PDA

View Full Version : sassafras question

darley
25th August 2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone could tell me if any health hazard in turning sassafras, I look the Ubeaut site regarding Wood Health Hazard and nothing about sassafras.

Thank you for any comments

Cheer

Darley

Salty
25th August 2004, 04:26 PM
Darley,
Bootle (Wood in Australia, ISBN 0 07 451047 9) lists three Sassafras species and none of them have any indication of being hazardous. Mind you - things change with the accumulation of time and knowledge and this book is now almost 20 years old! The Southern Sassafras Athosperma moschatum is listed as especially good for Turnery, brush stocks??:confused:, handles, textile bobbins, shoe heels, bungs for casks, carving and, because of its low tannins, clothes pegs.

Restorer
25th August 2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Darley,
Have worked with sassy and far as I know there isn't any major health hazards, but you may like to contact Tasman as I know that he has stocks of and works with sassy a lot, he may be able to give you the low down on it.

Cheers Restorer

Don Nethercott
25th August 2004, 09:05 PM
Darley,
Elsewhere on this forum it states that in Australia all wood dust is now classified as carcinogenic (liable to cause cancer).
Go to http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm
However this should not be a concern if you take the normal precautions to protect your lungs from dust.
1) You MUST wear a reliable dust mask, ie Racal, Trend or Triton
2) A good dust ectractor will take out a lot of the dust, especially if it vents outside (mine is a Jet that sits on top of a 44 gallon drum, with a 5 inch tube out the window to the filter)
3) A good room air cleaner - essential if other people come into the room. Dust can hang around for up to 24 hours - so your family could be at risk if they come into the area within that time. My room air cleaner (Carba-Tec) cycles the air in the room every 70 seconds.
Regards
Don

darley
26th August 2004, 08:42 AM
Thank you very much for the info, Don I'm very far away from your workshop set up mayby one day.

Than you

Darley

rsser
27th August 2004, 02:18 PM
I've turned blackheart sassafras Darley without immediate reactions.

But wood can be bad for you in a number of ways, and as Don suggests fine particles can build up in the lungs and give you an ugly surprise years down the track. I'm sorry to say that if you don't want to play russian roulette with your lungs, you need to use the devices that Don lists. As Covey once said, there are damn few people who on their death bed wish they'd spent more time at the office! Ditto for those feeling glad they'd saved a grand, when undergoing radiation therapy for lung cancer :(

Blow your nose after a session on the lathe: what you're seeing is the least damaging part of the equation; the rest is sitting in your lungs.

Don Nethercott
27th August 2004, 09:53 PM
Darley,
It concerns me that many people on this forum are discussing what lathe they can afford with a little left over for a few tools. While it is possible to gradually accumulate the bits and pieces you need for most hobbies, woodworking is not one of those.

Woodworking needs money up front if you don't want serious lung problems later on.
At the very least get yourself a powered respirator. These will keep your lungs clear and as they have a face mask, protect your face from that bit of timber that might fly off unexpectedly.

Have a look at the Purelite facemask and others thread. While I have a Trend, I would be going for the Triton now because it offers additional protection, has its battery pack and filters on a belt at the back, and is much cheaper than the others.

Whatever you get make sure it meets Australian Standard AS1716. From my reading of the specs it seems it will keep out most nasties, including the SARS virus.
Regards
Don

darley
27th August 2004, 10:46 PM
Thank you both of you ( rsser & Don ) for your comments, it's true that dust is not good for you I turn with a mask from the chin to the noze and 2 cartridges, I save now for the triton mask as I try on day at a friend place is a beautyyy. so I just to have to wait for the triton mask to come as I got some Mulga to turn .

Thank you again

Darley

woodbitz
13th September 2004, 10:01 PM
Turning with BLACK HEART sassafras has a problem in such that the creation of the colouring is by FUNGI. Can upset respiration quite severly. I use a fair quantity of this material though. You must use respiratory protection

Terry Porter
20th September 2004, 09:17 PM
My research show that sassafras can be an irritant to the skin and respiratory system and is a suspected carcinogen.

In my recently published book 'Wood, Identification and Use' I have tried to outline the possible health risks for as many woods as I could get information on. So, I am always interested in hearing about other woods I haven't managed to get data on yet.

I think the worst one I came across in my research is Mansonia, which I will never put on my lathe because, 'The spinters go septic, Dust can cause nosebleeds, sneezing, skin irritation, asthma, respiratory problems, headache, nausea, vomiting and cardiac disorders. The bark contains mansonin, a digitalis cardiac poison.!!' Also beware of Ceylon Satinwood, which can cause swelling of the scrotum, so I'm told.

On a more general note, the inhalation of wood dust from any wood is bad for your health, so use respiratory protection.

Happy Turning

Terry

rsser
20th September 2004, 09:32 PM
Recently came across a note in Fine Woodworking - reported that the US association of occupational hygienists (or somesuch) now describe wood dust as a carcinogen on par with asbestos.

Tony Morton
20th September 2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Darley
I am told that Tallowwood is another one that is very carsonogenic the dust causing nasal cancer, Dont dispare there are safe timbers and we all should have air filters of some sort or other.
Cheers Tony

ubeaut
21st September 2004, 12:17 AM
Just as an aside. Be particularly cautious with any spalted timber. It is highly prized for woodturning and can be very hazardous to your health. As Woodbitz rightly said "the creation of the colouring (called spalting) is by FUNGI" this is a live mould that can be inhaled into the lungs and do some pretty bad damage.http://www.ubeaut.biz/dizzy.gif

As Don quotes from our badwoods page "in Australia all wood dust is now classified as carcinogenic (liable to cause cancer).:eek:

:mad: DON'T RISK IT - In the long term, no timber dust is safe to inhale! http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbdown.gif

darley
21st September 2004, 08:50 AM
Thank you all off you for those infos it seem to me that we got a very dangerous obby, but a beautifull one :cool: I will keep my mask on

Darley