PDA

View Full Version : mini lathe hight

nz_carver
25th December 2009, 10:18 AM
hey all just got a mini lathe:2tsup:

and its on a work benck the bench is 890 high
but i have it on bricks so its around 1000 high

is this to high?
or do i take the bricks out from under the bench???

thaks
nz_ carver
soon to be nz_ turner:U

RETIRED
25th December 2009, 10:23 AM
Depends how tall or short you are.

The normal way to set the height for a lathe is: Put your hand on the opposite shoulder.

The "dimple" just above your elbow is about the right height whilst standing straight and should line up with the spindle..

wheelinround
25th December 2009, 10:24 AM
Dave if standing up about elbow height otherwise what is comfortable for you your tall so you'll have to look at it make sure its close to the edge but not able to vibrate off.

Who got a new lathe this morning.???

nz_carver
25th December 2009, 10:34 AM
ME ME ME I GOT A NEW LATHE:U:U

can't play with it till after we get back from lunch:C

wheelinround
25th December 2009, 11:15 AM
ME ME ME I GOT A NEW LATHE:U:U

can't play with it till after we get back from lunch:C

Rubbish

Oh Dave bone is good for turning so grab the bone out of the meat also good for carving :D

Ed Reiss
25th December 2009, 12:48 PM
...no pics, never happen !!!

(congrats on the new lathe)

Ross
25th December 2009, 01:09 PM
If it's a mini don't waste time take it to lunch, it will fit on the table.

Ross

texx
25th December 2009, 01:23 PM
i am in the middle of setting up my new pen making area and have just finished the bench for the mini lathe yesterday .
i picked up an old desk ( from the dump a few years ago ) steel frame ,the chipboard top was no good but it has 2 nice steel drawers very handy , anyway i screwed a 1/2 ply top on it gave it 2 coats of clear and it is ready to go .
i am 6 foot tall and looking at it i thought the thing would be to low but its not in fact it suits me spot on , the desk is 725mm from the floor to the desk top , it felt low at first because my old lathe was actually to high .
another inch or 1 and 1/2 higher would be ok i think too ,but definitely no more than that for me anyway.
from the floor to the lathe center is 1040 mm

Pat
25th December 2009, 04:08 PM
Dave, it's well after lunch, were's the pics? What did you get?

nz_carver
25th December 2009, 04:24 PM
hey pat just got home its the same as the lathe above

will take pics when i find mums cam

wheelinround
25th December 2009, 05:02 PM
hey pat just got home its the same as the lathe above

will take pics when i find mums cam

Well where are they we are waiting:U

Sawdust Maker
25th December 2009, 05:06 PM
Happy new lathe
(lucky bugger) :2tsup:

PS texx that looks like a nice setup - if too low you always bolt it to a bit of 4 x 2 on each end

PSS texx if you screw a bit of wood cut out like this (excuse my drawing) to the edge of your benchtop it will stop your chisels from rolling around

robyn2839
25th December 2009, 06:18 PM
so will you be changing your name to NZ turner ?...........bob

texx
25th December 2009, 06:56 PM
Happy new lathe
(lucky bugger) :2tsup:

PS texx that looks like a nice setup - if too low you always bolt it to a bit of 4 x 2 on each end

PSS texx if you screw a bit of wood cut out like this (excuse my drawing) to the edge of your benchtop it will stop your chisels from rolling around
chisels aint staying there like that mate thats just where they are for the time being , still getting the area sorted out more stuff to add yet and some racks to go on the wall ,i want it nice and organised not like my normal mess:U:U

artme
26th December 2009, 07:08 AM
Santa was kind to you NZ. You must have been a very god little Kiwi!!!:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

nz_carver
26th December 2009, 01:22 PM
Santa was kind to you NZ. You must have been a very god little Kiwi!!!:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

I was but im not a kiwi:U

wheelinround
27th December 2009, 09:48 AM
I was but im not a kiwi:U

Maybe not but Lamb still has that effect on him

Sawdust Maker
27th December 2009, 09:27 PM
chisels aint staying there like that mate thats just where they are for the time being , still getting the area sorted out more stuff to add yet and some racks to go on the wall ,i want it nice and organised not like my normal mess:U:U

texx

I was thinking of temp storage for the couple you are using for the particular job. I've something similar which sits in the bet of the lathe for temporary storage. Will post a piccy if you are interested

texx
27th December 2009, 09:49 PM
texx

I was thinking of temp storage for the couple you are using for the particular job. I've something similar which sits in the bet of the lathe for temporary storage. Will post a piccy if you are interested
ok ta very much may be handy :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
27th December 2009, 09:58 PM
bugga
now I'll have to take one
no probs will do so in the morning.
btw - have we managed to hijack this thread :o

Sawdust Maker
28th December 2009, 09:13 PM

texx
28th December 2009, 09:55 PM
thanks for that , not sure if i would use some thing like that though im to messy to put stuff in holders , but tell me are those sander things any good i dont have one and have never used one .

wheelinround
29th December 2009, 08:41 AM
thanks for that , not sure if i would use some thing like that though im to messy to put stuff in holders , but tell me are those sander things any good i dont have one and have never used one .

The sander is well worth it got mine off young Stirlo when he was selling up shop around for what your after the one I have is bulky non-swivel head have a look at McJings or Carrol's. Or make your own.