things. I seem to recollect a shot posted a while back of a redback in someones shop and it scared the ....out of me.
beejay1

echnidna
5th March 2005, 11:25 PM
Had scorpions , bullants, a couple of black snakes a long while ago. None of em are much bother just despatch them with a shovel etc.

The biggest problem though is the drop bears.

beejay1
5th March 2005, 11:37 PM
Had scorpions , bullants, a couple of black snakes a long while ago. None of em are much bother just despatch them with a shovel etc.

The biggest problem though is the drop bears.
youre not catchin me out with that one echidna, I know that drop bears are only found in NSW, nice try though. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

echnidna
5th March 2005, 11:51 PM
Beejay, actually Victoria was part of NSW until we escaped from cockroach land. (an aussie term of endearment for NSW) and theres definately drop bears here too!!.
They scared s*** out of some campers over Christmas. So we went hunting for them but couldn't see them, but we could hear them so I know they're here.

Driver
7th March 2005, 12:12 PM
So we went hunting for them but couldn't see them, but we could hear them so I know they're here.

Bob

I hope you explained to the visiting campers that drop bears won't attack you if you douse your head in fresh urine before venturing forth?

Col

glock40sw
7th March 2005, 12:33 PM
I know I should but I never seem to have the time. I only ever get to the shed once or twice a week nowadays and only for a couple of hours at best each time. :( THEREFORE, cleaning is the last thing on my mind when I'm out there. :D

If I lose something in the shavings I clean till I find it then back to whatever I was doing. If I can't find it after five minutes, I consider it lost. :rolleyes:

Dan
I know the feeling. I misplaced a 1/4" to 1/2" router bit adaptor about 6 months ago. I know it's there somewhere, I just can't find the bl00dy thing.
drives me mad looking for it. It will probabley show up when I need something else & I'll put it in a safe place to be lost for another 6 months...:D

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Iain
7th March 2005, 12:38 PM
I know the feeling. I misplaced a 1/4" to 1/2" router bit adaptor about 6 months ago.
I've misplaced a 1/2" router, I really need to clean up. :(

echnidna
7th March 2005, 01:02 PM
Bob

I hope you explained to the visiting campers that drop bears won't attack you if you douse your head in fresh urine before venturing forth?

Col

Of course not!
Its much funnier watching them find out :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Woodlice
7th March 2005, 03:05 PM
Most of my 'quality time' is spent procrastinating about what to do, so I have heaps of time to keep things in order... SWMBO says it obsessive/compulsive and it must look like it at times........................................................

J!

barnsey
7th March 2005, 06:59 PM
If the shed was supposed to be tidy I could set it up in the lounge or dining room for F@#$'s sake. Just like dirty clothes - you wash 'em when you got to turn yesterdays jock's inside out :eek:

In all seriousness I usually get the flexible hose out and do a clean up of the floor and or the equipment I've been using every evening with the DC. Although that depends on the time, how much I'm enjoying a coldie and how much more I'm going to make tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Tools - well when I can't find something it's time to clean up till I find it. The longer it takes the more it was needed anyway. I'm convinced however this tends to add to the unfinished projects list - couldn't find a chuck key the other week so the hammer drill job was postponed till I found it a month later. :eek:

As for grand clean up's well the old adage applies "That'll be handy if I ever find a use for it" :o

Buggered if I know what to answer on the poll therefore. :(

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 04:33 PM
I went away for a week, got back an the wife thought she'd be helpful, it's been three months now, I still can't find my chisels or steel rulers - she assures me there still in there. That's why I don't clean up the shed, I normally do it after the jobs done.

Gingermick
3rd April 2005, 06:35 PM
I've been off work for 2 weeks now (after snip snip went bad) and couldn't spend much of that time in my shed. SWMBO's relly's just came down and thought I would like having my shed cleaned. I had only just got a nice thick coating of shavings on the floor. It's really easy on the feet.
Sometimes my gouges and chisels get put back in the box I made for them. Mostly not nut they are always within a 900 radius off my lathe.
A bit of a shame as I have this awesome work bench that my great grandfather brought out from Germany and I cant see it. The vices are acessible though.
mick