PDA

View Full Version : Blackbutt Burl

Tony Morton
28th December 2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Everyone
Just finished this Blackbutt burl bowl about 310x90 mm first time i have tried the local blackbutt usually avoid it because of the gum viens but it didnt turn out too bad, finished with Ecowood Oil.
Cheers Tony

hughie
28th December 2009, 05:13 PM
I reckon the gum veins are challenge but when you succeed they look great.

Good one :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
28th December 2009, 07:19 PM
Tony, very pretty bowl, lovely wood.
Ad :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
28th December 2009, 07:27 PM
Nice :2tsup:

powderpost
28th December 2009, 09:05 PM
Nice looking bowl.
Jim

Ed Reiss
29th December 2009, 01:51 AM
the gum veins add a lot of interest to the piece...good one Tony :2tsup:

Texian
29th December 2009, 02:20 AM
Nice bowl and spectacular piece of wood.

artme
29th December 2009, 04:23 AM
Good ine Tony, and brave turning.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Tony Morton
29th December 2009, 09:01 AM
Hi

Thanks for the comments I was given this piece to turn for three pieces of white cedar which is still waiting for my attention. Yes as with all irregular shaped pieces until you stop turning air it can be a bit hairy but with variable speed on the STUBBY not a problem.

cheers Tony

Paulphot
29th December 2009, 09:35 AM
Great looking bowl, nice and chunky. Good job holding it together.

Willy Nelson
29th December 2009, 05:13 PM
Hello Tony
Magnificent chunk of timber there, and I like the shape. You have done a good job on the bum as well. Turning burl is always interesting, and always best left 'chunky'.

Regards
Willy
Jarrahland

Tony Morton
29th December 2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Willie

With this kindof gummy burl you need to keep some solid wall thickness as you dont know whats inside when I get it reasonably smooth Icall it quits as the next cut might open up a large sap deposit. Origionally I had a foot on it but it had a larbe flaw so I removed it I think it worked well with this bowl but I usually try to have a foot to lift the bowl and give it a better visual appearance.

Cheers Tony

PS Maybe I should have placed it in the critic post, but feel free to post any critisms of my work I've been turning for a lot of years still learning and have had many pieces condemmed by my wife only to find they are the first piece to sell at the markets we all have different tastes and interpritations of what is good.
Tony

Gil Jones
30th December 2009, 02:49 PM
Tony,
Excellent work, and beautiful wood too.
Are the "gum veins", filled with resin?
Gil

Rum Pig
30th December 2009, 03:12 PM
Very nice looking bowl well done:2tsup::2tsup: