PDA

View Full Version : Just practicing!

tea lady
3rd January 2010, 11:30 PM
After returning from Kiewa I decided I'd do some actual practice with the skew, and turn all those bits of useless pallet wood into pretty kindling. :cool: So I turned lots of beads on a 50mm diameter stick with a skew. Don't think I can really burn 'em. Maybe I'll turn 'em into one of those bobbin turned funny side tables or plant stands. :D Got 1 and 1/2 so far. :cool: Did I mention I used a skew? :D

Rippa
4th January 2010, 12:00 AM
Well done Tea Lady you could cut them up and make a foot massager with them. I keep telling myself to do that instead of ruining good timber :doh:
Rippa

Texian
4th January 2010, 06:57 AM
Pretty darn nice stick TL, especially done with a SKEW! Maybe a rolling pin for some groovy pastry? It really would be a shame to use it for firewood.

DJ’s Timber
4th January 2010, 07:05 AM
Sorry but I'm going to have to give you a Fail on this assignment :no: you've removed the pencil marks :U :roflmao:

Tony Morton
4th January 2010, 07:51 AM
Hey DJ Thats the idea of sanding to remove the pencil and tool marks. Good exercise Anna-Maria.

Cheers Tony

Groggy
4th January 2010, 08:26 AM
Nicely done AM. I tried that exercise one day and it didn't look anywhere as neat or even as yours.

jefferson
4th January 2010, 08:31 AM
What, Tea Lady, no cussin'? :D

And I think you forgot to cut alternative coves (and fillets), just to complete the exercise.

has your 1 inch skew with him for you to collect. Tormek sharp.

Jim Carroll
4th January 2010, 08:41 AM
Well done Tea Lady persistance pays off.

Rum Pig
4th January 2010, 08:48 AM
Well done:2tsup::2tsup:
I'm still not best friends with my skew maybe I need more bonding time:D

Allen Neighbors
4th January 2010, 09:43 AM
Hoorah for you, TeaLady!! I've never been able to even start this exercise with a skew.
Lookin' good!!

jerryc
4th January 2010, 09:51 AM
Congratulations Tea Lady. My lathe is dusty as it hasn't been used for four years. Giving me the impetus to return to it. Question -- Did you use the point or the other end.? I spenmt some time with Gordon Stokes in UK a few years back and he was a great advocate of the point. Does good work but is a brute to control

Jerry

oldiephred
4th January 2010, 09:55 AM
Nice job Tea. I also practiced with the skew on the week end but have no pictures. Made eggs and acorns. Acorns?? Well one needs an imigination and I am lacking in that area so----- acorns.

tea lady
4th January 2010, 10:47 AM
Congratulations Tea Lady. My lathe is dusty as it hasn't been used for four years. Giving me the impetus to return to it. Question -- Did you use the point or the other end.? I spenmt some time with Gordon Stokes in UK a few years back and he was a great advocate of the point. Does good work but is a brute to control

Jerry:no: No! The short end. uses it that way too.:cool: I think he had a muck around with someone that used the point once and they decided that both ways were OK! :D

What, Tea Lady, no cussin'? :D Well, maybe just once. :whistling:

And I think you forgot to cut alternative coves (and fillets), just to complete the exercise. That will be the next one. :cool:

has your 1 inch skew with him for you to collect. Tormek sharp.:wave:

wheelinround
4th January 2010, 12:02 PM
No wonder we haven't seen any pics fro Kiewa DJ she's been to busy in the shed playing.

a nice set of Christmas bawbles TL

Grumpy John
4th January 2010, 04:47 PM
Well done TL, isn't it funny - the more you practice, the better you get. How's the Tough lathe going, are you happy with it?

munruben
4th January 2010, 04:55 PM
Well done TL looks good. :2tsup:

nalmo
4th January 2010, 07:14 PM
No better feeling than perservering and getting it right. Well done.

Ad de Crom
4th January 2010, 07:27 PM
TL, very well done. It showing your skills, you are braver than I am.
Ad :2tsup:

Ozkaban
4th January 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi TL. Nice work - they're all remarkably even :2tsup:

That's one exercise that I should do a lot more of, 'cos I suck at it :rolleyes: and that's the only way I know of improving.

Thanks for posting and reminding me of what I'm supposed to be doing :D

Cheers,
Dave

hughie
4th January 2010, 07:45 PM
And one more for the record. Well done:2tsup: A good exercise well executed and never mind the pencil marks. :U

powderpost
4th January 2010, 09:10 PM
Well done T.L. There are four "moulds", or shapes in spindle turning. Beads, coves, fillets and tapers. Now you can cut out every second bead with the skew and cut coves with a spindle gouge, between the beads, leaving a "shoulder" or fillet between the bead and cove.
Again well done.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
4th January 2010, 09:54 PM
Nice effort TL
I see the bonding at turnfest gave you added impetus.

I've managed to turn one of them in a row, then go beauty got this nailed, then produce spirals :rolleyes:

Think I'm a bit in Rum Pig's camp - need more bonding time

tea lady
4th January 2010, 10:30 PM
I've managed to turn one of them in a row, then go beauty got this nailed, then produce spirals :rolleyes:
:D If you look carefully at the second one from the left you may see the remnants of a spiral. But I didn't let it beat me.:brucelee:

:D

Sawdust Maker
4th January 2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah I should get at the beads and other exercises more
especially now I've got that super dooper skew from Mr Thompson (in a nice jarrah handle).
but the skew is my tool of choice for pens
trouble is enough shed time to even do the little I manage to accomplish.

tea lady
5th January 2010, 12:11 AM
At least you don't have to worry about the finish on practice pieces. :cool: Or sanding really. :D Just make curlies. :elefant:

Ed Reiss
5th January 2010, 01:12 PM
OK, TL, now one handed.

Cliff Rogers
5th January 2010, 01:20 PM
Well done, now do it again, & then left handed, & then, like Ed says, one handed. :2tsup:

tea lady
5th January 2010, 08:28 PM
Well done, now do it again, & then left handed, & then, like Ed says, one handed. :2tsup::? I WAS using both hands. Ie: swapping the front hand. Doesn't everyone? :whistling: :p And one handed? :rolleyes: I can do that with the sizing tool, with the other hand holding the calipers.:cool:

dai sensei
5th January 2010, 10:52 PM
Good practice TL, looking good :cool:

hey what happended to that big banksia I cast for your beads? Did it work?

tea lady
5th January 2010, 10:58 PM
Good practice TL, looking good :cool:

hey what happended to that big banksia I cast for your beads? Did it work?
:C Still haven't quite got a roundtoit.:rolleyes: A few things to nut out. :think:

tea lady
10th January 2010, 12:25 PM
More practicing.:cool: Seems some people were worried by the lack of pencil marks.:rolleyes: also said I need to do bigger ones. And work up to 6 inch ones that go on verandah posts.:C That practice wood might be a little more hard to come by.:C

Anyway, so here ya go. Pencil marks and round balls about 50mm diameter. (I can't say 5 centimeters either apparently cos that is for dress making.:doh: ) Got a bit thin in between and wobbled a bit. :rolleyes:

So where's all YOUR practice pieces then guys? :p

Ozkaban
10th January 2010, 12:34 PM

Touche!

The dog ate it, or something like that :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
10th January 2010, 12:44 PM

they all wound up in the woodstove :q:D:D:D

Looks as if your doing real well with the skew TL :2tsup: