PDA

View Full Version : "Let It Snow"

Ed Reiss
21st December 2009, 07:41 AM
Whoever wrote that song should have their head examined ... here's the result after 24 hours of letting it snow :C:doh:
First pic is of the wife's car and my pick up (ute) is the second ...that's about 18+ inches of the white stuff...Merry early Christmas :o

artme
21st December 2009, 08:37 AM
Whoever wrote that song should have their head examined ... here's the result after 24 hours of [I]letting it snow :C:doh:
:o

Should have turned the machine off you silly bugger!!!:D:D:D

Ozkaban
21st December 2009, 09:58 AM
First pic is of the wife's car and my pick up (ute) is the second ...that's about 18+ inches of the white stuff...Merry early Christmas :o

Useful if you were into the Snow Delivery Business. Mind you, I don't imagine anyone has a particular shortage in the area!

How popular are convertibles in your area? :o

Cheers,
Dave

KenW
21st December 2009, 10:27 AM
Ed, a white Christmas would be a nice change, I don't know about the quantity you have. The weather is just starting to heat up here.
Have a good Christmas.

Manuka Jock
21st December 2009, 10:32 AM
No chance of mowing the lawns , so more time on the lathe then , eh Ed :U

rsser
21st December 2009, 01:32 PM
Sounds like there's more on the way Ed.

Good luck with it.

Upside is that it should bring some trees down.

wheelinround
21st December 2009, 01:49 PM
Thats a lot of shoveling you have to do Ed no time for turning :no: Hope there is anti-freeze in the radiator. No buring good wood either we'll be watching you :;

tea lady
21st December 2009, 03:52 PM
upside is that it should bring some trees down.:d

Gil Jones
21st December 2009, 04:07 PM
Hey, Ed, good luck with all that white stuff.
All we use it for down South is to make Snow Cones.
Here is a pic looking out of my shop office window at the house.
Yep, it's an orange tree.
Gil

chippy 71
21st December 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey, Ed, good luck with all that white stuff.
All we use it for down South is to make Snow Cones.
Here is a pic looking out of my shop office window at the house.
Yep, it's an orange tree.
Gil

Hi Gil,
That is a nice stand of straight trees not far from your workshop.:;

Colin.

Ad de Crom
21st December 2009, 09:13 PM
Ed, a pretty amount of snow, got a new layer of snow last night, and still it snows like crazy, fun for the kids who have Christmas holiday, my shop is closed till the after Christmas.
Here a picture of the situation right now.
Have a very good Christmas old friend.
Ad

Wilco Flier
21st December 2009, 10:11 PM
Here we have a lot of snow to, this picture was taken yesterday, now we have 20 cm snow.

My shop is a little corner of a big agricultural barn(dont know of this is a right description?) and its very cold there now, - 5 C' :C

artme
21st December 2009, 10:46 PM
Must say one thing about a White Christmas - everybody should experience at least one.

We were in Buffalo for a white Christmas years ago. The first snow fell during Christmas eve and fell throughout the night. I was absolutely entranced by the whole thing. The silence in the morning, the whiteness of it all. then a car left its single st of tracks along the street. Out in the yard a bird hopped across the snow- I think it was a Cardinal - and left its footprints. A squirrel scampered between trees leaving its mark .

More vehicles and the snow began to turn to slush on the roads. I did the shoveling duties until the young fellow across the road, and the owner of a Pizza place, sent in th snow plough he had hired to do his driveway.

That night, following more snow through the day, we had a get together with the extended family. The fridge was full so we simply put the beer outside in the snow.

Great memories.:)

Ed Reiss
22nd December 2009, 01:12 AM
thanks for all the commisatory (is that a word?) comments guys... even Gil for "rubbing it in" about the great weather in Georgia, but hang on pal, the global weather is changing so in about 10,000 years you'll be getting the white stuff too :q:D:D:D

Took 5 1/2 hours of snow-blowing, shoveling, and cleaning off the vehicles, but in the end got the job done, went in, dried off, had a hot toddy and vegged in front of the boob tube for the rest of the day.

Ern...no trees down with this one, but just might happen on Christmas day as another storm is expected to move in, but this one is suppose to be ice :((:(

Merry Christmas one and all !!!

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 08:07 AM
You got a bit enthusiastic Ed and shovelled the wifes car away.:wink::D

Rum Pig
22nd December 2009, 08:42 AM
It has been snowing up here for a few weeks now just in the liquid form:doh: 390mm for the month and counting:boat2:

:santahat::merrychristmas:

hughie
22nd December 2009, 08:46 AM
[Qt has been snowing up here for a few weeks now just in the liquid form:doh: 390mm for the month and counting:boat2:

warm snow, my favourite kind :U

Ed Reiss
22nd December 2009, 01:26 PM
You got a bit enthusiastic Ed and shovelled the wifes car away.:wink::D

That's why I busted my butt on Sunday to clear the white stuff so that her car could disappear this morning...after all, one of us has to go to work to feed the turning habit:roll::D:D

Ed Reiss
22nd December 2009, 01:28 PM
It has been snowing up here for a few weeks now just in the liquid form:doh: 390mm for the month and counting:boat2:

:santahat::merrychristmas:

well geez RP, put all that liquid gold to good use...set up a still in the back forty:U:U

Rum Pig
22nd December 2009, 01:33 PM
well geez RP, put all that liquid gold to good use...set up a still in the back forty:U:U
That has crossed my mind many times:cool:

Maybe when I get rich from turning :laughing1:

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 03:50 PM
That has crossed my mind many times:cool:

Maybe when I get rich from turning :laughing1:Yeah, right.:rofl:

rsser
22nd December 2009, 04:58 PM
Good luck Ed. Yeah, ice is the down side of snow. More folk hurt themselves slipping on it than skiing.

Wilco Flier, which part of Holland are you in?

Artme, dead right. The magicest moment I ever had in the snow was waking up in the hike tent when winter camping on the Bogong High Plains. Fresh fall overnight, no trace of nuffink. Just a pure white blanket over everything. It was like the world born anew.

And then I got the skis on and laid tracks all over it!

Gil Jones
22nd December 2009, 05:41 PM
Hey, Colin, those straight, tall (all about 33+meters hi), trees are Long Leaf Pine (104 of them in the yard).

chippy 71
22nd December 2009, 06:35 PM
Hey, Colin, those straight, tall (all about 33+meters hi), trees are Long Leaf Pine (104 of them in the yard).

Hey Gil, that is what you could call a lifetime supply of timber right on your doorstep.:rolleyes:

wheelinround
23rd December 2009, 07:55 AM
Hey Ed still temps of 38C here and no sign of snow :U

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Ed still temps of 38C here and no sign of snow :U

don't burn your bum gettin in and out of the chair :q:D:D:D

wheelinround
23rd December 2009, 04:54 PM
don't burn your bum gettin in and out of the chair :q:D:D:D

Better than freezin it Ed :q and by the look of the snow you don't have to sit to do it :snopee:

rod1949
23rd December 2009, 06:00 PM
You people on the top half of the globe should be thankful of global warming then... be more colder otherwise:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 01:20 AM
Better than freezin it Ed :q and by the look of the snow you don't have to sit to do it :snopee:
well Ray, you should really experience it at least once in a lifetime...our guest room is ready for ya' and the chopper handle bars will be mounted on the snow-blower for you.:ok::cold::D

wheelinround
24th December 2009, 08:46 AM
well Ray, you should really experience it at least once in a lifetime...our guest room is ready for ya' and the chopper handle bars will be mounted on the snow-blower for you.:ok::cold::D

My childhood memories of snow Ed
My dad trying to go to work had to go out the top window wearing my tennis racquets as snow shoes, he'd shovled into the street over 6' and still couldn't see anything but snow.
This post you missed obviously http://www.woodworkforums.com/f43/snow-fun-110072/#post1081276

Then here 16 years driving snow tours Ed yeh ok no where near as big a dump but there were a few that were close.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/414300365_c2aef807c4_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/414300713_e6eb814cb8_m.jpg

Allan at Wallan
24th December 2009, 08:57 AM
Ahhhh, "There'snow business like snow business".

Happy Christmas to you all whether you are in the snow,
the heat, the dust, the wind, the floods or in simply
perfect Wallan.:2tsup:

Allan

munruben
24th December 2009, 09:00 AM
This post you missed obviously http://www.woodworkforums.com/f43/snow-fun-110072/#post1081276
I think I missed that post too Ray. Funny you should mention Newcastle upon Tyne. I remember being up there as a little boy, 7 years old and the snow drifts were as high as telegraph poles. My Dad worked on the open cast coal sites up there and I remember him driving one of the big bulldozers down our street to clear the snow off the road.. That was in 1947. bit before your time. :)

Wilco Flier
24th December 2009, 09:02 AM
Wilco Flier, which part of Holland are you in?

I live in the province Overijsel, near the (small) city Kampen. A very nice and old city, near the beautifull river 'de IJssel'. Actually I live in the rural/country (what ever), with al lot of horticulture. Mostly greenhouses (last picture).

wheelinround
24th December 2009, 09:35 AM
I live in the province Overijsel, near the (small) city Kampen. A very nice and old city, near the beautifull river 'de IJssel'. Actually I live in the rural/country (what ever), with al lot of horticulture. Mostly greenhouses (last picture).

Beautiful shots :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 12:37 PM
Beautiful country!

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 12:39 PM
Well Ray...irregardless,the welcome mat is always out :U

rsser
24th December 2009, 01:00 PM
Lovely Wilco. Thanks for the photos.

I have family in Amersfoort, Utrecht, Amsterdam and a town in the East that I can never remember. Could actually be Kampen. My grandfather was an architect in Holland.

wheelinround
25th December 2009, 07:26 AM
I think I missed that post too Ray. Funny you should mention Newcastle upon Tyne. I remember being up there as a little boy, 7 years old and the snow drifts were as high as telegraph poles. My Dad worked on the open cast coal sites up there and I remember him driving one of the big bulldozers down our street to clear the snow off the road.. That was in 1947. bit before your time. :)

9 years prior my birth John yeh they were big now drifts back those days funny isn't it greenies have said its coal that caused global warming yet ever since they slowed its use its got warmer. Might be the lack of all that steam in the air from steam power not forming into snow. Ah the smell of fresh burning coal a steam train rushing by sitting at the station hissing away.

wheelinround
25th December 2009, 07:28 AM
Well Ray...irregardless,the welcome mat is always out :U

Thank's Ed if ever I get to the US I'll let you know :2tsup: