View Full Version : 1 chuck,2 chuck,3 chuck 4

nz_carver
26th December 2009, 06:04 PM
ok now as I just got my 1st lather so most of it is all new to me:rolleyes:

but a have been looking in to chucks and trying to work out what one is best

but im posting this one for all the chuck addicts out there
after see it on another fourm

now one of our members took the prize for most chucks:2tsup:

now I was thinking i'd see who in here has the most chucks?????

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2009, 06:47 PM
I have 10 but I also have 4 lathes. :D

Pat
26th December 2009, 06:58 PM
I only have 7 for my two lathes, 4 SN2's, a G3, a Bonham copy, a 3 jaw metal working for the Teknatool, oh and I also have the Nova Compact, which doesn't fit either of my lathes, so 8 in total + numerous faceplates:U

What size spindle is your little beastie? If, by some miracle, it is 1" x 8tpi, The Compact could be yours . . .

nz_carver
26th December 2009, 07:15 PM
M30x3.5

jefferson
26th December 2009, 08:11 PM
I have 10 but I also have 4 lathes. :D

Ten of what, Cliff? And aside from the VL300, what are the others? I know I stuffed up well with my chuck and lathe purchases from the very beginning, so your insights would be useful.

(I had to get another VM120 with the big jaws for this week. Used already today and holding fine.)

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2009, 08:27 PM
Pay attention Jeff... We have done this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cliff-has-4-lathes-79582/) before... you started it. :D

Chucks, the subject is chucks... Oooo you want to know what sort. :doh:

First the lathes...

Vicmarc VL300SBEVS

JET Mini (the one I had at Prossy)

Shopsmith Mk V (Only used as a saw bench now)

Monster pedestal lathe (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mother-faceplate-lathe-22821/#post223456) made from parts from a scrap metal yard.

Chucks...

2 x VM120, one with the 485mm bowl jaws, the other with the 45mm shark jaws.

2 x SN2, one with 35mm Shark jaws.

1 x SN with 20mm pin jaws.

2 x Nova.

1 x compact clone.

1 x Bonham with 3 sets of jaws.

1 x Master Chuck.

Now the combos....

The VMs only go on the big Vicmarc.

The SNs will go on the Vicmarc or the JET.

The Novas only go on the JET.

The Bonham will go on the JET or the Monster lathe.

The Master Chuck only goes on the Shopsmith.

nz_carver
26th December 2009, 08:30 PM
here is the bit that gets me

you can only use 1 lathe at a time so 1 lathe = 1 chuck?

so why do you need 10 chucks?
i can understand haveing sets of jaws

I still have know Idear what chuck to get
the one in the carba tec flyer seams to look the goods???

nz_carver
26th December 2009, 08:33 PM
NOVA
thats the one I looked at $199

Calm
26th December 2009, 08:39 PM

I reckon in 5 years time you will wish you started with a Vicmark or Vermek and bought more jaws or more chucks. I started with Nova and now it is too exy to changeover to vicmarks so i am stuck with Nova.

Cheers

Pat
26th December 2009, 08:39 PM
Dave, when you have to change the jaws 3 or 4 times to complete a bowl, it's easier to have multiple chucks . . . remember Rule No 1 He who dies with the most toys wins!:U

Sawdust Maker
26th December 2009, 09:19 PM
I've got a couple of the nova SN2's - they are a good chuck
but I think if I was starting out again I'd start with the Vermec (it'll be my next) chuck. Here's (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermec100chuck.pdf) the 100 mm version and here's (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf) the 110 mm version
they are by all accounts a very solid chuck and have the added advantage of accepting nova and vicmarc jaws (actually reading the blurb, it might be only the 110 which accepts nova jaws - might be wise to check if you need this feature)
It is also possible to get an adapter from vermec to affix vicmarc jaws to a nova chuck

jefferson
26th December 2009, 09:33 PM

OK.... Say you are turning some grinders..... You start with long-grain blanks, put two tenons on either end then part.

That's one chuck for the tenons.....

Then you hollow / bore / drill the guts out, then re-mount on pin jaws. Chuck no 2.....

And it only gets worse when you turn other things. Big bowls, little ones....

Or you could have friends visiting and they want to turn BIG. And small. Or maybe four lathes, all at the same time. ( brought his lot of chucks up here just in case.... :2tsup::2tsup:)

Of course, you can use jam chucks, face plates and hot melt, but you will need someone to show you how. Or perhaps more importantly, you'll need to learn to turn better sooner. IMHO of course.

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2009, 09:57 PM

Yup, I know what you are thinking... I started out with one lathe & one chuck.

One of my lathes is actually a combination tool & I only use it as a saw bench now.

The other 3 lathes are 3 different sizes & have 3 different jobs.

Out of all my chucks, only 2 of them have the same jaws on them 'cos I hate changing jaws.

The 2 with the same jaws are used for turning lidded boxes so I don't have to re-chuck the parts during the process.
I just remove the chuck with the part still in it while & turn the other part & then I can put it back on the lathe later. :2tsup:

wheelinround
26th December 2009, 10:13 PM
I only have 7 for my two lathes, 4 SN2's, a G3, a Bonham copy, a 3 jaw metal working for the Teknatool, oh and I also have the Nova Compact, which doesn't fit either of my lathes, so 8 in total + numerous faceplates:U

What size spindle is your little beastie? If, by some miracle, it is 1" x 8tpi, The Compact could be yours . . .

Pat if you want the 8th back no problem.:2tsup:

Pat
26th December 2009, 10:17 PM
No thanks Ray, that would make 9 . . . I replaced it with one of the two SN2's I brought from Carbatec early Dec.

wheelinround
26th December 2009, 10:20 PM
No thanks Ray, that would make 9 . . . I replaced it with one of the two SN2's I brought from Carbatec early Dec.

A miss count on your part.:roll: how could you

colhu
26th December 2009, 10:49 PM
ok now as I just got my 1st lather so most of it is all new to me:rolleyes:

but a have been looking in to chucks and trying to work out what one is best

When bought my original lathe I knew just enough about them to be dangerous. By sheer luck I ended up with a Vicmark VL100 chuck on a Hare & Forbes MC900 clone lathe, because Carba-tek had run out of Bonhams. It has been great. Some time later I put a set of shark jaws on it, mainly to give some finger space between the back of bowls etc and the chuck body, and I haven't taken them off since!

I have since bought a second-hand Bonham tommy-bar style chuck, which works fine, but isn't as convenient to use as the Vicmark. Especially as the lathe didn't have a spindle lock, it was great to be able to tighten and loosen the chuck with one hand.

cheers, Colin

Sturdee
27th December 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm only new to turning so I'm sure I don't know as much as those who have multiple lathes, but rather than buying extra chucks (because of the different spindle sizes) why don't you buy some spindle adaptors (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/spindleadaptor.pdf) to make them all the same.

That to me seems a cheaper and better solution.

Peter.

Cliff Rogers
27th December 2009, 08:14 PM
I do have spindle adapters for the Super Novas & the Bonham so they can be used on more than one lathe.

There is no real point to putting the small chucks on the big lathes or the big chucks on the little lathe.

Woodturnerjosh
27th December 2009, 09:24 PM
3 X Vm120's and 6 different sets of jaws.
1 X VM90 bought at the show for cheap (doesn't see much use)

I would like to get a few more 120's so I don't have to keep changing jaws! ;-)

NeilS
30th December 2009, 04:01 PM
I reckon in 5 years time you will wish you started with a Vicmark or Vermek and bought more jaws or more chucks. I started with Nova and now it is too exy to changeover to vicmarks so i am stuck with Nova.

Like Dave, if I was starting out now I would go with Vicmarc or Vermec

Coz you can't use any lathe while you are changing jaws on chucks.

... Oooo you want to know what sort. :doh:

First the lathes...

Vicmarc VL300SBEVS

JET Mini (the one I had at Prossy)

Shopsmith Mk V (Only used as a saw bench now)

Monster pedestal lathe (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mother-faceplate-lathe-22821/#post223456) made from parts from a scrap metal yard.

Chucks...

2 x VM120, one with the 485mm bowl jaws, the other with the 45mm shark jaws.

2 x SN2, one with 35mm Shark jaws.

1 x SN with 20mm pin jaws.

2 x Nova.

1 x compact clone.

1 x Bonham with 3 sets of jaws.

1 x Master Chuck.

Now the combos....

The VMs only go on the big Vicmarc.

The SNs will go on the Vicmarc or the JET.

The Novas only go on the JET.

The Bonham will go on the JET or the Monster lathe.

The Master Chuck only goes on the Shopsmith.

And I thought I had got myself into a chuck-up... but, you win jaws down, Cliff... :U

Allen Neighbors
3rd January 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm still partial to the SuperNova2s, and the NovaTitan. Jaws are interchangeable, if need be, except for the Titan Power Grip jaws.
I have 2x SN2s, 1x Titan, and a Compac. Would like to have a couple more, but can't justify it yet.

bobsreturn2003
3rd January 2010, 02:46 PM
gpw has a chuck wrth several sets of jaws for sale , looks a good price ,has anyone tried one? how did you find it?? use teknatool novas and supernovas . seem ok for most things up too 600mm . changing jaws is a pain though , putting the hex key in the battery drill makes things go quicker . happy turning bob :2tsup:

Sturdee
3rd January 2010, 04:00 PM
gpw has a chuck wrth several sets of jaws for sale , looks a good price ,has anyone tried one? how did you find it??

I've got one (through Jim Carroll) and, although my experience is limited, I have had no problems with it. Well made and solid construction and easy to use.

Peter.

TTIT
3rd January 2010, 10:17 PM

i can understand haveing sets of jaws.........???For me the advantage of multiple chucks is being able to have multiple projects on the go. While I'm waiting for glues or finishes to dry on a piece or even just letting the stresses settle out, I just take the chuck off and load the next job on another chuck. That way there's no hassles trying to remount pieces and get them back to centre properly :~

Hopefully geting chuck No.4 tomorrow if Jim is open :U

rsser
8th January 2010, 07:36 AM
gpw has a chuck wrth several sets of jaws for sale , looks a good price ,has anyone tried one? how did you find it??

I did a review of their 110mm chuck - see the reviews section.

It has had a good deal of use with VM medium shark jaws; good setup. I ground a T handled Allen key to replace the sliding T bar.

Only comment now is that there's minor failure of the finish on the casing.

TTIT
8th January 2010, 05:19 PM
Just spun up chuck No.4 - another VM100 I picked up at Carrolls (1st personal visit). Watch out Cliff - I'm closing in :;:U

Also grabbed a Proforme Flexicut to give to myself for xmas which I haven't even tried out yet. Just had to rub that one in :U:U:U (gotta look after No.1 :U )

rsser
8th January 2010, 05:27 PM
Go Vern!

Now there is this thing about dying before the judging .... do you wanna go there? :rolleyes: