PDA

View Full Version : GMC Woodlathe Suitable for lures?

Lure
21st December 2009, 01:04 PM
Hey guys this is my first post came across a GMC wood lathe today looked to be about 3 - 4 feet long. So i thought id ask people with experince with these lathes if they would be suitable for lures and other jobs at the size of a glue stick.
Cheers for ya help guys.

rsser
21st December 2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome Lure.

Do a search of the forum on GMC lathes.

The results often refer to boating.

Manuka Jock
21st December 2009, 01:38 PM
Lure ,
in general , small things can be turned on big lathes , but the reverse is not necessarily true.
You may find , as many of us have , that even tho you set out to turn little things , you will want to have a crack at bigger stuff .

Keep that in mind , when considering your lathe

Ozkaban
21st December 2009, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Lure.

apparently as a lathe, GMC lathes make pretty good disk sanders...

there are some pretty basic flaws with this lathe. Firstly, it is all tubular steel and wobbles around a lot. Secondly, it doesn't have a morse taper so drive dogs, live centres, etc all have to be GMC threaded ones (not easy to locate). The GMC chuck has 4 independant jaws which means it isn't self centering.

All in all, if you *really* only have the $99 it takes, then keep the items small and don't ask too much. If you can stretch to a couple of hundred dollars, there are *much* better options out there. The basic Carbatec one (the 10x18, I think it's called) is pretty cheap for small items, or the MC900 series can be had for $3-400, especially second hand.

Beware that accessories for these things are a bigger investment than the lathe. The only way to overcome this is to buy an expensive lathe - the rest then looks cheap :D

Cheers,
Dave

orraloon
21st December 2009, 03:04 PM
The GMC is the bottom of the range in lathes but it will turn lures and general small stuff.
If that is all you want to make then it will get you by but you will find its limitations if you get the turning bug and become more ambitious. GMC is no longer going so be aware that new lathes were about $100. Secondhand should be about $50 to $70 tops.
Regards
John

Lure
21st December 2009, 07:58 PM
Cheers for the help fellas, Youve helped alot, Im thinking of purchasing a scroll saw as it will leave me with more options design wise. i Bought one of those Cheap ryobi bandsaws for the same purpose but that was the biggest FAIL ever. I know this is the wrong forum but anybody have experience with those scroll saws at Bunnings that are around $220

Cheers once again
Jaicob.

corbs
21st December 2009, 09:45 PM
I think most will agree that they would make better anchors than lures:rolleyes::B:;:U

artme
21st December 2009, 10:32 PM
G'day Lure and welcome to the forums.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What lured you in??:D:D

I wouldn't even pay someone to own a GMC lathe!!!:no::no::no:

Do you need a bandsaw or a scrollsaw or perhaps both??

Have a look at Hare 7 Forbes range of gear and also see Carba-Tec.

hughie
21st December 2009, 10:55 PM
I think most will agree that they would make better anchors than lures

took the letters right off my key board :U

corbs
22nd December 2009, 07:23 AM
took the letters right off my key board :U

There's a saying about great minds:wink:

robyn2839
22nd December 2009, 11:18 AM
about the only lures you will make on a lathe would be poppers etc, better off with a scrollsaw and a
dremmel......bob

petersemple
22nd December 2009, 11:56 AM
Cheers for the help fellas, Youve helped alot, Im thinking of purchasing a scroll saw as it will leave me with more options design wise. i Bought one of those Cheap ryobi bandsaws for the same purpose but that was the biggest FAIL ever. I know this is the wrong forum but anybody have experience with those scroll saws at Bunnings that are around $220

Cheers once again
Jaicob.

If you are talking about the ryobi scroll saws, I have one, and it isn't too bad. I added a set of holders for pinless blades (they come with some, but the add on ones are better. It does shake around a bit, but then I have always intended to bolt it down with some rubber between the saw and the table. I probably shouldn't winge about vibration until I've done that.

Peter

Lure
22nd December 2009, 08:03 PM
Yeh thanks, i was talking about the ryobis.
At the moment i have been using my good ol knife. Just can get annoying at times trying to whittle down 2" piece to under 1"
ill hopefully pick up one of those ryobi ones after Xmas just a bit hesitant after my experience with the Band saw =(
Thats the downfall of a lathe your pretty limited to walk the dog, minnow type lures.

Thanks for the help guys.
Jaicob.

orraloon
23rd December 2009, 09:14 AM
Lure,
Have a look at this For the segmented turning mob. - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/segmented-turning-mob-110331/)
We may all have been a bit harsh on those lathes.
Regards
John

rodent
2nd January 2010, 01:39 AM
Penstate have some kits for lures you might want to look at .

Timbre Surfer
6th January 2010, 11:54 AM
I have a GMC Lathe, bought due to budgetory purposes. I have made a couple of items and posted them in the critique pictures (top sticky on this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/critique-pictures-read-1st-post-57523/ ) and a couple of the pics show the lathe set up. a couple of bowls i have completed of 350mm diameter (from memory i think)
i have just got a vicmark expanding chuck to suit it for xmas. you will need one of these to do lures as due to the tubular construction of the lathe, any more than the slightest bit of tension and the pin and tailstock (terms??) do not line up correctly. this means the chuck is worth 1.7 times what the actual lathe is worth.
but if you know and work in it's limitations, it should work for you. in saying that, my eye is always open for a 2nd hand bargain!!