PDA

View Full Version : Weighting Chisel handles?

smidsy
27th August 2004, 02:56 AM
Hei Guys,
The instructor at my wood turning group was saying that some of the pro wood turners weight their roughing gouge with lead in the handle - apparently the extra weight means the chisel is not thrown as much and you get less of a beating on your wrist during the roughing stage.
Has anyone every tried this, thoughts/ideas?
Cheers Paul

Jeff
27th August 2004, 05:49 AM
For my roughing tools especially, I try to get as much weight in the handles as possible. I've yet to set aside a cutting tool because it's been too heavy. I turn some very ragged and uneven pieces of wood and have found that wearing vibration-absorbing gloves makes a big difference to my wrists while doing especially rough work. I have some that are open at the fingertips so I don't sacrifice control at all. I have found that when wearing them it does increase the overall amount of bulk inside my closed hand, and therefor have turned a little off the handles for a better grip. These were handles that I had originally made a bit larger to fit my hands. Some of the tools I have bought have handles that are a little small for my hand as far as diameter, requiring an overly tightly closed grip, which can be tiring as well as reduce fine control. I have grown to like longer and longer handles on my tools, but some jobs need the short tools, and I'd reccomend starting out with the latter. I find that as I've become more comfortable working with the cutting tip farther past the toolrest, as in deep-hollowing cuts, there is a distinct safety issue that requires longer handles to allow the turner a safe margin of leverage behind the toolrest to avoid a catch.

rsser
27th August 2004, 02:10 PM
Smidsy,

I replaced the handle on my roughing gouge with a solid redgum job, and the heavier weight helps, but I'd have to say that rough is as rough does. You expect vibration and the rest of it since your tool is intially only connecting with the high points. If you continue with the tool for finer cuts, then a well weighted handle helps.

As Jeff suggests, the counter-weighting strategy may be pursued more in the case of deep hollowing rather than roughing.

In this case, I'm a fan of custom-made tool rests to minimise the overhang - means less effort, and less chatter gives a finish that needs less sanding.

Alastair
27th August 2004, 02:42 PM
As the tendency to grab when deep hollowing with a long overhang tends to be dynamic, and self reinforcing, I am dubious as to how effective weighting is. I have seen and used variations of the Jamieson system:

http://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/index.asp

And found this to be very good at controlling the grab

Alastair

smidsy
27th August 2004, 03:57 PM
Hei Guys,
I've made two handles for home made chisels and like you guys I find it better to able to make the handle to suit me so all the chisels I buy will be unhandled.
The other thing I've started doing on advice of the instructor is using a bowl gouge instead ot roughing gouge - the shape is the same but the smaller cut means less stress on the work and on your wrist.
Cheers
Paul

Baz
27th August 2004, 08:39 PM
Smidsy, I use a 16mm spindle gouge and a 16mm bowl gouge for roughing turning bowls, when I made the handles I drilled the butt and filled with lead shot, then made a plug to suit. I am very happy with them, I find that I don't suffer so much from Carple Tunnel Syndrome any more after a day of turning.
Cheers
Barry

smidsy
27th August 2004, 08:59 PM
Hei Baz,
Any idea what sort of weight you put in the handle.
I have a heap of lead sheet floating around so what I had planned to do was drill the handle with a forstner bit and then cast a lead plug to suit.
Cheers
Paul

Baz
27th August 2004, 09:33 PM
Smidsy, no idea how much weight I put in, drilled a hole to the max of drill bit (16mm) from memory and filled with lead shot. One handle is Budgeroo and the other local hardwood (stud from our house), both have a Mallee burl cap.Rather than having a solid lead butt as I think you are planning I believe that the loose lead shot absorbs vibration.
Cheers
Barry