PDA

View Full Version : The pot plant saucer

powderpost
22nd December 2009, 09:48 PM
About 18 years ago I gave my mil a laminated platter for Christmas. A month ago we moved them from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom unit, they are both over 80. While shifting some pot plants from outside I spotted the platter under a pot plant for a saucer. Must admit I did utter some very sharp words. I also explained to her That she was very similar to a female of the canine species. The plate was immediately confiscated and re finished. Interesting to note it was made with standard aquadhere glue.
It is a simple project, if there is a need I can do a wip.
Jim

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 10:37 PM
:oo::C Seemed to have survived the stress test quite well though.:D

artme
23rd December 2009, 05:27 AM
Good story and a still nice platter.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
23rd December 2009, 05:54 AM
Very cool piece Jim. A relatively simple technique yielded an eyecatching result. Glad you could save it.

Ozkaban
23rd December 2009, 10:39 AM
Good save :2tsup:

It's always difficult when giving gifts. On one hand you put a lot of work in a produced a beautiful result that you valued. On the other, a gift belongs to the recipient and they can do what they like with it, though not respecting it isn't a great way of getting another...

Your MIL perhaps didn't appreciate the effort that went into it, or the artistic value of the piece (personal taste, I guess), but on the bright side you obviously made it very well for it to have stood up to such abuse!

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
23rd December 2009, 10:41 AM
Forgot to add - Mil is probably gutted that her plant pot saucer is gone as it's been one of her favourites for years! :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2009, 12:43 PM
Jim, nice design but gotta' admit my eye's went cross-eyed :o :D:D:D

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 04:09 PM
Jim, nice design but gotta' admit my eye's went cross-eyed :o :D:D:DShovelling snow causes that I believe.:D

rsser
23rd December 2009, 04:31 PM
Prob not the only organ that got crossed up in that NE winter Ed is having. Shoot, he could've draw knifed a set of XC skis by now with all the indoors time at hand ;-}

Jim, fantastic work, and yeah, can't have been watered too well or the PVA would've dissolved.

Would appreciate a thread on how you did it.

powderpost
23rd December 2009, 08:23 PM
Probably do a wip in the new year.
Jim

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 01:05 AM
Shovelling snow causes that I believe.:D

not if you keep your eye's closed :;

Prob not the only organ that got crossed up in that NE winter Ed is having. Shoot, he could've draw knifed a set of XC skis by now with all the indoors time at hand ;-}

not if you don't have a draw knife :; ...could have used a pair of ski's a few days ago:yes:

Jim, fantastic work, and yeah, can't have been watered too well or the PVA would've dissolved.

Would appreciate a thread on how you did it.

jefferson
25th December 2009, 11:39 AM
A great story, Jim. Even the wife chuckled long and hard.... :D

Looking forward to the WIP in the New Year.

Evan Pavlidis
30th December 2009, 06:23 AM
Nice design Jim; your work stood the test of time.
Some people for some reason misuse handcrafted items, like those that use small red mallee and coolabah burl turnings as ash trays believe it or not.:o

When I see the "abuse" they cop and question them about it their reply is:
so what, I can use it for anything I like. But for some, explaining the effort involved and your time to create a unique piece just falls on deaf ears.

Really annoys the living daylights out of me when their attitude says I paid for it and can do what I like with it; which is somewhat reasonable, but when the designer maker sees their work being desicrated it's worse than a sharp jab in the chops.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the WIP in the new year.

Cheers, Evan :)