PDA

View Full Version : Delrin - Group purchase ?

Sawdust Maker
7th January 2010, 05:00 PM
I thought I'd get some delrin rod to make some bushes for use when I am finishing my creations.

Trouble is I only require about half a metre.
The two places I've contacted have minimum purchases of $50 or $80

I've only got prices over the phone from Allplastics which are not far from me.
They've suggested these prices
- 20 mm rod - natural $22 per metre
- 20 mm rod - black $13.75 per metre
- 16 mm rod - natural $8.69 per metre
- 16 mm rod - black $9.35 per metre
They have a minimum order of $50 - I'm not real confident about these prices as the person in the know is on leave this week. But I think they are indicative.

My biggest bushes (at the moment) are about 15 mm so could probably get away with the 16 mm but am happy to go to the 20 mm if anyone is interested. the 20 mm would also give a bigger leeway for error in drilling. I reckon half a metre would make about 25 - 30 bushes

As I really don't need more then say half a metre do others want to participate? I'd be happy to go to 750mm or a metre if there were limited numbers interested. I'm trying not to spend $50 and end up with stock I really don't require. And I would rather spend $13.75 and have a little stock left over then spend $50 and have heaps.

It may be possible to get it cheaper. I haven't even asked for prices from the minimum $80 per order people. They are a couple of suburbs away.

I also have no idea how much this stuff weighs - so if there were postage involved I couldn't guess how much it might cost. But I could cut to length for prepaid paks.

So anyone interested? and if so an indication of what you would like.

BoomerangInfo
7th January 2010, 05:08 PM
Err, why would 20mm natural be more than black, and vice versa for 16mm? Should the 20mm black be $23.75?

Russell.

chrisb691
7th January 2010, 05:26 PM
Have a look here. (http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?cat=489&keyword=delrin&type5=offcuts-galore&i=30) I dealt with this guy before, and have never had a problem.

Sawdust Maker
7th January 2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Chris
pricing doesn't look any better then I was (?) quoted. But he does have the shorter lengths and no minimum.

Russell
yep I noticed the discrepancy hence my comment that I wasn't too sure of the accuracy of the prices - got them from two sales people - the main guy there next week - expect I'll double check then.

I'd expect the black to be dearer as it has to be colour changed (or so I believe)

Dorno
8th January 2010, 06:28 PM
Keep me in mind if your going further as i could probably do with making some derilin bushes and the price was right myself.

Cheers Ian

Sawdust Maker
8th January 2010, 09:49 PM
Just took a sierra blank off Delrin bushes after being dipped in lacquer a number of times over the past week (I bought some in the exotic blanks group purchase)

The lacquer did not adhere to the Delrin making it extremely easy to retrieve the blank without any chipping of the lacquer on the ends - a problem I've been experiencing with the standard bushes even after waxing.

Dorno
If I get enough interest and if it goes ahead I'll keep you in the loop :2tsup:

I've still to do a little research on pricing.:D

dai sensei
8th January 2010, 10:41 PM
Thick cutting boards works for me, a set of bushes ends up about 20c

Let me know if you want some, I'll knock some out

Sawdust Maker
9th January 2010, 07:14 PM
Thick cutting boards works for me, a set of bushes ends up about 20c

Let me know if you want some, I'll knock some out

Thanks
do they have the same release of the delrin?
I was/am pretty impressed with the way the lacquer didn't stick to the delrin ie released heaps better then the waxing of the iron bushes

dai sensei
9th January 2010, 10:05 PM
They are teflon, so nothing really sticks, although finishes do build up and the need regular cleaning vioa scraping.

I use stell bushes for size and then use the cutting board ones for sanding & finishing. When doing CA finishes the CA does build up thickness, so I use cone shaped bushes these days (see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/teflon-bushes-final-sanding-finishing-polishing-80767/) for WIP) and use a very sharp small skew to score the CA before pulling the blanks off and final polishing. If you don't score the CA, sure as the CA will break where you don't want it to :-