PDA

View Full Version : red gum burl resin bowl

lonepine
8th January 2010, 01:29 AM
red gum resin bowl (http://www.woodworkforums.com/blogs/lonepine/red-gum-resin-bowl-619/)

hi all i am 16 this is my bowl i have been doing it off and on it was hard as a rock.:doh: i think i spent more time at the grinder than i did turning.:~ it is filled with a glass resin and than sprayed with lacquer. and the clock was a scrap bit that seemed to good to throw away. :roll: hope u all like them

brendan stemp
8th January 2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry Lonepine, but way too glossy for my liking. Nice shape to the bowl though. You have done very well on this front. There are times when a high gloss works well and perhaps this piece would look better in the flesh. I'm not sure if this is simply a personal opinion or whether there is more to choosing such a finish than I can articulate. I have seen pieces that are well suited to the high gloss, glass like finish and they tend to be hollow forms without so much colour variation in the timber.

I like the shape of the clock, a very creative shape. Well done. I hope my comments don't deflate your enthusiasm as it is obvious you have some talent and should keep persevering.

orraloon
8th January 2010, 07:37 PM
I am not a fan of the hi gloss either but have to say it is well done. I like the shape of the bowl and clock too. A real good start for anybody.
And welcome to the site.

Regards
John

GoGuppy
8th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Hi lonepine
Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Great bowl with beautiful figuring in the wood :2tsup: and the clock is well done too.
Keep it up and explore other types of finishing, such as oil and waxing, or danish oil, or even just in the raw! These finishes are generally also easier to apply (faster) so that you can spend more time turning...:wink:.
Cheers

orificiam
8th January 2010, 08:49 PM
Congratulation Lonepine a great result.
Cheers Tony.

tea lady
8th January 2010, 10:31 PM
Amazing looking pieces Lonepine. Can hardly see them through the shine, but I love the forms. Nicely turned.:2tsup: Did you do these at school? Or in a home workshop? :)

Sawdust Maker
8th January 2010, 10:35 PM
LP
great work
I have to agree a little too glossy - but the red gum burl looks fantastic - you've turned a great shape. I'd suggest you check out the oils - I think most of us would use danish oil on such a creation It makes it look more natural and less plasticy

Welcome to the forum. I like your avatar name, I hope you have diggers in the family tree :2tsup:

And I really hope you take these comments in the spirit intended. You have a good eye for shape and I think we expect to see a lot more of your work.

dai sensei
8th January 2010, 11:03 PM
Well done :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
9th January 2010, 12:06 AM
Hi ya' Lonepine ...welcome to the asylum:U

Have to add my bid to the glossy look, not the best for most turnings. If available, Waterlox is an excellent tung oil finish.

I noticed that "jaws" is about to swallow up the clock :cool:

Will be looking forward to seeing more turnings from you:2tsup:

lonepine
9th January 2010, 01:19 AM
Amazing looking pieces Lonepine. Can hardly see them through the shine, but I love the forms. Nicely turned.:2tsup: Did you do these at school? Or in a home workshop? :)
I did not do this at school i have my own workshop at home.

lonepine
9th January 2010, 01:50 AM
Sorry Lonepine, but way too glossy for my liking. Nice shape to the bowl though. You have done very well on this front. There are times when a high gloss works well and perhaps this piece would look better in the flesh. I'm not sure if this is simply a personal opinion or whether there is more to choosing such a finish than I can articulate. I have seen pieces that are well suited to the high gloss, glass like finish and they tend to be hollow forms without so much colour variation in the timber.

I like the shape of the clock, a very creative shape. Well done. I hope my comments don't deflate your enthusiasm as it is obvious you have some talent and should keep persevering. The bowl does not look as glossy in the flesh. but does have a high shine. I picked this finish because the resin in is about 35% of the bowl which is clear like glass and you can actully see through the bowl , the top of the bowl has a pure resin rim, and the high shine matched the glass like look of the resin. Thanks for your comments

brendan stemp
9th January 2010, 09:20 AM
It's very hard to photograph glossy pieces because you are dealing with strong reflections, so I can imagine in the flesh it would look less glossy. I use a lot of resin with my work so I understand your point about the galssy finish of the resin. But if you put, let's say, a satin finish over the resin then the resin will be 'toned down' to a satin finish. I use a spry on nitrocellulose lacquer which would be ideal for this style of work. Hope this helps. There is a lot to learn, isn't there?

Texian
9th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Lp,
Pay no attention to those blokes. I happen to like deep, high gloss lacquer finishes, and you have done a good job on this one. The surface appears to be very smooth/level, with no orange peel or other unpleasantness. Nice bowl too. Not a big fan of clocks though.

tea lady
9th January 2010, 11:04 AM
I did not do this at school i have my own workshop at home.Lucky b8^%&!:cool:

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.:2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
9th January 2010, 01:23 PM
Excellent early work there Lonepine.

I cringe when thinking back to my first woodturning efforts. Silver frost was my preferred finish...:o. But then I had an excuse, it was the 1950's...:U.

I'm an oil and/or wax finisher for the type of work I turn nowadays.

BTW, nice foot on that bowl! IMHO, superior to many of the feet I see on this forum...:roll:

Ed Reiss
10th January 2010, 12:59 AM
BTW, nice foot on that bowl! IMHO, superior to many of the feet I see on this forum...http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/rolleye.gif

does that include the one's you do Neil??? :D

rsser
10th January 2010, 08:27 AM
The reason I myself don't like a glossy finish is that you see more reflections than wood figure, and for me turning is as much about making the most of that as it is anything else.

One option with this piece would have been to dark tint the fill in the voids; they may have come up like sap pockets.

You've still done a great job Lonepine; much better than my early efforts.

Texian
10th January 2010, 09:41 AM
Good point Ern. Super glossy is not appropriate for everything.

NeilS
10th January 2010, 10:30 AM
BTW, nice foot on that bowl! IMHO, superior to many of the feet I see on this forum...http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/rolleye.gif

does that include the one's you do Neil??? :D

Having reached a certain age I get to see less and less of my own feet these days....:U

Seriously, I think feet are the most neglected design aspect in woodturning, but this thread isn't the place to push my views on this. However, it's a topic worthy of a thread of it's own another time, where I'll expose mine... if you show us yours, Ed.......:D

hughie
10th January 2010, 10:42 AM
Having reached a certain age I get to see less and less of my own feet these days....:U

Maybe you need new glasses? :U

KenW
10th January 2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Lonepine, don't listen to anybody about the finish, do what you like.
The dowl is well turned and well sanded, otherwise the gloss finish wouldn't be as good as it is. I wish my first pieces looked as good as this one.
On your next piece try a flat finish and see what you like best.

Mulgabill
10th January 2010, 12:29 PM
Hey lonepine!
Listen to KenW and his sagacious comments.

FRB Design
17th January 2010, 08:36 PM
Stunning piece, shows alot of creative imagination. Plus the fact the piece involved alot more processes than just turning. Keep creating the way you want.

Regards ,

Frank.

Ed Reiss
19th January 2010, 01:00 PM

Seriously, I think feet are the most neglected design aspect in woodturning, but this thread isn't the place to push my views on this. However, it's a topic worthy of a thread of it's own another time, where I'll expose mine... if you show us yours, Ed.......:D

sounds like a turning challenge glove has just been dropped:wink: ...any rules:?

NeilS
19th January 2010, 06:38 PM
sounds like a turning challenge glove has just been dropped:wink: ...any rules:?

Me and my big mouth.....:o

Ed, what I was thinking of was more of a discussion, with the occasional example to illustrate a point, rather than a 'challenge'.

Give me a few weeks (I'm presently struggling to complete some exhibition pieces against a fast approaching deadline) and I will start a new thread on the topic, if that is OK according to the rules of chivalry or is it Marquess of Queensberry rules....:U

artme
20th January 2010, 08:32 AM
G'day Lonepine and welcome to the world of many opinions!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wonderful turning and finishing young fella!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Keep them coming and try different ifnishes as suggested above.

bowl-basher
21st January 2010, 08:46 AM
The bowl does not look as glossy in the flesh. but does have a high shine. I picked this finish because the resin in is about 35% of the bowl which is clear like glass and you can actully see through the bowl , the top of the bowl has a pure resin rim, and the high shine matched the glass like look of the resin. Thanks for your comments

Hi Lonepine
I am just about to start on a table for SWMBO :((:((from a redgum slab
That will need a lot of filling and was wondering just what you used on that smic bowl as it may be just what I need
Regards
Bowl-Basher

artme
21st January 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi Lonepine
That will need a lot of filling and was wondering just what you used on that smic bowl as it may be just what I need
Regards
Bowl-Basher

So, we are to become a slab basher BB. Nothing like a bit of versatility!!!:q:q:q

lonepine
22nd January 2010, 02:16 AM
Hi Lonepine
Regards
Bowl-Basher Hi I used Aristocrat resin it comes in different sizes
Thanks for your comment hope this helps

bowl-basher
22nd January 2010, 07:42 AM
So, we are to become a slab basher BB. Nothing like a bit of versatility!!!:q:q:q
Any thing to get more shed time:D:D:D:D:D
but the center leg/support will be turned from red gum
just not sure how yet:~:~.... to tell the truth I am a bit out of my comfort zone... I will ask you lot for help when the time comes
Bowl Basher

bowl-basher
22nd January 2010, 07:43 AM
Hi I used Aristocrat resin it comes in different sizes

thanks who did you get it from ???
Bowl -Basher

bowl-basher
22nd January 2010, 07:44 AM
Hi I used Aristocrat resin it comes in different sizes

Thanks for that do they or the supplier have a web site???
Bowl - Basher

lonepine
22nd January 2010, 01:57 PM
thanks who did you get it from ???
Bowl -Basher
hi i got mine from paint city there is a similar one at bunnings.

lonepine
22nd January 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for that do they or the supplier have a web site???
Bowl - Basher
sorry not to sure.

Poppa
25th January 2010, 03:08 PM
Saw this bowl in the flesh and it is wonderful. Well done lonepine.

Imagery
21st April 2010, 03:08 PM
Gorgeous bowl, well done :)

Jack of
21st April 2010, 08:49 PM
I just love the high gloss finish. Im in the process of turning up a red gum lamp at the moment, and while it isnt a burl :( you have convinced me to give it a major high gloss finish.

steck
23rd April 2010, 11:45 PM
Lovely work, Lonepine.
:2tsup: