PDA

View Full Version : Dining table complete

busyhands
29th December 2009, 10:43 PM
Hello my fellow wood whisperers. I thought I'd like to share my latest accomplishment - the completion of the dining room table. I designed it to be wheelchair accessible for my husband and big enough to have large and boisterous dinner parties - it seems to fill both requirements nicely. So, what do you think? The timber is Red Ironbark, finished with 12 coats of Livos Kunos Oil - food safe and so easy to put on and repair :D if the need arises. Look forward to seeing more of what everyone else is doing.

roland
29th December 2009, 11:16 PM
love it!

tell us more about the table top, is it a single piece ?

busyhands
30th December 2009, 07:49 AM
The top is made from 12 boards - dominoed together, cut and folded over at the ends to make it look twice as thick as it actually is - here's a shot of the underside during construction. The metal frame forms the support and is the frame to attach to the base plinth.

busyhands
30th December 2009, 09:34 AM
Ooops - those attachments didn't work - try this.

zedda
30th December 2009, 10:40 AM
Very nice. Looks like it weighs a ton though, is it easy to move?

DJ’s Timber
30th December 2009, 10:54 AM
Very nice and well thought out and constructed :H

Hope you allowed for expansion and contraction with fitting the steel frame to the underside of the top, would hate to see some cracks develop or screws breaking.

On a different note, I did a delivery down to Metung on Reynolds Rd a few weeks ago, it is a very nice area but it was windy when I was there, is it always windy there?

busyhands
30th December 2009, 04:34 PM
Yep - plenty of expansion room - no cracking on this table.
And yes, it is always pretty windy down here - particularly around Reynolds Rd (you would have passed my house on the way there!) it's open to Lake King and apart from a thin stretch of land - gets all the wind straight off the ocean.

The table does way a ton - took six people to lift the top on its own. It's not going anywhere fast!

Fencepost2
30th December 2009, 04:37 PM
It is a beauty Busyhands! Congratulations. I think I would want to be running my hands along the edge of those boards every time I walked by or sat at the table. Best wishes for some super dinner parties.

BozInOz
30th December 2009, 06:28 PM
top job
any other WIP pics?

Mr Brush
30th December 2009, 06:33 PM
In the event of an earthquake......."Quick, everyone under the table !!!!" :)

Very nice job indeed - love that folded edge idea to make the top look thicker.

Well done :2tsup:

flynnsart
30th December 2009, 07:09 PM
Great job:2tsup:

Donna

AlexS
3rd January 2010, 06:12 PM
Nice work, Busyhands. I love the design - you've made a big square table out of a heavy wood and metal, yet it doesn't look horrible & 'chunky'. It's very well proportioned. Nice finish, too - Kunos is my favourite.

tea lady
3rd January 2010, 10:23 PM
As others have said already, fantastic. :2tsup: And I love the little metal squares detail.:cool:

artme
24th January 2010, 05:31 AM
Soory!! Missed this before!

Beautiful work on a well thought out design.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Harry72
24th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Me too Artme, very nice Busy one:)

crebra
26th January 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi,
At the risk of showing how much I don't know, how do you ensure against ironbark splitting at the joins - even if it is well dried when using?
Roger

busyhands
26th January 2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Roger, so far, I have not had any problems with this. The timber was well seasoned and is in a fairly stable climate (we live in a strawbale house where the temperature is fairly even). It's been joined for about 10 months now and there's no sign of any movement yet. :)

crebra
26th January 2010, 05:19 PM
Ki,
I've made some kitchen benchtops from ironbark that I mikked from logs that were felled at least 15years ago and they are still moving. Did you join them with a biscuit joiner or similar and if you glued them - what glue did you use?

busyhands
26th January 2010, 05:24 PM
The boards were joined using dominoes (like floating tenons) and glued using Titebond Type III. The top was screwed onto a metal frame with plenty of room for expansion in the holes. Hope this helps.

crebra
26th January 2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go.
Rgds Roger

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2010, 06:41 PM
Ki,
I've made some kitchen benchtops from ironbark that I mikked from logs that were felled at least 15years ago and they are still moving. Did you join them with a biscuit joiner or similar and if you glued them - what glue did you use?

I noticed that you said 15yrs since they were felled, but how long ago were they milled and how long were they stacked with racking sticks till the time you made the benchtops?

If you answer, less than 2yrs for milling and stacked, then there is a good chance that they weren't dry enough.

BobL
29th January 2010, 10:00 AM
Inspirational!

Hobo
4th March 2010, 05:15 PM
I like the matched butterfly edge.

How do you like your straw bale house? I studied about the concept in architect school. They have even done a TV show here in the US on how a hay bale home is built.

Very nice table. As an architect I even like the design of your table. Your husband should have no problem. Very well done.

TP1
16th March 2010, 11:44 PM
I just saw this thread and wow! I love the table. The style and functionality come together perfectly.