PDA

View Full Version : Folding Lathe Bench??

Allen Neighbors
4th January 2010, 05:06 AM
I have a Vicmarc VL100 bench model, that I carry with me when I travel. I normally use it sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Sometimes my truck has to be parked in a position that isn't conducive to turning at the tailgate.:(
I would like to make a folding table that is lightweight as possible, yet still sturdy enough to hold the lathe.
Does anyone have any plans, links, photos, or ideas that I might try?
Thanks in advance, for any and all help.:)

brendan stemp
4th January 2010, 06:39 PM
Try a second hand ironing board. Very handy things. Can be set easily at a variety of heights and would be very useful for other things. Might need some reinforcing for the VL100 but worth a thought.

hughie
4th January 2010, 07:35 PM
Hi Al,

I have a sturdy folding workbench, the design could modified for what you want, give me a couple of days and I will post a couple of pics....gotta dig it out of the garage :U

powderpost
4th January 2010, 09:16 PM
I tried the ironing board idea, it worked ok. Had to weld washers onto the end of the legs and drive a peg through the washer for stability. I made up a top from 1/2" ply with a length 50 x 25 down each side. It was reasonsbly successful.
Jim

woodwork wally
4th January 2010, 11:38 PM
Gidday Wehave a fold up workbench made to stand on so is strong enough and it is adjustable for height and several guys in our club [including me] have them for touring . I find I can use mine either sitting or standing [crook back]. we put a pine deck on and attach lathe to that with quick release and they are bluuuddddy terrific . they sell around the $55 to $65 here in Australia I have seen similar units advertised in an American mag for handymen cheers for now ww.wally

Tornatus
5th January 2010, 12:30 AM
I have a Vicmarc VL100 bench model, that I carry with me when I travel. I normally use it sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Sometimes my truck has to be parked in a position that isn't conducive to turning at the tailgate.:(
I would like to make a folding table that is lightweight as possible, yet still sturdy enough to hold the lathe.
Does anyone have any plans, links, photos, or ideas that I might try?
Thanks in advance, for any and all help.:)

G'day Allen

The niftiest folding bench for a VL100 I have seen was an aluminium combination ladder/work platform which folded in three parts and could be locked in an inverted U bench configuration at just the right height. It was bought from Bunnings, our local version of Home Depot, and looked like this:

wheelinround
5th January 2010, 08:26 AM
Try Bunnings or Mitre 10 Home hardware they all have foldable adjustable work platforms about $60. I use one for here at home as well as out light weight and wide enough to mount the Jet mini on and make sure you get a board to mount it on I just use a Pine Board with blocks so it sits into. Hasn't moved yet.:2tsup:

Oh Make sure you look at length especially at Bunnies 800 900 or 1.2 are available the 1.2 price seems to jump by double.:o

hughie
5th January 2010, 08:48 AM
Try Bunnings or Mitre 10 Home hardware they all have foldable adjustable work platforms about $60.

:U might be a logistics issue here Allen is in Texas USA, still he has always wanted a trip down under. What a great excuse, " I'm just popping out to Bunnies Dear, wont be long"

wheelinround
5th January 2010, 08:50 AM
:U might be a logistics issue here Allen is in Texas USA, still he has always wanted a trip down under. What a great excuse, " I'm just popping out to Bunnies Dear, wont be long"

:doh: well at least he could experience real Aussie hospitality and wood

Allen Neighbors
5th January 2010, 11:21 AM
Brendan, good idea.
Hughie - waiting with bated breath for the pics.
Powderpost - I was imaginin' that in my mind when I read your post. I gotta have something that won't take up a lot of room in my ute.
Wally - the link didn't work. I'd like to see it. Been thinking about a Workmate 225, but I'd rather build it.
Tornatus - that's something really worth looking into... I could use it for getting ontop of the trailer, too.
Hang on... I'll see what she thinks about that... "I'm just popping out to Bunnies, dear, won't be long".
Well, she's just quiltin', grinnin', and shakin' her head....... :D

Texian
5th January 2010, 12:53 PM
Allen,
Built some light weight, folding "craft" tables 20+ years ago when we tried to do "craft" shows. Still get used for annual "Holiday Bazaar", but seem to have gained weight in 20 years. Quarter inch plywood on 1x2 frames with 1x2 legs and a couple strategic braces. They are 15-7/8" wide x 8 ft.long, but of course could be made smaller. Designed for vertical load, to support 200 lbs. or more when loaded carefully, close to the legs.

No drawings but can shoot some pictures and email in a couple days if you want. Simple design so you could build it from photos.

Allen Neighbors
5th January 2010, 03:02 PM
Sounds good, Texian. All help & ideas are appreciated. Wood like to see pics if possible.

wheelinround
5th January 2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/125773d1262641586-kiewa-turn-get-together-2009-pics-doug.jpg

Here you go mine is similar the legs adjust

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks Ray
I was about to take a piccy of mine. I stand on mine for painting, fruit picking etc.

It's not readily apparent from the piccy but the legs have a locking mechanism and adjust to three heights with a spring loaded locking pin in each leg. So one could probably drill holes to have an in between height if desired.

Allen Neighbors
6th January 2010, 02:00 AM
Ray, thanks a lot. That looks like a keeper for sure. Now I'll give a google, and see what that'd set Her Majesty back.... :D

hughie
10th January 2010, 12:01 PM
Here you go Al, sorry for the delay had to wait until the weekend to dig the bench out.

It basically fold up to about 4" thick, one leg inside the other, made from square tube welded to ether. Hinge points are 1/2" rod tack welded in,Its quite heavy as this one was designed as a welding table no top so I could get my clamps around the work and across the centre.

wheelinround
10th January 2010, 12:12 PM
Ray, thanks a lot. That looks like a keeper for sure. Now I'll give a google, and see what that'd set Her Majesty back.... :D

That ones not mine the photo is from the Kiewa turn recently mine is similar though.

It set me back $59 its 900mm L x 300 w I have two also push pin adjustable legs both Gorilla Brand.

All Aussie hardware stores have them on special from time to time but be careful which size you get they range from 800m L to 1500 L but rarely do you get the longer ones for less than $150+.

Ray